SBE I Ammo?

deckedouthemi

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Last year I purchased a very well kept Super Black Eagle I. Along with the gun came with about a dozen boxes of shells. Last year i only had a chance to get it close to on at 50 yards. This year I tried backing to 100 yards and it was all over the place. The shells I have are 2 3/4 Winchester supreme elites. My scope is a Nikon Slughunter 200. I want to know is the most accurate sabbot round for my gun at about 150-200 yards with this firearm. In western NY rifles are not legal to hunt with, so I have to make the best of it with a slug gun.

Sabot rounds are non-starter in smoothbore shotguns. Pi**-poor accuracy. I tried a couple of 100 yard shots way back in the day and they would hit the ground anywhere between 50 and 75 yards, and at various spots within a 30 degree arc in front of me. I think you're trying to squeeze too much out of the gun for 150-200 yard accuracy with ANY slug shot out of a smoothbore. Rifled barrel, maybe? I have no experience there so I'm of no use. I've used Brenneke slugs to good effect with my smoothbore M1's but I'd never try a hunting shot (if I hunted furry game) on anything past 75 - 80 yards.

Very important to use the slower slugs (around 1500 fps). With the twist rate in the Benelli RS barrel the high velocity slugs will not hold accuracy. Besides, faster will not give you a harder hitting or better accuracy anyhow. The sky is the limit on which one you may find best for your gun, setup and ability to shoot. I personally use the Remington Premier Copper Solid 1oz 1450fps and can keep them touching at 120 yards with ease.

Up to 200 yards is up to the ability of the shooter, his condition and the guns condition. Mine will do 200 yards with the Rem slugs. Made a 275 yard shot on a 170 pound doe one time but my shooting position was perfect (and it was the last day of the season). 95% of my shots are within 60 yards just because I like to be closer.

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Hey Gunny, I too used the same slug for many years. I just recently found out that my SBE II has a barrel twist rate of 1:28

which is considered "fast". I switched over to the Remington Accu-tip (1850 fps) only to have better groups. Only I'm sighting in @ 75 yds.