Problems with my new M4

Newaza

I have a new M4. I noticed when I played with it, when I first took it out of the box, that when I tried to cycle some shells through it, the lifter did not always feed the next round up into the chamber. I then took it out and shot it, and I had numerous malfunctions with several different types of good quality oo and ooo. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

My first question is did you take it apart and clean everything if it is a new weapon? Next did you check out the exentsion to make sure that you have nothing hanging up the spring in the tube?

Lets go from there and see what you got.

John

To start with it never function checked, which would tell me that i should need to do something besides shooting it in the first place!!:o Manual says needs to be cleaned after function check and that is where i would probably start with as far as troubleshooting! Manual i speak of is the Marine Manual that i am sure will have better data than what came with the gun! Why would ya shoot a gun you known has a function problem:eek:

Thanks for the replies.

I did, in fact, clean it thoroughly when I first got it home from the gun shop. I'm a clean freak with my guns, and I'm no rookie to gun ownership. (My M1 Super 90 functions flawlessly BTW). I then cycled some rounds through it, and this is when the issue first arose. I thought perhaps I was following the bolt home when I manually cycled the rounds. So I would let the bolt close shut after jacking it back in such a fashion so as to closely resemble a real shot. This seemed to help, but I would still notice some rounds getting stuck, and the lifter not picking them up. I thought the best way to find out if it really worked or not would be to take it out and shoot it.

I then installed the full length mag tube made by SOCOMguy and took it out and shot it. I probably should have left it stock before shooting it the first time. Multiple failures. It's almost as if the timing of the lifter is a little slow or something.

I cleaned it when I got home from shooting, but I haven't shot it since.

Again, thank you for your replies.

Thanks for the replies.

I did, in fact, clean it thoroughly when I first got it home from the gun shop. I'm a clean freak with my guns, and I'm no rookie to gun ownership. (My M1 Super 90 functions flawlessly BTW). I then cycled some rounds through it, and this is when the issue first arose. I thought perhaps I was following the bolt home when I manually cycled the rounds. So I would let the bolt close shut after jacking it back in such a fashion so as to closely resemble a real shot. This seemed to help, but I would still notice some rounds getting stuck, and the lifter not picking them up. I thought the best way to find out if it really worked or not would be to take it out and shoot it.

I then installed the full length mag tube made by SOCOMguy and took it out and shot it. I probably should have left it stock before shooting it the first time. Multiple failures. It's almost as if the timing of the lifter is a little slow or something.

I cleaned it when I got home from shooting, but I haven't shot it since.

Again, thank you for your replies.

One poster a while back mentioned he would manually cylce boxes of shells just to work the action and loosen it up but you sound like you might need to return to sender or local gunsmith, probably not a lot wrong with it but Benelli would be second option! just reinstall regular mag back on it and get an ra# but call them and see what they suggest!

Why would Benelli be the second option?

They seem to do pretty good work once you've gone through the CS gambit and gotten an RMA number (though I'm considering re-RMAing mine since I just noticed that the serial number on the new barrel of my m4 has a bit of rust in it -- looks like they did a crappy job on the finish, and when I pay $1300 for a shotgun, I expect it to be damn near perfect out of the box).