Benelli m4 Cold Testing...and lessons learned

Unobtanium

What I've done is switch to Black Rifle Balm (of which there is no more being made.), and I very very lightly lubricate the FCG. I believe the light strikes were due to fouled, gelled lube around the cap that interfaces with the hammer. I have tested clean FCD SGSO and it did not harden in sub zero temps. Introduce a few hundred rounds of fouling though...

Also consider polymer flexibility of shotgun wads, and how this may affect payload delivery. 

One thing nice to see, is that the pressure curve of this ammunition seems unaffected by temperature to the point that actual cycling is completely unaffected.

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Unobtanium said:

I would recommend Black Rifle Field Balm if you want a thinner product, instead. When you mix ad packs, it's not always best. Sometimes performance can actually degrade.

BR Field Balm is great stuff, to bad they can no longer make it. I did however pick up a few bottles of it when they notified me of its imminent demise so I should be set. Anyone who wants some should get it now before it's all gone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

I would recommend Black Rifle Field Balm if you want a thinner product, instead. When you mix ad packs, it's not always best. Sometimes performance can actually degrade.

how can performance degrade? any evidence or examples for that? 

48 minutes ago, brightt said:

how can performance degrade? any evidence or examples for that? 

That's a whole literal degree. Here is the simple version:
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/235/mixing-lubricating-oils

https://www.bellperformance.com/bell-performs-blog/grease-compatibility-something-to-pay-attention-to

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/911/lubricant-incompatibility

Here is an even simpler version:

Lube A is formulated with "X %" of this and that in it. Lube B is formulated with "X %" of this and that in it. They are formulated with balanced amounts of additives to provide certain anti-wear characteristics as well as chemical buffering, etc. When you mix them, you can unbalance both of them and the mixture is not the greater of the two parts, but rather the lesser, or worse.

Even simpler:

You do not take the cam out of a SBC 350 Chevy and dump it into a 305 Chevy because the 305 revs higher but the 350 has more torque and you want the best of both of 'em! It do not work this way.

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 2

+1 for Black Rifle Balm(Cherry Balmz)..awesome stay-put-light-grease for all my firearms since it became available. I stocked up when announced it was no longer going to me made. According to the owner, the primary base/source of the Black Rifle Balm is no longer available/refusing to be supplied.

Forward Controls has their own product called Snake Oil..it’s a combination made with Black Rifle Balm..same type of stay-put-light-grease & works great.

Two other great products: Polydyn 2A..and Extant Labs Alpha Sauce..both are “oils” that provide excellent lubricity & stay pretty well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BamBam said:

+1 for Black Rifle Balm(Cherry Balmz)..awesome stay-put-light-grease for all my firearms since it became available. I stocked up when announced it was no longer going to me made. According to the owner, the primary base/source of the Black Rifle Balm is no longer available/refusing to be supplied.

Forward Controls has their own product called Snake Oil..it’s a combination made with Black Rifle Balm..same type of stay-put-light-grease & works great.

Two other great products: Polydyn 2A..and Extant Labs Alpha Sauce..both are “oils” that provide excellent lubricity & stay pretty well.

FCD SGSO does not have the same friction modifiers BRB does. It has other good attributes, but it is not the equal of BRB in THAT regard.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, BamBam said:

This gun has great power. I like it!