The HBO Filter is Set to Kill

tucker301

oh ****, I as wondering about all those asterisks too. Didn't even occur it was an admin deal, thought it was some email/chat abbreviation like imho, omg, wtf, etc etc. It sure makes reading about s****s somewhat ****ish. What's so bad about saying **** anyway?

Support your local PJ

Was the programer a radical Amish ??

Don't laugh too much at that.

Those crazy bastiges stole a doe from an Ohio hunter at gunpoint!

I made this post and I have e-mailed the Admin.

Don't what else to do, unless we all simply start making all of our ****ing posts with so many ****ing curse words that no son of a ***** can figure what the **** we're ****ing talking about.

Then we'd all be like HOGWILD :eek:

I emailed "Gray Loon" at the company who put the website together he sent me this reply:

When we imported the old forum data into the new forum, filters were mistakenly adjusted. I have corrected this behavior, so shells will not become s****s. Also, some forum members may take offense to the use of “****.”

I said I disagreed with his opinion on the "he11" word, I would hope we are all a little more thick skinned than to take offence at that.

In any case filters should remove some of the word but at least present a guessable clue as to what it was, i.e. H**l rather than **** !!

photopro

I have emailed Gray Loon again and requested a less aggressive stance on the filtering. Some words such as (0ck should be allowed if used in the correct context. Day to day monitoring by moderators is the only practical way to do this not by a blanket ban. It works on other sites why not this one?

Is it widely known that US Benelli owners are of a delicate disposition :)

photopro

I'd rather live with an aggressive filter versus no filter. There are too many morons in the world that don't understand what offensive is. It seems to be working fine now, but it's nice to have something in place rather than nothing.

Moderate a forum sometime. It's a thankless job, filled with whiners knocking at your door all the time, and children that fight with one another endlessly.

A little filter never hurt anyone ;)

No question about the filter being there but when it's taking out the middle of words then it isn't working properly - shells being a prime example. You wouldn't want ot tollerate that would you? It leads to postings being almost unreadable, second guessing what people are trying to say.

When you take the job of a moderator on you have to be prepared to moderate otherwise you don't take the job.

photopro

All I'm saying is that we should probably leave the torches and pitchforks at home and that all the attention this is getting probably isn't necessary. It isn't the mods that are causing the problem. Obviously the forum upgrade changed some defaults and those defaults needed to be adjusted. Done.

This isn't a matter of how much offense people should be able to handle, or even how inconvenient it was to interpret shell was blocking out the last four letters. Notify the mods, give them time to respond and or fix the problem.

As for not taking the job that's a moot point. I'd love to be a mod here. Of course we'd have a smaller forum family if I was a mod as I'd have to ban the stupid people.

:D

The guy who has the admin access, who changed the filtering wasn't aware of the situation. Tucker and myself and maybe others had emailed requests for a filter rework, hence the comment about moderators. As recently as yesterday further changes were made again not prompted by a moderator.

I am aware of forum protocol - note signature - and as an administrator you generally assume things are OK if nothing is said.

As for banning the stupid people, I would suggest adding the members who make daft postings but then if we did that there would only be a small group of us left wouldn't there ?? :)

photopro