SBEII barrel finish

jjpoor

Has anyone had any problems with the finish on their barrels being scuffed or dinged easily? I have a standard 28" barrel (no camo) that doesn't seem to like being in the field or duck blind too much. Everytime I bring it home and start to clean it I find a new scuff or ding. Truth be told, I really baby this gun compared to any others that I own. I love shooting and carrying this gun, just wondered if there might be something I could do to try and safeguard the barrel a little more.

My new sbeII is scuffed also but no dings. i on the other hand beat the **** out of the gun and put it through every extrem you can think of. I have no clue on what to do to safegaurd the barrel. Its a gun use it, who cares what it looks like as long as its doing its job. As long as you clean it and take care of it, it will last a long time. You could always buy a used barrel for hunting and use the new one for trap and show. Otherwise the gun is going to get scuffed.

RG.

Who knows what finish they are putting on matte Benellis these days, it's almost like a parkerized paint finish.

My slug barrel is almost gray and scuffs just like you mention. Same for the matching regular barrel.

I just oil it and it stays dark for a few hunts.

I think it's normal for a soft matte finish.

mudhen - CA

I'm with you JJpoor I don't like the way the finish is so easy to mark. You can buy flat black paint pen from Birchwood Casey but I would rather Benelli parkerize the finish on their guns. If I hang onto this one I'll send it out and have it refinished.

[ 10-27-2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Camo ]

I appreciate the info. I'm not going to complain too much about the finish but I've only had my gun for 2 weeks and had it duck hunting 3 times. Oh well.

So does anyone have any recommendations on after market dipping? I see Briley does it. Any one else? I'm not sure if any of the local gunsmiths do it.

• 3 months later...

insanehair,

Fact is, Parkerized finishes do indeed rust.

The page you linked was a DIY Parkerizing page.

What I asked you to do was to explain how Benelli finishes their shotguns, since you seemed to know what you were talking about.

Obviously, I was mistaken on that.

[ 02-27-2005, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

M1 Super 90 – M3 Super 90

M1 Super 90 and 121 M1 have the same characteristics, however M1 Super 90 has a receiver in light alloy, treated in an electrolytic bath with black anodic oxidation, the metal parts are made in polished steel while the 121 M1 parts are phosphatised. The new M1 shotgun can be fitted with a CL barrel of 47cms and reduced magazine, a CL barrel of 50cms with standard stock or “pistol grip”, Varichoke barrel (with rib) of 66 or 71 cms, standard stock or pistol grip. All the barrels have a 76mm magnum chamber. It has fixed front sight and transversally adjustable sight, a tubolar magazine capacity of 7 cartridges (6 cartridges of 76mm) plus one in the barrel. The stock and fore-end are made of Rilsan reinforced with fiber glass. This gun is suitable for heavy use in rough conditions, it is reliable in every weather condition and it is recommended for waterfowling hunting. M3 Super 90 model has a combined system, semi-automatic and pump-action, which offers the possibility of using the widest range of cartridges without jamming. An action selector on the fore-end allows the selection of the desired type of operation. The anodized or black varnished parts are available also in the Kromo version, plain chromium plated, more resistant to oxidation. M3 barrel can be 50cm long, without rib, or Varichoke of 66 cms, with rib and internal chokes. Both barrels are magnum and CL. M3T model differentiates for its folding stock, pistol grip; its length with the stock folded is of 78cms. It is equipped with 50cm long barrel and magnum chamber. The magazine contains 7 or 6 cartridges according to their length. The rear sight is transversally adjustable and the front-sight is fixed. M1 and M3 have the receiver drilled and tapped for easy scope mounting.

[ 02-27-2005, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: crazyhair ]