The quiet M4

Unobtanium

Finally got it put together.

a>

It's neat dumping a magazine of 5.56 without ear-pro and no discomfort. Supposedly not hearing-safe, but I could rub my fingers together a foot from my right ear and hear them. It made my ears "ring" less than those pull-string fire-crackers you had as a kid when you held them at arm's length.

So, you can fire it without hearing protection? It must be cool =) I can fire my Ruger 10/22 outdoors w/o hearing protection and not feel any discomfort at all... is your M4 really that quiet?

Technically, I should wear earpro, but I fired about 30 rounds without it and was no worse for the wear that I could tell. I could still gently rub my fingers together and hear them a foot from my right (closest the ejection port) ear. To me, as I remember, a .22LR from a Remington 522 BDL (semi-auto) made my ears ring far worse. I fired it once with the switchblock set to "normal" instead of "suppressed", though, and my ear did ring a little from that.

The question is...will half a Twinkie give it indigestion? lol

[video=youtube;UhOb8q9CI-E]

Twinkies can be a problem.

There are more rocks outside than twinkies.

Do you know of a rifle that can function with a rock/pebble jammed in the chamber?

Should I have bought a knife, or compound bow, instead of a Benelli M4, Arsenal AK, and Noveske N4?

Twinkies can be a problem.

There are more rocks outside than twinkies.

Do you know of a rifle that can function with a rock/pebble jammed in the chamber?

Should I have bought a knife, or compound bow, instead of a Benelli M4, Arsenal AK, and Noveske N4?

Twinkies mimic mud.

Have you seen the torture test the Swiss put their (piston operated) Sig 550 through? The ARF/M4 wouldn't pass that series of tests for sure - there is no question about it.

Try some toothpaste in the action and let us know how that works out (no problem for piston operated rifles). lol

Twinkies mimic mud.

Have you seen the torture test the Swiss put their (piston operated) Sig 550 through? The ARF/M4 wouldn't pass that series of tests for sure - there is no question about it.

Try some toothpaste in the action and let us know how that works out (no problem for piston operated rifles). lol

I will refrain from the toothpaste litmus test. I do not think I will ever encounter that.

Every post I have made about the M4 (AR) platform, you have had something snide to say--and that's cool, we all have our preferences. I welcome your criticism of the platform, but I do not think that shoving twinkies in it, or drizzling toothpaste into the action is a realistic criticism. A test can be thought up for every weapon system that will cause a failure.

This mimics mud well enough for me:

I will refrain from the toothpaste litmus test. I do not think I will ever encounter that.

Every post I have made about the M4 (AR) platform, you have had something snide to say--and that's cool, we all have our preferences. I welcome your criticism of the platform, but I do not think that shoving twinkies in it, or drizzling toothpaste into the action is a realistic criticism. A test can be thought up for every weapon system that will cause a failure.

This mimics mud well enough for me:

Snide? I don't think so:

Definition of SNIDE

a : false, counterfeit b : practicing deception : dishonest

: unworthy of esteem : low

: slyly disparaging : insinuating

I've always regarded the AR gas impingement as second to none with respect to accuracy, and a ton of fun to shoot on the range. However anyone who thinks the very tight tolerance AR/M4 system is equivalent to any gas piston operated rifle (as originally designed) such as the FAL, the AK, the Sig 550, the SKS, the Daewoo, the AR-180, etc. is only kidding themselves. And with respect to saving one's bacon in the real world in extremis, reliability ranks 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the list of priorities...IMO.

Snide? I don't think so:

Definition of SNIDE

a : false, counterfeit b : practicing deception : dishonest

: unworthy of esteem : low

: slyly disparaging : insinuating

I've always regarded the AR gas impingement as second to none with respect to accuracy, and a ton of fun to shoot on the range. However anyone who thinks the very tight tolerance AR/M4 system is equivalent to any gas piston operated rifle (as originally designed) such as the FAL, the AK, the Sig 550, the SKS, the Daewoo, the AR-180, etc. is only kidding themselves. And with respect to saving one's bacon in the real world in extremis, reliability ranks 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the list of priorities...IMO.

Taken as a whole, I think the M4 platform is very good, and plenty reliable. If there were a piston system that fit my desires, I would consider it instead. However, I am not a fan of SIG's current quality, and although I have a very nice AK-47, I just can't love it. I'm probably going to sell it in a few months. I am not the fondest of the FS2000 and AUG, either. Replacement parts are a PITA, and they have varying quality, and cannot be purchased in SBR format by a civilian, as I don't think the parent companies will sell.

Some of what you have said is snide, as you slyly disparaged the platform's reliability by posting a humorous video of it choking on a twinkie.

Could you name off the parts lists? Upper & Lower, etc..

Vltor MUR/VIS 9" rail monolithic (bilithic?) upper

Noveske hammer forged chrome-lined 14.5" barrel with pinned 212FH mount and switchblock with mid-length gas system

Noveske Gen II lower

Geissele SSA trigger

LaRue FUG grip

Troy BUIS

Comp M4S in Bobro mount

Surefire M300A light in LaRue mount w/F04 diffuser

VTAC sling

Magpul MOE grip

Lancer 20 round AWM magazine

LMT SOPMOD stock

Magpul ladder rail covers, black

Surefire FA556-212 Suppressor

I have its identical clone, but with a 12.5" barrel on order, currently. It's SBR time :)

Edited by Unobtanium

Looks good

I don't get on the site much anymore.. been a long time but i had some time to check in and see what was going on in the web world here. Glad to see some nice rigs from peoples collections.

What cal is your rig?

Here's a couple of my quiet rigs I have pics of on this machine.

Rem. 700SPS Tac. AAC-SD mounted with some business (.308)

20gfhph.jpg

Sav. 11/111 FCNS (cut/threaded when .223 - now re-chambered/barreled .300AAC Blackout)

oses1g.jpg

Apparently the forum admin cut the # of pics/images you can post in a reply for some dumb reason so.. cont'd from above:

A few of the CMMG ARs I have w/o sups mounted (9mm top/.223 btm)

3088hdu.jpg

If that rig you've got is .223 and compatible get the CMMG .22 conversion kit for it if you want REAL quiet w/cheaper plinking, paper punching... etc.,..

1jmebl.jpg

I'll have to take some new pics and load them up on the machine here of the other full dressed ARs I've got. Fun stuff, and good luck with the rig, Unobtanium.

Looks good

I don't get on the site much anymore.. been a long time but i had some time to check in and see what was going on in the web world here. Glad to see some nice rigs from peoples collections.

What cal is your rig?

Here's a couple of my quiet rigs I have pics of on this machine.

Rem. 700SPS Tac. AAC-SD mounted with some business (.308)

20gfhph.jpg

Sav. 11/111 FCNS (cut/threaded when .223 - now re-chambered/barreled .300AAC Blackout)

oses1g.jpg

I considered the 300 AAC, but decided against it due to ammunition availability/cost compared to 5.56. It's a very neat round, though, and I'm a barrel/suppressor away from it.

I am worried about filling the suppressor with carbon/lead/junk shooting .22LR through it, so it's going to stay a dedicated 5.56 can for me.

I considered the 300 AAC, but decided against it due to ammunition availability/cost compared to 5.56. It's a very neat round, though, and I'm a barrel/suppressor away from it.

I am worried about filling the suppressor with carbon/lead/junk shooting .22LR through it, so it's going to stay a dedicated 5.56 can for me.

Not much different (really) from shooting .223 loads. Obviously want to stay away from the crap loads w/conv. kit as with anything else (I'm guilty of shooting high volume garbage rnds occasionally w/o issues) but remember it takes a good amount of rounds to 'foul it up' nicely at first to get the tone/resonance down.. that said, you're able to clean them (sups/cans etc.,.) effectively when it starts to get loaded up. I can and do appreciate wanting to keep it 'dedicated' just keep in mind you bought it to enjoy and you'll eventually be cleaning it anyway so just keep it in mind down the road.

How many rounds have you knocked through the gun or is she still a virgin? Hows the accuracy?

As far as i know you cannot clean these suppressors.

The rifle has only 4-500 down range, sadly I do not have access to a longer range, and I work weekends, so no real accuracy tests yet. I'm hoping to move and buy property next year, though, and permanently remedy the problem.

I am also thinking about buying a suppressor that cab be taken apart and cleaned and buying a .22 for that Hollywood quiet.

As a result of your post I am seriously considering purchase of a suppressor from SureFire. Over the past few months I've turned up lots of hype from various manufacturers and, seems to me, no standardized objective method used to evaluate these cans. My $0.02, since SureFire is a brand name, it would be safer to purchase their suppressor over the competition.

Anyway, I called SureFire CS to discuss and was impressed with the fact they have military contracts. They advise the best way to clean their suppressors is by ultrasonic process, using plain water.

They will also advise against rimfire ammunition in a sealed rifle can unless you want to be throwing away a $1200 piece of equipment very soon.

Mot manufacturers post sound attenuation data, or it can be found.

Only Surefire guarantees less than 1 MOA POI shift on a correctly threaded barrel.

Currently, Surefire has the best mounting system in the industry, in my opinion.

Edited by Unobtanium