Barrel for HK Super Black Eagle 3 1/2

Clifford

SBE 2 & SBE 3 Barrels will not fit your Super Black Eagle.  SBE barrels are going to be very difficult to find.  Souces like EBAY, Gun Broker.com, Slinks Gun Parts would be good sources to start watching.  You may need to purchase another used gun to get the barrel.  If your barrels are not bulged you may wish to freshen them up by having them cerakoted.  Good applicators can get very close to the OEM color.  

Please PM me if you wish I may be able to assist in finding a used gun.

Thank you so much for the reply. One of my Black eagles has seen a lot of service. Many years of sea-duck hunting in New England. Saltwater, granite ledges, and aluminum boats!The finish is pretty much gone. It functions perfectly. Maybe I'll have that one redone. The other one ironically, is essentially brand new. I bought it many years ago as a spare. The truth is, the first one never failed, so I never needed it. Thanks again for your great guidance. I may reach out to you. Merry Christmas.

Edited by Clifford

On 12/23/2023 at 11:36 PM, remarkable said:

SBE 2 & SBE 3 Barrels will not fit your Super Black Eagle.  SBE barrels are going to be very difficult to find.  Souces like EBAY, Gun Broker.com, Slinks Gun Parts would be good sources to start watching.  You may need to purchase another used gun to get the barrel.  If your barrels are not bulged you may wish to freshen them up by having them cerakoted.  Good applicators can get very close to the OEM color.  

Please PM me if you wish I may be able to assist in finding a used gun.

Will the SBE2 barrel not fit the SBE if ALSO using the SBE 2 forearm? OR modifying the original forearm?

33 minutes ago, Steve Rose said:

Will the SBE2 barrel not fit the SBE if ALSO using the SBE 2 forearm? OR modifying the original forearm?

Steve, you are correct it will "Fit" however forend modifications would need to be made.  I did not want to send someone down the path of buying a expensive barrel not knowing forend puchase and modification would needed.    Thank you for all of your contributions to the forum.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

One can also Dremel out the forearm if cost is an issue. The SBE 1 has a shorter barrel lug. The SBE1 slug and all SBE2's have a longer barrel lug behind the barrel band (that holds the forearm on) as shown in my barrel collection picture (none for sale):SBEwithtext-small.thumb.jpg.3779a15f21cbcf2952eb701eb3122b92.jpg

I bought a SBE2 forearm when I bought the SBE2 slug barrel. But supposedly it doesn't make the forearm loose or rattle if one only cuts out what is needed.
Note that the other differences with SBE1 vs SBE2 barrels is the rib height and angle as well as SBE1 uses Mobil chokes and the SBE2 use Crio chokes. The cannot be interchanged as the thread on Mobil are right at the muzzle whereas Crio the threads are ~3/4" down the barrel. The vent rib difference is clear in the picture above. I found it a little tough to go back and forth between them because of the different aiming point.

An alternative might be to buy the SBE2 barrel and sell your SBE1 barrel. It'll likely go for close to the same price as the new one. You might even be able to sell the forearm if in good shape to cover the SBE2 forearm. Or, sell the SBE1 and get the SBE2 (or 3). A quality HK SBE1 usually sells slightly higher than the later "Benelli USA" SBE1's and all the SBE2's.

Edited by bambihunter