brand new SBE won't cycle

chasman1015

Bought a new SBE ejects spent shell will not cycle 2nd after the first few rounds; used 3 1/4 dr.eq 7/8 oz 8 shot, approx 300 rds fired (did not enjoy it at all). Rushed my purchase for a dove shoot this coming weekend, man am I disappointed. Went shooting w/ the guy sold my 1100 to and he laughed at me all day. He said maybe I could trade my new $1200 Benelli for a used 1100 Ouch!!! I was aware of light load jamming so the salesman at Galyans sold me the above mentioned rounds. Any suggestions other than new gun or high brass at doves. please help soon. Very very disappointed first time shooter and owner of a Benelli.

Originally posted by chasman1015:

Bought a new SBE ejects spent shell will not cycle 2nd after the first few rounds; used 3 1/4 dr.eq 7/8 oz 8 shot, approx 300 rds fired (did not enjoy it at all). Rushed my purchase for a dove shoot this coming weekend, man am I disappointed. Went shooting w/ the guy sold my 1100 to and he laughed at me all day. He said maybe I could trade my new $1200 Benelli for a used 1100 Ouch!!! I was aware of light load jamming so the salesman at Galyans sold me the above mentioned rounds. Any suggestions other than new gun or high brass at doves. please help soon. Very very disappointed first time shooter and owner of a Benelli.

Benelli recommends breaking in a new SBE with 1 1/8 oz. loads or heavier for the first couple hundred rounds. This is to ensure cycling until all moving parts are broken-in. I just bought a SBE LH CAMO myself and followed their recommendation without any failures from the get-go.

Keep the faith in your SBE.

chasman, I don't know if you read my post earlier. I am having the same problem. My SBE is apprx 3 years old. It will NOT fire 3Dram rounds through it without jamming. Don't listen to anyone who says you have to shoot a heavier load through it for it to work.

There are 3 other guys on my trap team shooting SBEs and they have 0 problems. We all shoot the same loads. Locking pin wasn't the answer either.

I am going to try putting a lighter sprin in the stock and see if that is the problem.

For $1200 I am mighty pissed about this, but am not giving up.

I will post my results...

Originally posted by kpiller:

chasman, I don't know if you read my post earlier. I am having the same problem. My SBE is apprx 3 years old. It will NOT fire 3Dram rounds through it without jamming. Don't listen to anyone who says you have to shoot a heavier load through it for it to work.

There are 3 other guys on my trap team shooting SBEs and they have 0 problems. We all shoot the same loads. Locking pin wasn't the answer either.

Thanks and good luck

I am going to try putting a lighter sprin in the stock and see if that is the problem.

For $1200 I am mighty pissed about this, but am not giving up.

I will post my results...

• 2 weeks later...

I too went from an 1100 to the SBE and also had the same thoughts my first time out with the SBE.

The 'break-in' period is a little frustrating and probably 90% of new SBE owners can empathize. Please know that after cycling the required number of hi-brass shells, you too will be able to shoot the lighter loads, just have a little patience and spend a few more trips to the range to get thru this period. I can assure you - if you can shoot, you will have the last laugh on all the non SBE users. This is by far the best all around field shotgun I have ever used. There is also a little trick out there to allow your 3 shell capacity to go to four without changing your plug -

Hang in there man! You will not regret it!

• 1 month later...

What are you guys using to clean and lube your guns with. I am having some cycling problems with my SBE and I am sure it is related to the oil I am using. Has anyone used Tef Dri? I believe the problem is oil in itself. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

gbo4,you may be right,a dry gun wont cycle,thats happened to my buddy yesterday at the range,he;s so smart he forgot to slick up his Benelli Practical the night before and no cycle action happened,he tried to blame the ammo,cheap excuse.the long storage prior to shooting , told on him.What makes you think its the oil? :confused: :cool:

Originally posted by M1014:

gbo4,you may be right,a dry gun wont cycle,thats happened to my buddy yesterday at the range,he;s so smart he forgot to slick up his Benelli Practical the night before and no cycle action happened,he tried to blame the ammo,cheap excuse.the long storage prior to shooting , told on him.What makes you think its the oil? :confused: :cool:

I use nothing but Break-Free on the sliding and pivoting action parts.

I don't advise 7/8oz loads and neither does Benelli. If you want to shoot 7/8oz an 11-87 can be modified to do so and equipped with recoil compensation and an adjustable stock for about what you can get a Benelli for.