Rifled Choke Tube...

TW Houston

Greetings to the Benelli forum.

Like many that are posting their frustrations in securing a rifled slug barrel to swap with their smooth bored barrels, I, too, after many calls and searches can not locate a rifled barrel for my SuperNova.

So here’s the question...

Has anyone tried a rifled choke tube?

And if so, what were the results and satisfaction/dissatisfaction?

Thanking, in advance, all posted responses.

TW :cool:

Greetings to the Benelli forum.

Like many that are posting their frustrations in securing a rifled slug barrel to swap with their smooth bored barrels, I, too, after many calls and searches can not locate a rifled barrel for my SuperNova.

So here’s the question...

Has anyone tried a rifled choke tube?

And if so, what were the results and satisfaction/dissatisfaction?

Thanking, in advance, all posted responses.

TW :cool:

Hey did ya try to special order thru Brownells or Numrich? Where did Benelli say to buy one? just because they show one in their catalog does not mean the can be had unless Benelli tells you they can't be had! Myself would opt for the barrel and the rifled tube but would not do one without the other, never tried your question but feel ballistics would probably be a wash? try it ya might like it, but feel it will not improve patterns too much!!

Hey did ya try to special order thru Brownells or Numrich? Where did Benelli say to buy one? just because they show one in their catalog does not mean the can be had unless Benelli tells you they can't be had! Myself would opt for the barrel and the rifled tube but would not do one without the other, never tried your question but feel ballistics would probably be a wash? try it ya might like it, but feel it will not improve patterns too much!!

Am I reading that correctly? Did you say you would prefer the rifled barrel with a rifled tube or did you mean something else?

TW,

Looks like one on auctionarms right now. Click here.

ID,

I have a fully rifled SBE and it is amazing with respect to accuracy. under 2" groups @ 100 yds.....my $250 TC Encore barrel is a little more accurate when both guns are shooting 3" slugs!

In addition, I have a Beretta Rifled Choke tube (factory choke) and have used in on both my SBE, M1 and smooth bore Beretta guns with extremely good results. +3" groups (3 shots) are common at 75 yards but it's not near the accuracy of a rifled barrel....i have not tested beyond 75 yards with this setup.

A rifled choke is better than a smooth bore beyond 50 yards......i still shoot my smooth bore slug guns because very few of my shots on deer here in Ohio are beyond 40 yards......if your going to be shooting beyond 50 yards on a regular basis a rifled choke is super.....if your shooting beyond 100 yards I'd opt for the fully rifled barrel.....that's my 2 cents!

Hogwild,

I did contact Brownells, but they did not know when a barrel would be available (put deposit money down and wait). I, too, felt like the ballistics would be a wash, but I do not know enough about ballistics to not be curious... thus asking if anyone has any experience. Thank you for the suggestions.

OneShot,

Thanks for the post. That is good information to keep in mind while still looking for the cantilevered slug barrel.

Idaho,

Thanks for the post, though I missed the auction. However, it gave me a bookmark to an auction site unknown beforehand.

10Guage,

Thanks for the information. It’s worth more than $.02 to me.

Honestly a smooth bore slug should be good enough to get ya some dinner, ya hunt slug only state? My BIL uses a smooth bore 20 Guage and he fills the freezer with it! once ya learn its POI and get on them really do not feel rifled slug barrel would be worth all the hassles & $$$.$$ but if ya got it spend it!!what ya going to improve 1 to 1 1/2" on pattern? range is dictated by slug dropping like a C130 with 2 Engines out past 125 Yds, some of the new slugs might be doing better?

SD44, you've stated what I believed all along... rifled shotgun barrels, like rifle barrels, have a consistant twist rate for the length of the barrel, thus there should be no opportunity to alter the twist via choke tubes. While I have not looked at a rifled shotgun barrel, I have assumed all along that they do not have chokes.

I think I have enough information, considering 10Guage's post, to realize that a rifled choke tube will work well enough for my limited use of a slug gun. I hunt deer and elk with a rifle, but if the weather is really poor I want to use the Benelli and leave the rifles with scopes in the dry.

I am planning to buy a Carlson's rifled choke tube and give it a try on the range, unless someone has a better suggestion for rifled choke tubes. I'll post the results.

I was checking out those rifled barrels on auctionarms.com and I can't get over the prices. $365 seems like a whole lot of money for a used barrel when you can get a whole new gun for around $300. The market for benelli barrels is wildly inflated due to zero supply. Time for Benelli to make more and sell them direct via website or at least make them easier for dealers to get their hands on. This is a crazy situation that will put off a lot of potential buyers. Time for Benelli to get their **** in gear and sort this out.