Mixing Ammunition for M4 LE

gocards

I have an M4 LE (11732) for home defense.  Wondering how well I can mix rounds for this shotgun.  I have not fired mine yet (just received/assembled).  Thinking of a non-lethal first round to hopefully deter/immobilize/give an intruder something to think about, followed if needed by something such as a Federal personal defense shotshell with FliteControl (9 pellet) or perhaps G2 RIP, followed if needed by something such as as slug.

Appreciate folks' thoughts.  Coming from the M16/M4 world.  This is my first shotgun, purchased because I think it is a better choice for home defense than use of other options inside the home.  Overpenetration is a concern for initial 2 rounds.  Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Edited by gocards

Non lethal won’t cycle you’ll have todo it yourself if you use it.  

I highly suggest no warning shots or second chances. No racking to scare people since someone who may know what they are doing now knows your location.  Assume the worst scenario else you’re not actually prepared for anything.  If you put a shotgun in their face and they don’t have the second thoughts your hoping the non lethal would be a waste of time.

slugs will likely shoot your neighbors.  A heavy birdshot or some buckshot is the best option in my opinion.  Most or all places it’s illegal to shoot people running away who aren’t a threat.  You’re looking at close range encounter.  

others likely have input on flight control, I haven’t shot it but I have heard mixed reviews due to choke if I remember correctly.

• Upvote 2

M4 is also my first shotgun. While I have no plans on using it for home defense, I am signed up for a 3 day shotgun class to learn more about this family of firearms.

As Ben elLes mentioned, no warning shot nonsense, etc... Private citizens are not LE. Personally, I think a carbine/SBR (esp suppressed) or a handgun are a better home defense than shotgun.

1 hour ago, gocards said:

I have an M4 LE (11732) for home defense.  Wondering how well I can mix rounds for this shotgun.  I have not fired mine yet (just received/assembled).  Thinking of a non-lethal first round to hopefully deter/immobilize/give an intruder something to think about, followed if needed by something such as a Federal personal defense shotshell with FliteControl (9 pellet) or perhaps G2 RIP, followed if needed by something such as as slug.

Appreciate folks' thoughts.  Coming from the M16/M4 world.  This is my first shotgun, purchased because I think it is a better choice for home defense than use of other options inside the home.  Overpenetration is a concern for initial 2 rounds.  Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Never point a gun at someone that you aren’t ready to kill.  No non lethal rounds, if they pose a threat to your life you should be prepared to put them down for good.

in Canada, if someone used a non lethal round on an intruder the judge would ask them, “why did you point your gun at someone, and fire a shot at them, if they weren’t enough of a threat to your life?”   This is our law system up here, it is very against the law to point a gun at someone up here even for an intruder, they absolutely need to lose a threat to your life.

in summary, if you are willing to point a gun at someone, you should be prepared to take their life.

Edited by RxArms
  • Upvote 2

Less-lethal ammo should only be used for professional use, as in law enforcement, where there's still a weapon with real bullets trained on the aggressor. Having it as a home/self defense load is just an all around bad choice. 

Pattern different loads of buckshot, see what works best for your individual shotgun and needs, and keep it loaded with that.

I volunteered once to be shot with a less-lethal slug in the upper thigh. It hurts like hell, but mostly it enraged me to the point of going after the instructor, intent on removing his testicles with my hands. I was able to catch up to him and grab the collar of his shirt before he jumped over a table. Now if you add in the fact that you might be dealing with someone on drugs with even less pain reception, and will actually kill you, you're gonna be in a bad spot. Especially if that adrenaline kicks in and you're standing there pulling the trigger wondering why the gun isn't firing.

A partner of mine took rubber buckshot to the gut and had basically the same reaction.

So, to recap: rubber bullets in the force continuum for professional use = good. Rubber bullets for self defense =bad.

Stop trying to make things more complicated than they need to be. 

Edited by ArthurMorgan

I greatly appreciate folks' replies and am rethinking strategy.  Chose the shotgun over other weapons due to concerns about being able to hit accurately in the middle of the night, when not fully awake, and with hands that sometimes are asleep/tingly.  Aging sucks.  Now thinking about birdshot or huckshot, given that issue.

No worries about hitting neighbors out here.  🙂

Taking a course such as alphat mentioned sounds like more than a good idea...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, alphat said:

Look for Clint Smith's shotgun videos on youtube. He covers a lot of good things. One of the videos has a visual representation of a shotgun pattern at different distances. You still HAVE to aim with a shotgun!

20 hours ago, alphat said:

Look for Clint Smith's shotgun videos on youtube. He covers a lot of good things. One of the videos has a visual representation of a shotgun pattern at different distances. You still HAVE to aim with a shotgun!

Fantastic!  Thank you!