Benelli collapsible stock for M4.

jmk

I purchased a collapsible stock wanting to replace my one piece pistol grip stock.  My shotgun already had the recoil tube with notches in it.  I was surprised  by this but was glad.  I began by watching videos on the removal and replacement of the collapsible stock.  One video that I have watched SAYS the long flat on the tube should be on top when you tighten the lock nut.  Another SHOWS the three larger grooves on the top of the tube before tightening the lock nut.  Mine was oriented with the larger grooves on the side.  I thought this would not be correct and my stock might be rotated off to the side.  I think that Benelli just tightened it up the correct depth inside the receiver and Loctited it into place, slapped on a one piece pistol grip stock and sold it as a civilian model.  I removed the tube and began attempting to orient the butt stock on the tube.  Damned if it doesn't have four notches on one side and three on the other with two small grooves in the middle and with two flat sides of different lengths.  I attempted to place the stock on the tube.  Man that button is too hard to push.  I looked up inside the tube of the stock and the round piece that slides when you push the button appears to be at a slight angle but it moves on and off of the tube grooves OK.  It appears from the videos that I have watched that the stock needs to be rotated clockwise a few degrees to get it to adjust and lock into place and also to remove it.  Well, I have tried starting the stock on that tube every way possible and it stops at different places and has to be rotated clockwise or counterclockwise to get it to move.  I frequently end up not being able to remove it to start over.  I have figured out that when the top of the stock lines up with the long flat side of the tube it will come off of the tube.  After that I am lost.  Sometimes I can't get it to rotate but it will slide hard and partially lock onto one of the grooves. Sometimes when I think I have it in a groove the stock slides back and forth about a half inch.  Unsure why all the extra grooves in it and flat sides etc.  I don't want to install the tube with the Locktite and lock nut until I know how it should be oriented. In the videos I have watched, they used the stock to do the last small amount of rotation of the tube before tightening everything down. But, you have to have the stock locked into one of the grooves correctly.  I am not sure.  Can anyone help me out?  I sure hope that those grooves were supposed to be off to one side and I removed that recoil tube for nothing!

I’ll see if I can help you out with this. You can PM me and I’ll give you my cell number to text/call if you like. 

Let’s focus first on why you can’t press the unlock button. This sounds like it may have a lock screw installed beneath the polymer cheek riser. This is common for M1014’s sold in California. Perhaps you got someone’s take off. 

Sometimes you can see the head of the screw from under the comb. You’ll need to remove the comb via the three Allen heads on top of the comb to access the area. They then drill and tap a hole into the stock that prevents the button from being pressed.  

Once this is sorted out and the stock is functioning, we can then offer the stock up to your receiver extension and you’ll see the orientation necessary to lock the extension into. You’ll find one groove is the install groove. The other three are the three lock positions. 

Read thru my disassembly/reassembly guide for installing the receiver extension. It has a lot of tips and best practices to get the stock orientated correctly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

While we're on the subject of the recoil tube, I have a question. My Robar NP3 plated M4 came with the fixed PG stock as it was purchased in California (2014).

It also came with a 3- position tube which obviously was removed and re-installed by Robar because it was plated along with the rest of the gun.

Not being familiar with the collapsable stock and it's internal locking system because Iv'e never seen one but in pictures, I assume that the actual locking cuts in the tube are the three roughly 3/8" long identical OVAL shaped cuts. Is this correct? What are the other 4 cuts located exactly at the 9 o'clock position in the tube for? Do they also aid in locking the stock?

And, lastly, if these three identical oval cuts ARE as I suspect, the stock position locking cuts, what position should those oval cuts be in relation to the receiver for the collapsable stock comb to be at the 12 o'clock position?

I'm just wondering if I get a collapsable stock, will I be looking at having to adjust the tube.

Thanks-

Edited by Evolution

2 hours ago, Evolution said:

While we're on the subject of the recoil tube, I have a question. My Robar NP3 plated M4 came with the fixed PG stock as it was purchased in California (2014).

It also came with a 3- position tube which obviously was removed and re-installed by Robar because it was plated along with the rest of the gun.

Not being familiar with the collapsable stock and it's internal locking system because Iv'e never seen one but in pictures, I assume that the actual locking cuts in the tube are the three roughly 3/8" long identical OVAL shaped cuts. Is this correct? What are the other 4 cuts located exactly at the 9 o'clock position in the tube for? Do they also aid in locking the stock?

And, lastly, if these three identical oval cuts ARE as I suspect, the stock position locking cuts, what position should those oval cuts be in relation to the receiver for the collapsable stock comb to be at the 12 o'clock position?

I'm just wondering if I get a collapsable stock, will I be looking at having to adjust the tube.

Thanks-

Your tube will function good as long as it was reinstalled with correct orientation.  Worst case is they never orientated it right (due to no collapsible stock to confirm it). A pic would help

the oval grooves near the top (slightly right of center) of the tube engages the spring loaded pin to adjust the positioning.  The groove on the side (left side if looking down the gun from the rear) engages a fixed pin that absorbs the recoil.  The notch between the 2 flats is the notch that absorbs the recoil.  The more oval notch engages the spring loaded pin that is strictly For positioning the tube.

the oval notches should not be at 12 o’clock, more like 1 oclockish.

Edited by RxArms

44 minutes ago, RxArms said:

Your tube will function good as long as it was reinstalled with correct orientation.  Worst case is they never orientated it right (due to no collapsible stock to confirm it). A pic would help

the groove near the top (slightly right of center) of the tube engages the spring loaded pin to adjust the positioning.  The groove on the side (left side if looking down the gun from the rear) engages a fixed pin that absorbs the recoil.  The notch between the 2 flats is the notch that absorbs the recoil.  The more oval notch engages the spring loaded pin that is strictly For positioning the tube.

the oval notches should not be at 12 o’clock, more like 1 oclockish.

Thank you very much. I understand how it works now. That is exactly the orientation of the oval notches looking down the tube to the rear of the receiver. Just a hair past 12 o'clock. I think those people at Robar knew what they were doing and oriented the tube in the correct position for a collapsable stock, probably because they knew it was a tube for a collapsable stock and it came from the factory oriented that way.

Perhaps they even used a collapsable stock or some kind of template to make sure they put the tube on with the correct orientation.😊

Edited by Evolution