Choke patterning fanatics

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

Here is an interesting site to help answer some of the FAQ's in here on patterning loads.These guys have an approach that takes human error out of the equation.Above all else,these guys are cool.Check them out! www.GobblerGuns.com

good info, quake and here is the page everyone should read;

http://www.gobblerguns.com/pageshr/luckweasel.html#picts

the data these guys mention is what every patterning session should include.......i would add temperature and humidity because these effect pattern performance as well. in the past i've used the 10-20-30" circle method but i also use a "grid" and "pie piece" methods and look at my patterns outside the "turkey" head & neck region. My goal is not just how many pellets are placed in these areas but how uniform my pattern is "few holes" in the pattern is what i feel is equally important. The magic "300" pellet reference these guys talk about is why i continue to use lead for turkey loads and not the high density stuff....lead gives you more pellets per ounce than ANY of the "new" stuff on the market and its much cheaper to shoot so you can pattern, pattern and pattern some more!

I wonder what these guys are smoking by charging $150 to pattern a shotgun and provide "data".....this is not rocket science, the data is right under your nose and you can shoot a lot of ammo and buy a couple of choke tubes for that kinda coin! Besides, I don't want somebody else having all the fun and I pay them to do it!

again, thanks for the info quake it is a good site!

here's why the boys at GobblerGuns charge $150 to pattern your gun;

http://www.luckyweasel.com/

a computerized patterning program that counts the pellets for you and gives you data you can't determine for yourself.......like "True Turkey Factor", give me a break!!!!

how will we ever be able to pattern a shotgun without a Lucky Weasel of our own??? ;)

seriously, this system isn't doing anything you can't do yourself....you just need to be able to count pellets!

A lot of this is geared toward those people who wil also pay a "gunsmith" to mount and a scope for them,I imagine. Patterning is my favorite tradition in preperation for Spring.I agree,why pay someone else to have my fun!

Just for kicks,you should check out Nitro shotshell's website at the price they are charging to pattern guns:eek:

Just for kicks,you should check out Nitro shotshell's website at the price they are charging to pattern guns:eek:

It's not for just patterning your gun but a Rhino choke and if they have to make a custom shell for your gun as well plus a 5 box of their shells.

The Rhino/Nitro combo is awesome hands down the best if you are willing to pay the price. Heck their copper shotshells shoot better than most of the big name production shells made that are out on the market today.

i'm familar with Nitro and their work.

It's been a few years, but i purchased the first 10ga turkey choke Rhino ever made for a Browning (i gave RHINO a factory Browning turkey choke to use as a pattern for their first 10ga tube)!!! In fact, they made two chokes for me back then (mid 90's) the second was a waterfowl choke.

Since i was handloading for the "mighty 10" back then i worked up a lot of similar loads as the boys at Nitro but primarily for my Rhino tubed Browning Gold 10ga!!! These loads were not NEW or UNIQUE, most had been around almost as long as the 3-1/2" 10 gauge had been killing game (decades). Nitro took the concept of handloads for increased perfomance "commercial" and have created a good business doing this today.

Ballistic Products, Inc has published tons of data on high performance loads for the average "reloader" since 1974 and they offer the most extensive line of specialty reloading components i have ever found. BPI offers the 12ga 3-1/2" reloader a lot of data/info and specialty components in addition to their wealth of 10ga knowledge. i'd go so far as to say BPI has forgotten more about loading, patterns and components than some in the industry will ever know.

Once you get bitten by the reloading bug there is no cure....i started in 1978 (teenager) reloading trap loads with my buddies in his dad's detached garage/workshop....then i moved into reloading for my .22-250 in the early 80's.....in the early 90's i added a 16 ga loader to feed my upland game fetish.....and added a 10 ga loader when i got serious about turkey & waterfowl hunting. Today, i don't mess around with 12 or 20 ga target loads....factory stuff is cheap enough and better than it used to be. i'm still loading for the "SweetSixteen" and "MightyTen" today and enjoy every minute....especially testing new loads at the pattern board!

I'm always having a blast cooking up 16ga loads,too! In my fantasy world,there would be a Benelli Ultralight or Cordoba 16ga.,as well as factory Hevi-Shot 16ga. loads in every store in America.Can you imagine? There I go day dreaming again...

i don't think i'll see a "new" 16ga autoloader in my lifetime.....unless Remington is still making that 1100 and that gun is so heavy you might as well carry my 10ga! i'll hang on to my "sweetsixteen", old sxs & model 12 and like you dream of an Ultralite or Cordoba 16 bore......"day dreamin" ;)