Benelli M4 C-Stock cant

KiloEcho6

My form 4 cleared and I picked up my Benelli M4 SBS three days ago. Finish is dark black (not blue) and my barrel is flush cut. Aesthetically it is all I hoped for. But I noticed that my C stock cants to the right. My deal advised that this is normal to accommodate right handed shooters. It feels fine.

Is this normal amongst other C-stock’rz? 

Yes, this is crooked. No, this is not normal or correct. No, I doubt it affects the use of the weapon functionally. Yes, I am sad to see this. I would advise that you send it to Stranger Danger and let him handle it, potentially using one of RX Arms recoil tubes, if indeed it bothers you enough to deal with it.

• Upvote 1

FML. I was worried reading all the QC issues, post purchase February 2022. Not the Benelli company I’m used to. States they’ve a 10-year warranty. Any reason not to make the company honor their mistake?

I’ve got to fit the limb saver pad n sight it in this weekend and check for function. Won’t be able to send it off to anyone until after September 12. I need it for Firearms Instructor Recertification. 

Appreciate the feedback greatly though. Even though it confirmed my gut feelings on the matter. $2500 after tax stamp and trust, just to need warranty work out the gate. Already felt like an idiot buying my dream shotgun. This seals it. Should’ve kept my M1’s….

4 minutes ago, KiloEcho6 said:

FML. I was worried reading all the QC issues, post purchase February 2022. Not the Benelli company I’m used to. States they’ve a 10-year warranty. Any reason not to make the company honor their mistake?

I’ve got to fit the limb saver pad n sight it in this weekend and check for function. Won’t be able to send it off to anyone until after September 12. I need it for Firearms Instructor Recertification. 

Appreciate the feedback greatly though. Even though it confirmed my gut feelings on the matter. $2500 after tax stamp and trust, just to need warranty work out the gate. Already felt like an idiot buying my dream shotgun. This seals it. Should’ve kept my M1’s….

Well, if SD will undertake the project, I trust him more than Benelli. To whit, he isn't the one who built your shotgun wrong already...

SD has the tools, facility, knowledge, experience, and passion to do this correctly. 

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, KiloEcho6 said:

this honestly is not that hard to fix with the right tools.  You just need to heat up the receiver, break the red locktight, and re-do it straight.  Takes less than an hour..  you just need to work up the mental balls to tackle it.

@StrangerDanger can assist you if you do not want to undertake it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RxArms said:

this honestly is not that hard to fix with the right tools.  You just need to heat up the receiver, break the red locktight, and re-do it straight.  Takes less than an hour..  you just need to work up the mental balls to tackle it.

@StrangerDanger can assist you if you do not want to undertake it.

Well I am an armorer on a few firearms platforms. I’ve also performed various gunsmithing tasks on a variety of other platforms absent of “certification”. Tackling it myself, even though warrantied, was at the forefront from the beginning, just to eliminate shipping hassles n possibly of a lost package. 

Appreciate the information and encouragement! 

@RxArms

Did some research. It appears that there is a nut at the end of the recoil tube that interfaces with the receiver, similar to a castle nut on an AR. Any reason that I can’t simply loosen this after heating, give it an 1/8 of a turn and lock it back down? Or is this going to cause tube protrusion? 

shot 75 rounds of light trap loads today and about 20 rounds 00, few slug for sight in. Ran like a champ. No worries on function. Especially if it cycles light loads. 

Once you break down the thread locker, you will want to remove the whole tube, clean it off, and redo it with red thread locker.  Before you remove it, take a picture inside your reciever of how deep into the reciever the tube goes (how many reciever threads are exposed) this will help you re install it quicker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a 11715 and have the same exact issue.  What are the odds they'd be cranking these canted stocks out in significant numbers?  Really not happy with this after dropping $2400.  I'd rather not deal with it personally so what is the typical turnaround time if sent back to Benelli?  I see someone on these forums can fix it as well but wonder what the cost would be to have him correct it...

20220907_211212.jpg

Edited by BenelliBoy82

Thanks for the recommendations.

Transferring a NFA item can be complicated. When asking the ATF, they recommend getting permission from the ATF for each leg of the transfer which takes a while. However, their wording is vague and it seems to just be a recommendation rather than a mandate.

Your extension is definitely off. It wasn't intentionally set that way. Whoever did the installation permitted the extension to slip while torquing the jam nut and didn't notice or care to check their work. You'd think they'd have a jig set up to do this kind of work?

I'd recommend tackling the job yourself if you're willing. If you need help guiding your way thru it, I'd be glad to give you my number for text or calls.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:43 AM, BenelliBoy82 said:

I just picked up a 11715 and have the same exact issue. What are the odds they'd be cranking these canted stocks out in significant numbers? Really not happy with this after dropping $2400. I'd rather not deal with it personally so what is the typical turnaround time if sent back to Benelli?

Yeah, manufacturing standards are just not what they used to be. It sucks, but that is the state of our lovely modern world these days. When I sent my barrel back to Benelli two weeks ago after the Magazine Cap retaining pin and spring fell out of it, I was told the turnaround time was three weeks, but who knows what that really means. The good news is that I was sent a prepaid UPS label to cover the shipping and insurance costs. I hope that helps your decision.