Question re sling-swivel stud for Benelli Sport II - can I screw this into the butt?

Chucke

I want to put a sling on a Sport II. I found an after-market magazine end-cap that has a swivel and a screw-in swivel that goes in the butt-end. This is a wood stock Sport II and it looks like the stud-swivel is about 3/8 inch long. If I screw this into the stock about 2 or 3 inches up from the butt is that going to hit anything that might be hidden inside the butt? I think some of the composite stocks have some kind of recoil dampening stuff inside the stock but I havn't found anything about the wood stock having anything like that hidden inside.

Does anyone know if I can screw this stud into the wood butt without hitting anything?

The only thing that would be there would be the recoil spring tube. Take the recoil pad off and you'll have an idea of how much material you'll have to work with before running something into the tube. There should be plenty of room for installation of the stud.

You will be fine at that location. Do pull the pad as suggested above, just to be sure.

Also, ensure you predrill the stock before installing the sling stud. I usually also coat the threads with a few drops of boiled linseed oil. Helps the threads cut easier and seals the wood from moisture.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did think i was going to pre-drill a hole just slightly smaller than the screw but big enough so it's not so tight it splits the wood (OMG that would suck). I was planning to put some epoxy in the hole to lube the threads and also seal the wood once it dries. Let me know if anyone thinks that is a big mistake.