M4 trigger housing

Gfarm

I am considering swapping out my polymer OEM trigger housing on my Benelli M4 for an aluminum version. First question is, is it better to go OEM aluminum or A&S aluminum housing ?  Second question is, how difficult is it to swap out the parts in my current polymer trigger group into one of the aluminum ones, maybe adding a carrier ?  I am so-so handy wise and will I need specialized tools ?  Thanks for any replies 

• Upvote 1

More depends if you want to keep it oem, need the feed ramp, or care about 922r. They are both quality products. 

As far as tools all you really need is a punch set. I did it for a friend two weeks ago & it’s not hard at all. I added a few Taran Tactical parts in the process including the extended carrier. 

Edited by Ihrinwe
  • Upvote 1

For the M4 trigger housing tools I would add a decent pair of snap ring pliers with the proper size tips to remove and install the rather stout snap ring that retains the hammer pin in an M4 housing. Looks like the M2 housing that is being swapped in the video only has a c-clip and not a tough snap ring that the M4 has for retaining that pin.

Also add a plastic bench block such as the guy in the video is using which makes the job easier.

As for whether to choose the OEM aluminum or the A&S, it's up to you but the A&S is a much nicer, finely finished smooth piece than the often roughly cast looking OEM aluminum housing.

One other tip; if you're thinking that you're going to "upgrade" your OEM housing guts with some aftermarket "better" parts, my advice is to be careful where you get them from. There are several posts on this forum about a certain suppliers aftermarket trigger housing parts that don't fit well, and need some filing, adjusting or tweaking of some sort to make them work. My advice is to just use all the OEM guts from the existing housing unless you can resurrect a Geissele hammer.

Edited by Evolution
  • Upvote 1

i went with a&s housing because i liked the look but mostly because the oem Al trigger groups were hard to come by and expensive since they were discontinued. ymmv. but ya the swapping of parts was fairly simple. i used the exact video posted above to help me out. i only remember using a punch and a roll of tape in lieu if an ar block. GL

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

For the M4 trigger housing tools I would add a decent pair of snap ring pliers with the proper size tips to remove and install the rather stout snap ring that retains the hammer pin in an M4 housing. Looks like the M2 housing that is being swapped in the video only has a c-clip and not a tough snap ring that the M4 has for retaining that pin.

Also add a plastic bench block such as the guy in the video is using which makes the job easier.

As for whether to choose the OEM aluminum or the A&S, it's up to you but the A&S is a much nicer, finely finished smooth piece than the often roughly cast looking OEM aluminum housing.

One other tip; if you're thinking that you're going to "upgrade" your OEM housing guts with some aftermarket "better" parts, my advice is to be careful where you get them from. There are several posts on this forum about a certain suppliers aftermarket trigger housing parts that don't fit well, and need some filing, adjusting or tweaking of some sort to make them work. My advice is to just use all the OEM guts from the existing housing unless you can resurrect a Geissele hammer.

My two M1014 have the same style clip as in the video. Used a knife to take it off and my fingers to put it back on. 

It for sure is the most annoying part of the whole swap though.

I went with the aluminum housing from A&S. Swapping parts is super simple. When assembling I originally installed the stock pin that retains I believe the trigger but ultimately took it back apart and installed the roll pin. Nothing was difficult. Simple hand tools and a bench. And the scallop they put in is nice as well.

I have the ramped A&S trigger housing on 2 of my M-4's. The feed ramp or "scallop" is very nice and really does help loading especially when you're not looking at it, i.e right side up. Place the shell anywhere on the ramp and it's guided right in. If you're going to get an aluminum housing I'd recommend that one.

• Upvote 1