WTB M4 Plastic Handguards

Duggan

^^

I'm looking to do a project and need an extra set of handguards, because I don't know if it is going to turn out well and I don't want to ruin my only pair.

I know a lot of people have put rails on their m4s, so they likely have a set of plastic handguards lying around that they never plan on using ... so why not sell them to good old Duggan for a few bucks?

Message me with your asking price, name, social security number, blood type, etc.

thank-you.jpg

PS - Handguard donations also accepted :)

If you want new, I can use my Gov. and LEO discount at Brownells to buy a set.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23720&title=FOREARM,%20LEFT

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23721&title=FOREARM,%20RIGHT

They're $30.91 each with the discount. Brownells usually hits you for 10 bucks for shipping. The ebay link would be a better deal.

Meh, I was hoping someone had an extra set for like $30, so that I could keep the money "in the family", as well as get a cheaper price.

I guess I'll look at the ebay deal.

PS - I have the same discount at brownells :) but thank you.

Most definitely on the support hand side, but I doubt I will be able to find a seller for one if I can't even find a seller for a pair ...

ETA - Well I feel stupid. Brownells sells them individually. Know how I know it's 6 AM? :\

Edited by Duggan

Not as bad as I felt when I bought a spare o-ring for the Argo system from Brownells. I figured I was getting raped for 4 or 5 bucks (after the discount even) for a set of o-rings.

When I got the package, it was for one o-ring!

I guess I could buy them for a dime each at the hardware store, but I don't know if they're the same.

Have you sourced a proper spec picatinny rail for your project? I wonder if Kip would be kind enough to make one to the length you need now that his top rails are moving nicely.

What kind of light are you going to mount?

The plastic Benelli uses is very easy to drill through. It doesn't have that fiberglass type strand composite material that is a PITA to work with. Just avoid where the barrel seats against the handguard. There is quite a bit of room in front of the ARGO.

Since the inside is not a flat surface, consider using a rubber or nylon washer to help conform to the inner surface. That way it will conform to the inside curvature slightly to help distribute the pressure exerted by the nuts. It'll help reduce flexing of the handguard also. Since you can't torque it down really good, I'd consider epoxy over the retention nut and washers on the inside to help keep it from getting shaken loose.

Not as bad as I felt when I bought a spare o-ring for the Argo system from Brownells. I figured I was getting raped for 4 or 5 bucks (after the discount even) for a set of o-rings.

I did the same thing. But I swear it wasn't my fault! Their system emptied my cart when I logged in, and I forgot to change the quantity back to "2"! By the time I realized when they arrived, they were out of stock ... but it has now been remedied.

Have you sourced a proper spec picatinny rail for your project? I wonder if Kip would be kind enough to make one to the length you need now that his top rails are moving nicely.

What kind of light are you going to mount?

The plastic Benelli uses is very easy to drill through. It doesn't have that fiberglass type strand composite material that is a PITA to work with. Just avoid where the barrel seats against the handguard. There is quite a bit of room in front of the ARGO.

Since the inside is not a flat surface, consider using a rubber or nylon washer to help conform to the inner surface. That way it will conform to the inside curvature slightly to help distribute the pressure exerted by the nuts. It'll help reduce flexing of the handguard also. Since you can't torque it down really good, I'd consider epoxy over the retention nut and washers on the inside to help keep it from getting shaken loose.

I wouldn't want to bother Kip for something small like this. I'm sure he is busy and I want him working hard on the rail and other goodies.

That said, I plan on using a Falcon Industries rail, as it comes with attachment hardware and that's what Deasmuth used on his with good results ... and I'm modeling my project after his.

Here is a link to his thread ...

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8955&highlight=m4+light

The rail is availble for like $25 from Delton, in both aluminum and polymer ... I'm going with aluminum of course.

http://www.del-ton.com/Falcon_Industries_Rail_p/mt1011.htm

The to be used will almost surely be a Malkoff M60 235 lumen lamp inside a 6P, probably in a LaRue offset mount if I feel like going all out. That is the current light setup on my LMT and I love it, bad ass light setup. The setup in full runs around $200 for everything, but for that price you really have gotten the best of everything ... I could get a scout light or X300 for around that, but I prefer the more spilly beam of the m60 to that of the surefire head (I have an E2DL as my EDC light, same lamp, extremely good light, it's just a bit too spotty for me to pick it out of all my options).

That said, this project is all still in the planning phase, and some things may change. For instance, I don't reallllly need a $90 mount for my light ... but I see no reason to start compromising now, especially when this will likely be a weapon I keep for a very long time.

I will obviously keep my progress posted.

I have that malkoff 240 lumen light as well. I think it is a bit much if you're going to use it in the house. when the light bounces off walls back in your eyes it's damn bright. I might replace the bulb with a 120 lumen one. what do you think?

If you do, I will take that overpowered, useless m60 for the staggeringly high price of $35 shipped :)