Should I buy this PS90?

Steve1968LS2

Steve,

I resisted this comment when I first saw your post, but am going to say it now. Why the heck did you come here to ask about the FN when probably less than 1 in 100 members have even touched one? Of course, as you can read, that hasn't stopped them from rendering their "valued" opinions.

maybe if you took your own advice and went to a PS90 forum, maybe then you could get your ego stroked there!!;) oh, and the gun IS a POS!!:D

Edited by texas skeeter

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, you're missing the point that the 5.7 round wasn't designed to competed with the 5.56, but instead with the 9mm used in other sub-machine guns.

Good luck hunting bear or even dear with a semi-auto MP5.. lol

Does that make the civilian MP5 a POS? hmmmm

Good luck bear hunting with a 5.7. Just because one man went and did something stupid and got lucky doesn't mean everyone can.

The 9mm has been used VERY effectively by the Russians against body armor. In fact, the 127gr +P+ Black Talon was going through some ClassIIa body armor when it came out. This is a regular JHP in 9mm. The Russian (9mm BPB) load is also a +P+ round, but with a different projectile design than the JHP obviously. It also has a lot more momentum than the 5.7 (better on cars).

.22's have been used many times by Eskimo's to kill Polar Bears. Does this mean that the .22 is as good/better than the 5.7? Has a 5.7 been used to kill anything larger than a polar bear? According to your logic, the .22>5.7

Also, I have handled the PS90. They are only a POS when used for something they are bad at. Like a primary defense rifle (what else would you call it with a 16" barrel?). For plinking/vermin they are nice.

NOPE, the H&K USP is a fine weapon!!! the P90 is the POS!!:Dand you're right!!! as to why this question was asked here!! do you go to a chinese food restaurant for mexican food, UM NOPE!! i believe benelli is a shotgun manufacturer, thus we talk about and know about shotguns.:p so of course you'll get a bunch a stupid comments regarding the POS PS90!!

Hmm.. I guess you are right.. it was pointless posting on this board.

Thanks!

no worries mr STEVE!!i love debating anything on this site. it makes me laugh when certain people get sooooooo bothered by a stupid comment i may have made!!:p in the end, its just a stupid little black box we are all typing comments into!!;) we aint curing cancer here. and it has definately been fun debating the PS90 here, even if i dont know SH-T about it!! thanks for the post!!

maybe if you took your own advice and went to a PS90 forum, maybe then you could get your ego stroked there!!;) oh, and the gun IS a POS!!:D

I was here because I own an M4, that's what I was hoping to read about. If I have a question on the PS90 I go to where people know what they're talk about.

Last point:

There is simply no way the FNs are POS. Now you might not like the round, that's fine, but they're very accurate, totally reliable, easy to shoot well and maintain. So if you think the caliber is a POS, well that's open to debate, but not the rifle. Anyone that has shot one knows different.

This isn't the only place where people debate the performance of certain calibers. Do we really think anything new or definitive will be said? The debate on the 9mm replacing the 45 and the 5.56 replacing the 7.62 still rages, yet we know what the DoD opted to do DECADES ago. The 5.7, especially in the PS90, is a great little caliber in some apps. I won't fall into the same boat I accuse others of, but I have to say I haven't read anything positive about the 9mm in a long time. The MP-5 in 9mm is what the Secret Service and the SEALs replaced with the P90. Now you see the longer range engagements in Afghanistan have led to M-14 being reintroduced as well as a number of discussion on the need for rounds hotter than the 5.56. Why is that? Because no round is optimally suited to every circumstance. It's always been an issue of weight, cube, capacity, recoil etc vs. performance.

I have a number of rifles of different calibers. No, I surely wouldn't hunt bear with a PS90 (or an AR15), but if I needed something to defend myself inside a bldg or 50 yards outside, the PS90 is what I would grab. Since I don't have a Rambo fetish and no plans to shoot someone I can avoid conflict with (aversion to jail), I don't need to cap someone at 500 yds with a 5.56 or a 7.62. Maybe you have other aims, but among people that pick weapons for a living a number have selected the PS90 to fill that niche. And yes, over penetration is a real issue for some circumstances.

Of course, let's be honest. 99.9999% of what we buy we buy to have fun with. I spent 26 years in the Marines and I would cap someone if I had too in a heartbeat, but I also understand I have purchased many weapons and lots of ammo because I enjoy shooting sports and would rather not spend hours discussing the merits of what is going to drop a bad guy best in all the hypothetical and caveated scenarios you guys can dream up.

I just hope that anti-gun crowd doesn't get anymore traction on the FiveseveN after its use in the Ft Hood tragedy .

Edited by BigHat

Well Said !!!

I was here because I own an M4, that's what I was hoping to read about. If I have a question on the PS90 I go to where people know what they're talk about.

Last point:

There is simply no way the FNs are POS. Now you might not like the round, that's fine, but they're very accurate, totally reliable, easy to shoot well and maintain. So if you think the caliber is a POS, well that's open to debate, but not the rifle. Anyone that has shot one knows different.

This isn't the only place where people debate the performance of certain calibers. Do we really think anything new or definitive will be said? The debate on the 9mm replacing the 45 and the 5.56 replacing the 7.62 still rages, yet we know what the DoD opted to do. The 5.7, especially in the PS90 is a great little caliber. I won't fall into the same boat I accuse others of, but I have to say I haven't read anything positive about the 9mm in a long time. The MP-5 in 9mm is what the Secret Service and the SEALs replaced with the P90. Now you see the longer range engagements in Afghanistan have led to M-14 being reintroduced as well as a number of discussion on the need for rounds hotter than the 5.56. Why is that? Because no round is optimally suited to every circumstance. It's always been an issue of weight, cube, capacity, recoil etc vs. performance.

I have a number of rifles of different calibers. No, I surely wouldn't hunt bear with a PS90 (or an AR15), but if I needed something to defend myself inside a bldg or 50 yards outside, the PS90 is what I would grab. Since I don't have a Rambo fetish and no plans to shoot someone I can avoid conflict with (aversion to jail), I don't need to cap someone at 500 yds with a 5.56 or a 7.62. Maybe you have other aims, but among people that pick weapons for a living a number have selected the PS90 to fill that niche. And yes, over penetration is a real issue for some circumstances.

Of course, let's be honest. 99.9999% of what we buy we buy to have fun with. I spent 26 years in the Marines and I would cap someone if I had too in a heartbeat, but I also understand I have purchased many weapons and lots of ammo because I enjoy shooting sports and would rather not spend hours discussing the merits of what is going to drop a bad guy best in all the hypothetical and caveated scenarios you guys can dream up.

I just hope that anti-gun crowd doesn't get anymore traction on the FiveseveN after its use in the Ft Hood tragedy .

Last point:

This isn't the only place where people debate the performance of certain calibers. Do we really think anything new or definitive will be said? The debate on the 9mm replacing the 45 and the 5.56 replacing the 7.62 still rages, yet we know what the DoD opted to do. The 5.7, especially in the PS90 is a great little caliber. I won't fall into the same boat I accuse others of, but I have to say I haven't read anything positive about the 9mm in a long time. The MP-5 in 9mm is what the Secret Service and the SEALs replaced with the P90. Now you see the longer range engagements in Afghanistan have led to M-14 being reintroduced as well as a number of discussion on the need for rounds hotter than the 5.56. Why is that? Because no round is optimally suited to every circumstance. It's always been an issue of weight, cube, capacity, recoil etc vs. performance.

well said mr BIG!! and AR15.com will have anything you'll ever want to know about m4's. as to the PS90, i just dont like em, and that DONT mean sh-t!! lots of people have had good luck with them and thats great. but they are ugly!! and ill bet most experts will agree. like i said earlier, you dont go to a steak house and ask for a peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich!!:D thus BENELLI FORUM and PS90 = stupid comments. and i do hope your turkey weekend was a good one!!! TS

well said mr BIG!! and AR15.com will have anything you'll ever want to know about m4's. as to the PS90, i just dont like em, and that DONT mean sh-t!! lots of people have had good luck with them and thats great. but they are ugly!! and ill bet most experts will agree. like i said earlier, you dont go to a steak house and ask for a peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich!!:D thus BENELLI FORUM and PS90 = stupid comments. and i do hope your turkey weekend was a good one!!! TS

Benelli M4...

Happy T-day weekend to you too.

It seems that even the PS90 supporters agree with me. The PS90 is great for what it was designed for: A weapon for non-coms that will quickly put a LOT of lead on-target and go through body-armor.

Since I don't have access to a full-auto PS90, this is about like dumping the engine from an Indy car into an F150. Worthless. Sure it's a great engine in a 1200# car, put it in a truck and try to tow something and the whole plan falls apart.

So yes, in a small, full-auto weapon, the 5.7 is in its element. In anything else, it's just ill conceived. The wound tract it leaves is minimal, and the semi-auto operation removes the rate of fire advantage given by the low recoil.

The PS90 is a well-built weapon, yes, perhapse I mis-spoke when I said it was a POS. I should have said that in the civilian roll without FA, the cartridge it is chambered in performs like a POS compared to other calibers.

As to dogging people on here for talking smack about the PS90, no. That is not because it's a Benelli forum, it's because noone but people who own them think much of them against things other than varmints. This is from the police departments that have had bad OIS's involving them, and people like Dr. Roberts at Stanford who test such things. Don't blame the PS90's failure to impress on the forum. Blame it on what it is: Poor terminal ballistics. The 9mm JHP leaves a much alrger wound tract and does much better against cars, etc. The only place the 5.7 beats it is on body armor unless PBP ammunition is used, and we have 5.56's for that.

I can think of NOTHING the 5.7 does besides give a larger magazine capacity, but if you can't do it with 30 rounds of 5.56, do you think you can with 50 rounds of 5.7? The wound tract from a 5.7 in no way compares to that of a 5.56 T2.

Edited by Unobtanium