SBE II cycling issues

BRPIN

Gun is 15 years old and I replaced every spring about 5 years ago.  Last year I switched to Boss ammo.  Not sure if there is a correlation or not.  Last year I would shoot and it would eject the spent hull and  the second round would feed out of the magazine tube and the bolt would close but the second round would stove pipe.  The bolt would close and the second shell would be perpendicular to the barrel.  I took the gun apart and cleaned everything with scrubber and compressed air.  The first few rounds the gun cycled flawlessly.  Then the problem reoccurred. This time the spent bull did not clear and the second round layed on the carrier as the bolt tried to close on the partially ejected spent hull.  Today I shot, the spent bull ejected, the second round came out of the magazine tube and then also ejected and the 3rd round released from the magazine also.  I cleared the malfunction and attempted to shoot again and the spent hull and the second unfired round both ejected.  I am at a loss.  I have inspected everything and don’t see any excessive wear on any of the parts. 

Anyone have any ideas what it going on?  
Thanks!

Edited by BRPIN

Are you shooting BB's?  Did you replace the extractor?

What recoil spring diud you use to replace the OEM.

Shouldering the gun?

Did you add weight to the gun?

Did you ad a aftermarket recoil pad?

Please PM me if you wish.  I have worked on more than 1400 Benelli's, every one was 100 reliable.

Remarkable,  thanks for responding.

All springs were OEM and gun functioned fine.

Current loads are 3/5 shot.

The extractor has never been replaced.  

Recoil pad is 15 years old and is a shorter OEM to reduce LOP.

I’ll order an extractor and new carrier latch if I can find them.  Thanks!

Please reach out, if you may need assistance installing the Extractor or the Carrier Latch.

The Extractor Part Number is 60177

The Carrier latch is out of stock, your existing carrier latch could be "Adjusted" meaning bent/reshaped to OEM standard if there is not excessive wear to the middle of the latch where every shells rides accross, when loading.

• Upvote 1

Who did you get the "OEM" recoil spring from?

I have had best performance in these series SBE's recoil spring from Midwest Gun Works.  There were fitting issues with these about a year ago, they would not slide over the recoil spring tube plunger properly.

Recoil spring are often found very inconsistant in tolerance.

Mark

Thanks,  I am struggling to locate parts.  I found some at Midway.  Most are backordered.  Do you happen to have a source?

I don’t recall where I sourced the springs a few years back, probably Midway or Brownells.  

image.thumb.png.3ccbcf50cd313adc33fe39201ce02ff8.png

this a picture of the carrier latch when I took it out to look for issues.

For clarity: is your SBE 2 releasing more than 1 shell from the magazine?  If it is, the carrier latch is out of adjustment or bent.  Do you have a extended magazine tube on the gun?  If so the carrier latch is more than likely bent.

The face of the carrier latch looks to be in very good shape, I can not determin the radius profile by the photo.  If this went to Benelli they would more than like "adjust" the carrier latch, if it releasing more than 1 shells.  "Adjust" meaning bending it back to the orginal radius profile.  

You are correct the carrier latch is very hard to get, Briley may have the latch if you purchase it in the "Kit" for, with a paddle.

Is your extractor worn?  Isd you Ejector siezed?

Sight unseen if I had the gun I would concentrate on:

Extractor

Carrier Latch

Ejector operation

Correct Recoil Spring

Shouldering

Please let me know if I can help.

Thank you.  It only happened once where more than one shell was released from the mag tube.  Std no extension.  Most of the time the gun either hangs up feeding the second round or ejects the spent bull and the next live round.  The ejector seems to be functioning fine.  I have taken the spring out and cleaned it with compressed air,re-lubed and reassembled.

I will order new extractor, spring and ejector spring.

I’ll check the shell fitment.

Thanks for the guidance!

image.thumb.png.111de92218e4c609746fe595181bad92.pngimage.thumb.png.fdb0ae53173a5da0a711d3587184b2bc.pngimage.thumb.png.3ec2937e5a043b4b26b85c168d648364.png

couldn’t get a good focused picture of the extractor.  It is worn as you can see.  Not sure how the catch release should look?

shells dropped in barrel with no restrictions.  

I’ll try other ammo tomorrow and see if it still malfunctions.  I’ll order the new extractor.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, BRPIN said:

In comparison to those pictures I think mine is fine.  Shot a different brand of ammo today (just 3 rounds) but gun ran fine.  I believe the Boss ammo is lighter powder charge which could be contributing to the issues.

I bought my original SBE (1) in 1994 and In my experience when the ammo is too light, it will eject the empty shell case, but the bolt won't go back far enough to release the next shell from the mag. You might consider shooting 1 1/8 oz DRAM, even the cheapo ammo has worked for me in all my SBE's, and other Benelli 3" guns without fail. Almost all 7/8 oz DRAM loads fail to cycle with any regularity in my SBE's and 1 oz DRAM I can get maybe 1 event like described per box of shells. The 3" chamber guns work fine with 1 oz and most of the time with the 7/8 oz.
I am sure there is a point when the powder charge comes in to play, but for me, it has always been the mass of projectiles that made the difference.

On one SBE I bought cheap from a buddy who is infamous for never cleaning his guns, the tube in the stock was all gunked up with oil and what looked like wheat chaff. Pulling the spring out, cleaning the tube thoroughly, and using dry lube (the only thing I use on mag and recoil tubes) and she ran great. The jams looked quite a bit like yours. In this case, the cause was friction.