My new SBE2 giving me problems already

brandoniron

I bought my SBE2 in June. I put over 500 rounds through it during dove season in Sep. and it didn't give me any problems. Then I put about 500 more 3 1/2 rounds through during this duck season and it was fine.

Now all of a sudden it is giving me all kinds of grief. Before you read this keep in mind that I am very nice to my gun and clean it after every 30 rounds or so. I am talking about taking it apart and cleaning everything and slightly lubing everything up exactly according to the manufactor.

What it does every 5th round of shots or so, it is taking the third shell and instead of loading it into the chamber it is acually spitting it out of my gun 4 feet away. No wonder I have been going through so many shells. The first 5 times it happened I just thought that I had frogotten to put in the third shell. But a couple of weeks ago I acually saw it out of the corner of my eye fly form my gun and I went and picked it up and cussed very loud because I could have doubled on a set of greeneheads. This has happened a total of about 12 times in the last month.

Now I have switched ammunuition and it has'nt spit out a full shell yet. What it is doing now is, not loading the third shell completely into the chamber. I just have to give it a little push and then I can shoot it. I am happy doing that because at least I can get three shots out of it but still I loose time doing that.

I called Benelli and they told me to send it in but I would'nt get it back until after duck season. I just thought that if you spend $1200 on a brand new gun it should function properely for at least the first duck season.

I hope no one has this many problems. I have heard nothing but good about the SBE2 that is why I bought it.

[ 01-04-2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: brandoniron ]

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I just bought a new SBE2 and haven't put anywhere near that many rounds through it yet, but I hope mine deosn't start doing that. It would be hard to get over having my new shotgun chucking perfectly good shells into the drink.

I'm sure Benelli will correct the problem, but it sux that you have to suffer through the balance of the season with it the way it is.

Hopefully, someone here can identify the problem and tip you off as to what you could do to remedy the problem yourself.

If worse comes to worse, and you do have to send it in, please post back to this thread once the problem is identified and resolved. May be of little comfort right now, but a follow up could possibly help someone with a similar problem in the future.

Best of Luck

bp,I had the same thing happend to me but the first time I thought that it was me.I found a live shell in the field where it happened the first time.The next time was on a goose the 3ad shell tryed to eject ( live round) but got stuck on the way out of the gun.The first time it was 2 3/4 and the next was 3 1/2. Let us all know if you find out anything I thought that my new SBE 2 just needed to get broke in.Have not even shot one box through it yet.

I had that happen to me too, it was only with 2 oz. 3.5 inch loads that I don't really care to shoot any more. I did have it happen on one kent 3" 1-1/8, but I got to chalk that up to where we were hunting and the conditions of the camo blankets. both guns jammed that hunt, just too much crap kept getting in the actions.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by bp:

I bought my SBE2 in June. I put over 500 rounds through it during dove season in Sep. and it didn't give me any problems. Then I put about 500 more 3 1/2 rounds through during this duck season and it was fine.

Now all of a sudden it is giving me all kinds of grief. Before you read this keep in mind that I am very nice to my gun and clean it after every 30 rounds or so. I am talking about taking it apart and cleaning everything and slightly lubing everything up exactly according to the manufactor.

What it does every 5th round of shots or so, it is taking the third shell and instead of loading it into the chamber it is acually spitting it out of my gun 4 feet away. No wonder I have been going through so many shells. The first 5 times it happened I just thought that I had frogotten to put in the third shell. But a couple of weeks ago I acually saw it out of the corner of my eye fly form my gun and I went and picked it up and cussed very loud because I could have doubled on a set of greeneheads. This has happened a total of about 12 times in the last month.

Now I have switched ammunuition and it has'nt spit out a full shell yet. What it is doing now is, not loading the third shell completely into the chamber. I just have to give it a little push and then I can shoot it. I am happy doing that because at least I can get three shots out of it but still I loose time doing that.

I called Benelli and they told me to send it in but I would'nt get it back until after duck season. I just thought that if you spend $1200 on a brand new gun it should function properely for at least the first duck season.

I hope no one has this many problems. I have heard nothing but god about the SBE2 that is why I bought it.

[Well, I took the troublesome super black devil II out for another spin last weekend. I don't know why I keep putting myself through this grief but sense I spent so much money I wanted to use it. It started spitting out the third shell again consitintantly, so I thought I would outsmart it and only put in two shells. Well just my luck it started spitting that one out as well. I just can't win. My gun is the offical SBEII one shot wonder!

I wish Benelli would give me some advice over the phone or pay for a local gunsmith to check it out.

After duck season I am going to send it in and hopefully they either reconditon it or replace it. Regardless I am going to sell it because I am going to go for a over and under. Not much can go wrong with that hopefully. If anyone wants the one shot wonder after I get it back form Benelli the first 800 dollars takes it.

Same thing has happened to me twice and I only have fired appx. 50 rounds through my SBE 2. Like you, the first time it happened I thought it was me. But this weekend, we had a single come in and I fired once. I put another shell in the magazine. The next time I pulled up to shoot, "click". I was like WTF?? I pulled the bolt back and there was no shell in the chamber. I looked on the floor to the blind and there was an unfired shell on the floor. Now I certaintly could have dropped a shell; but, that doesn't explain how the bolt was closed with no shell in the chamber. If I had fired with the magazine empty, the bolt would have remained opened after I had shot.

Everyone in my club shoots Benelli's and they have have had no problems. I'm the only one with an SBE 2 thought. I hope I don't have a lemon but right now, I've experienced a 4% failure rate.

O yea, I clean and lube with Breakfree CLP.

I am not sure what is happening, The shotgun is ejecting the spent hull and the live shell in one cycle? I have been cycling my action and the only way I can see that happening is if you have a part missing from your shotgun. You should look in the parts book that came with your shotgun and see if you see anything that is not on your gun. Good luck guys I cant say the first bad thing about my SBEII.