Benelli M1 20 Gauge Turkey Setup

SKFOOTER

• 1 year later...

SK,

I set up my M1S90 for my son back in 2003 and tested two choke tubes then a Primo's TightWad (.570") & the UndertakerHS (.575") both preformed well to 35 yards using Federal 1-1/8 oz or #6 in a 3" Magnum Turkey Load (lead). In 2004 we tested the Remington Premier Hevi-Shot Magnum 1-1/4 oz of #6's also a 3" shell and it did very well with the UndertakerHS choke. In 2006 we tested Environmetal's Hevi-Shot 1-1/4 oz of #6's and they too patterned well with the UndertakerHS.

I selected these chokes because they were inexpensive and they were easy to come by....in 2003 & 2004 there wasn't a lot of 20 gauge turkey chokes to choose from. Today, you'll find more selection i'm sure! For the most part my M1S90 20 bore seems to shoot #6 better than #5 but if you try a slightly larger dia. choke the #5's may do as well as the #6's???

Nitro makes a load in a 3" 20 ga that is loaded with HeviShot #7 (you get high pellet count--- I think somewheres around 500 pellets) I looked at some of Nitro #7 shot and I am not convinced that they are

all truly #7 sized.... looks like there are some smaller shot than #7 mixed in there. Makes for a good swarm of shot for inside 30 yrds.

1 7/16 oz

actually,,,, the 20 ga 3" shell with that much shot going thru a 20 ga sized bore and its like youre shooting thru a tight choke.... 3" shells thru a 20 ga is notorious for shooting a long shot string... not so great for wing shots but perfect for turks.

SK,

I set up my M1S90 for my son back in 2003 and tested two choke tubes then a Primo's TightWad (.570") & the UndertakerHS (.575") both preformed well to 35 yards using Federal 1-1/8 oz or #6 in a 3" Magnum Turkey Load (lead). In 2004 we tested the Remington Premier Hevi-Shot Magnum 1-1/4 oz of #6's also a 3" shell and it did very well with the UndertakerHS choke. In 2006 we tested Environmetal's Hevi-Shot 1-1/4 oz of #6's and they too patterned well with the UndertakerHS.

I selected these chokes because they were inexpensive and they were easy to come by....in 2003 & 2004 there wasn't a lot of 20 gauge turkey chokes to choose from. Today, you'll find more selection i'm sure! For the most part my M1S90 20 bore seems to shoot #6 better than #5 but if you try a slightly larger dia. choke the #5's may do as well as the #6's???

The Undertaker chokes I have for my Benelli are .572 and .582. I have not found an Undertaker .575. I have a Carlsons .575. I may try it with the Hevi 13 #6's. How many pellets were you able to put in a 10 inch circle with any of those combos??