Cleaning The R1

Bossman

• 2 months later...

I discovered that the owners manual was not very clear on maintenance. After following the directions to completely break it down it was filthy. See owners manual recommendations below:

Maintenance

Before beginning any operation whatsoever on your carbine,

always make sure that chamber and magazine have been completely

emptied!

(Carefully read loading and unloading instructions).

Thanks to its extremely simple design and accurately chosen materials,

the ARGO carbines do not require special maintenance.

We nevertheless recommend the following:

1) routine cleaning of the barrel after use;

2) periodically clean and lubricate the firing mechanism (hammer,

trigger and magazine) to avoid clogging with powder residuals

(or other foreign matter);

We had a lot of concerns on forum about feeding malfunctions. And the answers mostly point to cleaning of the gun, which is possibly right in case of careless, not proper maintenance or usage of bad quality ammunition. But I had experienced the same problem with my gun, and believe me - I’m taking very good care of it. And it doesn't happen after 10th shot, mostly after 3rd or 4th. That’s why I’m still doubtful about cleaning issue only. Somehow it might be a heating problem, because it happens mostly during follow up shots. It might also have something to do with Inertia recoil system itself. Those are just guesses.

The bottom line is - we've got a problem, and if Benelli people are screening these posts, they have to come forward with an explanation and/or solution.

Gerry,

Your complaint about the part of gun maintenance in owner's manual is absolutely correct. If you search earlier posts on the forum, you will find a lot more useful info about cleaning than in manual.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a question..

What kind of amo gives feeding issues?

After 60 rounds of mixed brands in about 45 minutes with a 10 minute cease fire in between no problems at all. The only thing was that the next 2 guys to my right stoped shooting until I was finished.

About cleaning, I think is just common sense, standard practice for anyone that handles guns with passion. The Manual is useful in understanding of what the manufacturer expects from the user. Just watch for the gas port to be clean and spray solvent on the piston rings until it comes out clear. Keep the solvent away from the rest of the rifle.

I will try harder next time, 30-06 R1 ComforTech, in California

Originally posted by satcor:

[QB] Just a question..

What kind of amo gives feeding issues?

??? Any kind, if the gun has a problem.

Thousands of owners are probably very happy with the flawless functionality of their gun. We will never know their opinion, because they, like a normal person are not going to see a doctor if they don’t have a problem…right?

Nobody will argue against the necessity of a cleaning procedure, but your own example about 60 rounds without a problem might be a signal for you, that the problem doesn’t root from the cleaning (comparing all the dirt after 60 rounds to 4~5 rounds).

In my case it was a cycling problem that needed the whole gas chamber changed. Now I’m happy like you, but somebody probably is still not.

Regardless of how fascinated we are, it’s still just a piece of metal.

[ 01-12-2006, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: garren ]

Describing what other guns are doing, or are supposed to do, can and will, give some reference to some of us out there that have no way of knowing better. Nobody was born with a piece of metal at their side. There is only one country that has the 2-nd amendment in their constitution. In some (most) parts of the world guns are illegal to own and operate…..not to mention expensive to buy.

Fascination is about people that turn the metal in something useful. It gets better once you are part of the process.

Let’s talk about good and bad, we can all learn.

Enjoy

[ 01-18-2006, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: satcor ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...

bought an R1 270 short mag today, went on my land and fired 5 shots just to see how this gun works!! 4 out 5 shots got a jam!! I am sick to my stomach right thinking I just spent that kind of money on a gun that I can't get more then one shot off!! what are my options now?? any feedback about what is going on? 

• 11 months later...

Similar experience here with Benelli R1 Pro .30-06; mine appears to be failure to eject which increases in frequency after my second box of ammo at the range. I typically use match grade only and clean thoroughly immediately upon returning home, following manual instructions. My personal conclusion (which may or may not be accurate) is that this is inherent due to the nature of the firearm, as I believe it’s intended purpose leans toward hunting rather than target shooting- just a few rounds down range per year may be all it takes for some to fill their freezer without expending enough ammo to encounter a mounting failure issue. Rather, after just a few boxes of ammo at the gun range, I’m only getting started. Somewhat disappointed, I’m now in the market for a Springfield .308.

Canadian, just ordered in my Benelli Argo in 308.

gun shop called and said it arrived. I got there the next day to pick up. 
instantly, the guy brings it out saying - hears the box, we thought we’d help you and put it together, I essentially impressed. I asked why he would open it, he said there difficult to put together, I said that’s funny, I watched enough info on it and no one felt it was a big deal. I’m in the trades, so I’m sure I could have done it. Now does this mean they changed out parts possibly, not impressed at all. Haven’t taken the time to shoot it yet, I want to have a lot of time , and that’s tough to find lately. What do you guys think of the gun shop opening and putting it together. ?

On 12/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, bass72 said:

bought an R1 270 short mag today, went on my land and fired 5 shots just to see how this gun works!! 4 out 5 shots got a jam!! I am sick to my stomach right thinking I just spent that kind of money on a gun that I can't get more then one shot off!! what are my options now?? any feedback about what is going on? 

Oh boy! not good. Best advice I can give is- Take it back to them and threaten to make them order in another . That will prompt them to send for repair. Almost the same  thing happened to me 40 years ago. Remington 72400 , I was not happy to say the least. They sent it back to me,  it fired without an issue for years after.

Dont  loose the faith.!

• 7 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:38 AM, MTW said:

Similar experience here with Benelli R1 Pro .30-06; mine appears to be failure to eject which increases in frequency after my second box of ammo at the range. I typically use match grade only and clean thoroughly immediately upon returning home, following manual instructions. My personal conclusion (which may or may not be accurate) is that this is inherent due to the nature of the firearm, as I believe it’s intended purpose leans toward hunting rather than target shooting- just a few rounds down range per year may be all it takes for some to fill their freezer without expending enough ammo to encounter a mounting failure issue. Rather, after just a few boxes of ammo at the gun range, I’m only getting started. Somewhat disappointed, I’m now in the market for a Springfield .308.

After I had just about given up, I fed the .30-06 R1 Pro some regular Walmart 150 grain (forget if it was made by Remington or Winchester) and it functioned flawlessly all day.