Benelli m4 firing issue

Hasuchobe

1 hour ago, Hasuchobe said:

I think your comment about the handguard might be the root of the problem. It's a fab defense bm4 and it was so damn hard to put this handguard on, I had to basically squeeze the two halves together and throw in the screws as fast as I could for the two halves to come together. The barrel may not have been as flush as it should be. Comments online for this handguard are less than stellar.. but I got it for free hehe

When you were shooting and the first round fired. What happened when you went to pull the trigger the second time? Did you hear the hammer drop? Or did the trigger do nothing, ie: the hammer was up against the bolt carrier already.

This will determine where the issue lies.

3 hours ago, truckcop said:

Sorry, SD, but you've either mis-spoken here or there's something I'm not understanding in your response.   The first part of your that sentence, and  I agree, in a "click" situation you hear the hammer fall because it has been reset.  But then you immediately contradict that by saying the hammer is already lowered against the back of the bolt.  If the hammer is already lowered against the back of the bolt, as in the case of the mechanism not resetting, you would get a mushy trigger and hear no click.   

Sorry, when I type on my phone it likes to auto correct things on this site in weird ways. Then it wouldn't let me edit the post.

Right, we're trying to determine what the OP is experiencing. If the hammer is forward or decocked, the trigger will press with no reaction. No click from the hammer falling and striking the firing pin. If the hammer is forward or decocked, without him pressing the trigger, we're looking at a fire control issue where the hammer hook is slipping past the disconnector/trigger seers and riding the bolt carrier home as the action cycles. Leaving a live round in the chamber with the hammer forward or decocked. I'd pull the trigger pack out and test the hammer's function to see if I could recreate the issue. While you're at it, test the safety's function. I'd make sure no ammunition was present, and I'd rack the bolt carrier and see if the hammer falls/decocks itself. If you have 12 gauge dummy rounds, you can use them.

If he is having a Benelli Click issue, my first place to try correcting it would be to make sure the handguards are not preventing the barrel from seating fully. In this situation, the hammer would drop when the trigger is pulled, but due to being out of battery and the bolt not fully rotating, the firing pin will not make full contact with the primer when the hammer falls. Light primer strikes may or may not be seen on the primers depending how out of battery the barrel is. I find this to be less likely than the fire control issue since he stated it fired the first chambered round just fine. It's possible, but less likely. Inspection of the seat ring around the base of the barrel that seats against the receiver would be a good starting point.

It sounds like the gun has been messed with by the original owner. There is another possibility that the original owner put lightened hammer/trigger spring which can be causing this kind of malfunction. I experienced these kind of issues when I tried the TTI lightened springs and promptly removed them.

Posting from the range. Turns out it was the handguard causing the issues. Cycles and shoots no problem. I also emailed benelli before I went and they offered to look at the weapon which was nice. Fortunately I tested it first. Kudos to strangerdanger and everyone else for the help.

Edited by Hasuchobe