Stock black M4 handgaurd?

ROCKETW19

I wont need 922 after my trust is done but I have thought of just getting one.

I'm not saying whether or not you should or should not care about 922r compliance, but ... Why would establishing a trust exempt you from 922r compliance? Not even registration as an NFA weapon will exempt you, so I'm not sure why handing over ownership to a trust would do so. (If anything, wouldn't it make all members of the trust complicit?) Please elaborate on this point, as I am very curious and haven't ever spoken with a trust lawyer.

Edited by LeoAtrox
a

From what everyone tells me after its registered I do not have to follow 922r anymore. there are a few threads here where I read this and my dealer said the same.

could all these people be wrong? maybe but where else can I find anwsers? even before the 14" conversion I still was not 922r I dont think anyone cares about it. Or I just been lucky and not in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

actually I have the regular stock tube going back on so I dont think I need 922r parts regardless?

I've heard it argued both ways. I'd opt for the 922 compliance either way. While 922 is overblown when it comes to a standard weapon, on a Class 3 firearm that is likely to be subject to further scrutiny, I'd take additional precautions. The best way to see how the law actually sees it would be to see how short barreled imported AK's are handled.

Are you planning on running a collapsible stock? If so, that will add an evil feature even though your magazine capacity will not exceed the limit to count as an evil feature.

I rarely see factory handguards come up for sale. They are for sale at Brownells, but they are really expensive compared to the FFT offering.

If I was going this route, I'd consider everything to be an upgrade path and stick with 922 compliance anyway. You'll end up with a better weapon as a result.

1. I'd get carriercomp's short titanium magazine tube. You'll gain some weight savings and a US Part.

2. carriercomp follower for the US Part.

3. carriercomp/Geiselle Hammer for the US Part.

4. FFT stock reproduction handguards for the US Part.

You'd then be free to add a collapsible stock to the package.

A gun trust won't exempt you from anything. The theory is NFA weapons do not have to abide by 922 regulations. I've heard it argued both ways. I'd opt for compliance to protect myself from an overzealous agent. Do it for your dogs sake.

If you have an illegal firearm owned by the trust, you as the executor are still liable for being the possessor.

From what I was told by my attorney, you are not subject to 922 if your weapon is NFA registered. You still have to carry your form 4 with you while transporting the weapon. All the feds want is to know you are a Trustee of the weapon, that you have the tax stamp, you can prove who you are, and that you have your form 4. You have to remember that police are not lawyers or experts in the law. ****, half don't know anything beyond simple traffic law. You may come across one that wants to be an @ss and feels he will be top cop of the day by taking you to jail, but you won't stay very long. Unless you do something stupid like run,fight, spit, or shoot at him. Which case you might end up dead or wish you were. I keep a copy of my Trust, Form 4, valid I'D, tax stamp, my attorneys business card with phone number, and good manners when I take my SBS anywhere. Most of the time they will ask to shoot it if you are at a range. Some may offer to buy, but they always try to low ball you. Has anyone else here had anything different happen to them?

From what I was told by my attorney, you are not subject to 922 if your weapon is NFA registered. You still have to carry your form 4 with you while transporting the weapon. All the feds want is to know you are a Trustee of the weapon, that you have the tax stamp, you can prove who you are, and that you have your form 4. You have to remember that police are not lawyers or experts in the law. ****, half don't know anything beyond simple traffic law. You may come across one that wants to be an @ss and feels he will be top cop of the day by taking you to jail, but you won't stay very long. Unless you do something stupid like run,fight, spit, or shoot at him. Which case you might end up dead or wish you were. I keep a copy of my Trust, Form 4, valid I'D, tax stamp, my attorneys business card with phone number, and good manners when I take my SBS anywhere. Most of the time they will ask to shoot it if you are at a range. Some may offer to buy, but they always try to low ball you. Has anyone else here had anything different happen to them?

same stuff I was told.

the question of the day is your last sentence. "has anyone heard anything different happen"

No I have not read of 1 single person ever getting questioned about 922r with or with out being a legal SBS.

I know for a fact there are alot of M4s running arounf not in 922r complyance shoot we just got the part to finally do it.

But if it is not easy to find a stock handgaurd then Stranger has a good point just think of it as a upgrade (hopefully it is) and 922 at the same time.

True, I would have to agree with Strangers good advice. It never hurts to protect your self just in case. And if they both cost the same then why not. I think you might even save some money and time. The FFT looks just like the original and your one step closer to 992.