Skeet/Trap/Etc. Phobia

mjs

I am an older new shooter. I recently joined the local skeet and Trap range, but seem to have a phobia or shyness about going there to shoot. I basically know nothing about what to do and don't want to make a fool of myself. Any suggestions? Should I get some instruction before showing up?

Thanks, Mike Scott

You might actually be able to get some instruction there. Call them up and ask if they offer any lessons, as I'm sure that you aren't the first first time shooter that they've had.

I know what you mean though. I worry about the same thing - worrying that I'll go there, miss every clay that flies by and have people wondering why I'm holding a shotgun. :D

Give your club a call and ask what they have available - I'm positive they'll hook you up.

Best of luck - hope you enjoy it thoroughly. :cool:

I never been to a Gun club where everyone was not very considerate of a new shooter and more that willing to help and show you the ropes. Be advised that all help is freely given but all is not readily adaptiable to where you are as a shooter. You will get a lot of "just do this" so keep an open mind and take every thing that you fell applies to you

I was the same way, but for my club dues, I want to take advantage of everything they've got, so I just bucked up and asked for help. Everyone was new once, and I didn't know the first thing about how the trap counters and machines worked. They have been nice about showing me what to do. I have still yet to work the skeet houses or sporting clays stations, but I'll get around to it.

Don't worry about not hitting targets, that's part of learning. There are some good books out there about shotgun sports. Singles trap is the simplest and easiest to learn, but most say skeet is easier to master as far as hitting the targets all the time. Sporting clays is the most fun and most practical but also the most difficult.

When I started out some years ago I felt the same but found out real quick that the people on the line with me were patient and did offer help. Understand too that when I started out I only shot on the "practice" squards which put some in the same boat I was in.

If you haven't found it out already the comaradary (no spell check handy) is catching.

Enjoy, it's a blast!

Talk to the range master and some of the guys hanging around - and just tell them you're new to the game - and ask if they'll help you out a little.

As long as you're safe - noone really cares - and just have a good time. At my club we frequently help out new shooters - maybe a little discussion beforehand - and then we just walk them thru the stations. Don't let it get you down - come on out and play.

• 2 weeks later...

My first time I shot trap was in a competition, and I hit 5/25, which was about 5 better than I thought I would do. I am taking some lessons now, and I am improving. Just takes time, but the most important step is the first step. (WOW that was DEEP!) Talk to people at the range, and they can point you in the right direction to pick it up.

• 1 month later...

I dont shoot the best at the gun club with either trap or skeet, but for some strange reason when I hunt with friends I kill and miss just as many birds as my friends who are very serious shooters.

The situation makes it all unique and can throw off even the best shooters. Although I still highly reccomend the practice as it will only make you better.

Hi MJS,

First of all, Welcome to the shooting sports. If you want help there is one good way to get it. Help the club members run the club. You will find that less than 10% of shooters ever load targets, clean facilities, move lead, mow grass or any of the humdreds of things that need to be done. Spend a few minutes helping the 10% and they will spend HOURS helping you become a better shooter. I always make it a point to load more targets than I shoot. A year ago I shot 4 out of 25 on my first attempt. This week I shot my first 100 straight. Why? Because of all the help I got from members!

Shoot Safe, John

• 4 weeks later...

ask the trapper to throw a target for all the group to see.

go second or third in the group you'll get to see were the clays are going but still be fresh enough to shoot insted of walking up to the station after 3 other people with splinters in your bum.

ask what bird people shoot first

hearing protection get the best you can. good earplug under muffs. electronic or otherwise.