Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

couple pics of my new R1 with a Leupold VX-L 50mm

Pretty Cool Looking! I'll say one thing, the Comfortech is one nice looking gun. When I got mine, I first drew the line at $500 for my scope, considering the VX III. I eventually ended up with a Zeiss I liked for a little more. I liked the VXL, but had to draw the line somewhere.

Did you get it at the new Cabelas in Richfield? I live just West of Madison, and that is about as close as I would want to be to a store with so many toys. I was just there last week to pick up a pair of Zeiss binos.

Good luck Nov 18!

Jim

One more thing. Several R1 owners have had problems with groups. Things I can tell you. No gun shoots well dirty, but the R1 appears to be really sensitive to fouling. Maybe that is more normal than I have had experience with, but you may find that 15 shots in, you'll start throwing shells...and it will likely be because it needs a very thorough cleaning. The other thing that no one in sales or in Benellis lit. tells you is that Benelli specs the gun at 2.5" at 100 yards.

I just got my gun back from Benelli because it wouldn't group. They told me that after extensive cleaning, they got a 1.25" group. I thought ok, maybe I need to learn more about cleaing the gun. Then I got the gun back, with the target, which reflects a 2.25" group, and that is considered within Benelli spec.

I suspect that if Benelli advertised the gun's accuracy as 2.5", few would buy it. It is a cool gun, but its accuracy appears to vary by gun. It isn't a bolt so shooting sub MOA, or even 1 MOA wasn't my expectation, but I thought, wrongly, that 1-2" would come - I even spoke with a Benelli rep.

Mine is a 300 WSM.

Lastly, others, like Tucker, have managed to get their R1 to shoot some **** good groups (1" or less). I don't know what exactly they did to make that happen, but I seem to recall Tucker also saying that he thought the gun was very sensitive.

Ok now lastly, I think you'll really like the recoil. For a 300 mag, it was pretty mild.

Good luck. If you get a good group, let me know what you were shooting. Mine did not like Winchesters, 150s or 180s. It did ok with 165 Fusions. I am going to try two Federals this weekend.

Have fun.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

The shot on this bou was only at about 60 yards, however he was running like his but was on fire, nice to have a rifle that you can shoot and stay in the scope for the follow up shot. Hit him with the 3rd shot. My R-1 is a great rifle and it spits Barnes X bullets like darts. The proof is on the ground. Lets see what other have bagged with thier Bennelli's.

IMGP0376.jpg

• 4 weeks later...