M4 O-Rings/Barrel Ports and other ?'s

Unobtanium

Just looking for some parts on Brownells (Aluminum mag follower) and found that the M4 has "Gas plug O-rings".

I thought Benelli got rid of all the O-rings and other items?

Apparently not. Should I get some spare O-rings for the gas-plugs? How hard are they to replace? How many are on each gas-plug?

Also, where does this "gas plug" O-ring go? Does it just seal the gas-plug on, or is it part of a reciprocating assy. (the piston)? Any pix clarifying this would be GREAT!

Any other O-rings or other items in the M4 that I should stock as replacement parts?

Did a search on here and found that the 4-port barrels were causing lots of issues. On the newer M4's (one I would order now), the 2-port system is fine and all the old ones are out of the pipeline, right? What is the current status of this issue? Are 2-port barrels in production again? (all the posts I found were circa '05) Will they feed the cheap birdshot okay? Did Benelli change port-size to allow this? Educate me.

ETA: Is there a common hardware store stocked O-ring that could be substituted in a pinch for the Benelli ones? If so, does anyone know it's size?

Save your money, I'll pass you a set of Viton O-rings to you once I determine the size and durometer of the factory rings. Simple enough to replace, they provide a leak free seal which allow the gas plug springs to do their job of releasing excess pressure. The answers to your questions are found within publicly available documentation and phone calls placed to Benelli CS.

I appreciate that you're trying to research every possible aspect of this gun before your purchase of one, but you're really over doing it.

I have at least 6000 rounds through my m4 by this point and guess how many components I have replaced? Guess how many times I have cleaned my recoil tube/spring? Guess how many times the gun has ever jammed/malfunctioned?

The only issues I have EVER had with this gun was during the first ~200 rounds, some lighter rounds would not cycle the gun, and I think when I tried to 7+1+1 it choked a few times and didn't autoload.

You really shouldn't be so paranoid about stuff breaking and needing replacement when you havent even purchased/shot the firearm in question.

My $.02

btw after all these rounds, the only way to really tell my gun has been shot at all is the parkerizing around the bolt carrier group has started to get worn off, it is slightly silver in some spots. The m4 is built to last.

I appreciate that you're trying to research every possible aspect of this gun before your purchase of one, but you're really over doing it.

I have at least 6000 rounds through my m4 by this point and guess how many components I have replaced? Guess how many times I have cleaned my recoil tube/spring? Guess how many times the gun has ever jammed/malfunctioned?

The only issues I have EVER had with this gun was during the first ~200 rounds, some lighter rounds would not cycle the gun, and I think when I tried to 7+1+1 it choked a few times and didn't autoload.

You really shouldn't be so paranoid about stuff breaking and needing replacement when you havent even purchased/shot the firearm in question.

My $.02

btw after all these rounds, the only way to really tell my gun has been shot at all is the parkerizing around the bolt carrier group has started to get worn off, it is slightly silver in some spots. The m4 is built to last.

I presume they are now using the 2-port barrels again then? Sounds like you got a great weapon! (I have had lots very high-end stuff take a dump on me before, sorry for my paranoia.)

• 4 years later...
Guest Steven Lumbley

This might be an old post but the reason I am on here is because after 100 rounds through my benelli I had a bad o ring in my ARGO system. Customer service is great and sending me a few OEM replacements but it does happen and paranoia led me to clean my argo system even after customer service reccomends not doing it until after 5000 rounds. Do you guys know of anyone else that sells replacements?[ATTACH=CONFIG]1920[/ATTACH]

I replaced the o-rings on one my M4s that I have had for about 5 years.

They were getting torn/worn from repeated removal, not normal operation.

I think unscrewing the plugs wears them more than anything.

Brownells sells replacements but they appear to be out of stock and ever increasing in price even though

they are relatively cheap:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/o-rings/gas-plug-o-ring-sku301000497-23649-50266.aspx