Detachable Shell Holder (Mark Precision Design)

Ihrinwe

Need some up to date insight on how people feel about detachable shell holders. Personally I am not a fan of velcro so been looking at the march precision design top rail & detachable holders. Would love to be able to quick change shells or alleviate some weight without having to change rails.

I know this design used to be sidearm, Asgard, etc and have read many a pages and post on the forums about the product. Considering buying some but seems like there aren't many updated pictures/post. Parts are pricey and no return policy so trying to gather some fresh thoughts. Is it worth it?

https://markprecisiondesign.com/product/standard-length-receiver-rail/

https://markprecisiondesign.com/product/quick-detachable-shell-holder-6-round/

I have seen those, they look pretty nice but, man, they are expensive and empty they don't lay flat. The hook & loop aren't great as they do wear out but at $14 a shot I just toss them when they do. For $100 you have quite a few h&l's that can be fit in mag pouchs. The rail alone with these is over $100 and you still need the shell holders. Just my $.02.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ihrinwe said:

Appreciate the feedback. Something about the Aridus seems too bulky to me idk why. I also don’t like it’s a taped on system and not fully secured. 

The tape they give you with it.There’s no way you pull it off other then heating it ..I’ve had old sidearmor carriers .They suck to detach and put back on.That’s why not many people run them.I’d run a velco setup before them 

Edited by rubicon20032003
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 7:20 PM, Ihrinwe said:

Appreciate the feedback. Something about the Aridus seems too bulky to me idk why. I also don’t like it’s a taped on system and not fully secured. 

I have the Aridus on my M4 and it is freakin awesome. I would recommend it over the Esstac and this Mark precision one any day of the week.

• Upvote 2

This looks very similar to SideArmor carriers. They were extremely heavy and covered in sharp edges. Why they didn’t round over all the hard edges, I’ll never know. You’re adding a lot of weight and thickness to the receiver. Carrying the extra weight isn’t a big deal, the issue is how much you’re slowing the shotgun down as you add extra weight. It’s easy to swing past a target due to the extra mass. Shotguns should be super easy to point and swing from target to target. 

While it is nice having rounds with the shotgun, you’re better served having the shells on your body and not hung on the shotgun. An arrangement of speed feed pouches on a belt load the shotgun significantly faster than cherry picking rounds one at a time from a side saddle of some sort. Amateurs can easily grab two shells at a time and feed them in. Pro users and fit 3 and 4 at a time depending on hand size. 

Most want something available for the bump in the night situation where you don’t have time to suit up like the Commando meme. Where you’re lucky to have shoes and pants let alone belt pouches. For this, I sling a bandolier around the shotgun wherever it’s staged. One bandolier can hold like 55 rounds maxed out and is easy to sling over your shoulder before you engage the skinwalker.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

This looks very similar to SideArmor carriers. They were extremely heavy and covered in sharp edges. Why they didn’t round over all the hard edges, I’ll never know. You’re adding a lot of weight and thickness to the receiver. Carrying the extra weight isn’t a big deal, the issue is how much you’re slowing the shotgun down as you add extra weight. It’s easy to swing past a target due to the extra mass. Shotguns should be super easy to point and swing from target to target. 

While it is nice having rounds with the shotgun, you’re better served having the shells on your body and not hung on the shotgun. An arrangement of speed feed pouches on a belt load the shotgun significantly faster than cherry picking rounds one at a time from a side saddle of some sort. Amateurs can easily grab two shells at a time and feed them in. Pro users and fit 3 and 4 at a time depending on hand size. 

Most want something available for the bump in the night situation where you don’t have time to suit up like the Commando meme. Where you’re lucky to have shoes and pants let alone belt pouches. For this, I sling a bandolier around the shotgun wherever it’s staged. One bandolier can hold like 55 rounds maxed out and is easy to sling over your shoulder before you engage the skinwalker.

Same as sidearmor, they sold the design to this company or something along those lines.