Magazine-spring question

Unobtanium

You may reserve via email; [email protected] subject line "M4 spring only".

Paying via PayPal, or with USPO money orders. Please do NOT send Paypal payment until notified of "In Stock" status. Money orders can be sent to our Gunbroker.com address during check-out (we list them there when in stock... next shipment from W.C. Wolff completes this Friday expected in stock by Dec 27)

Note; Initially we requested chrome silicon springs, HTCS (High Tensile value Carbon Steel) is what Wolff is supplying, and recommends as superior in this application. Chrome silicon works better in hi-cyclic rate extreme heat applications, where frequent replacement is the norm (race engines, etc). Chrome silicon while available, will not out perform HTCS, it may out sell HTCS, but our goal is optimal performance, side-stepping frills. W.C. Wolff has been at this 50 years... we trust their engineering advice implicitly.

You may order direct, or through Gunbroker.com when listed.

email sent, sign me up...

I have used Wolf, Surecycle, an Benelli springs designed for the 7-shot tube. Benelli is the only one I will run or recommend to those I care about. The Benelli spring is just a lot "stiffer" and I have NEVER had a jam with the correct 7-shot spring. The 40" Wolf (I think it was 40", it was billed as for a 7-shot tube) and 36" Surecycle both were full of fail.

Just my experience with my former M4 S90.

Guest cleefurd
I have used Wolf, Surecycle, an Benelli springs designed for the 7-shot tube. Benelli is the only one I will run or recommend to those I care about. The Benelli spring is just a lot "stiffer" and I have NEVER had a jam with the correct 7-shot spring. The 40" Wolf (I think it was 40", it was billed as for a 7-shot tube) and 36" Surecycle both were full of fail.

Just my experience with my former M4 S90.

Until recently I would concur with that statement... Wolff never HAD a Benelli 7 rd spring. They have no spring designated for the M4 either. Their 40" spring has unfinished ends, and incorrect wire diameter... intended as a generic way for people to fashion a remedy where one might not otherwise exist for unspecified 12 ga tubes. It (the generic 40" Wolff Unobtanium tried was and is too weak) Unobtanium previously stated that he remedied the problem in his former M4 by utilizing the M1 7rd specific spring to correct heavy recoil loads in his M4. Anyone who has tried this knows THAT won't work with the stock M4 follower, since the M1 spring is substantially larger in diameter than the M4's, thusly it won't properly nestle into the M4 follower, not even close, while it is arguable that buying an additional M1 follower (thinner stamped steel than the machined aluminum M4 follower with its constricted spring pocket) and tossing the nice M4 follower would allow the M1 spring to cross over.

Which brings us to the latest offering, produced by carriercomp with the gracious cooperation of Wolff gunspring Co, an updated previously unobtainable version developed with the M4 in mind. We (carriercomp) apparently took/endured every road/hurdle Unobtanium had. The material selection and wire diameter were UPGRADED in this joint venture, and the incoming M4 specific springs (250 to ship from Wolff to carriercomp) are unlike any previously available from them. If anyone has ever had an OEM Benelli spring slip from their grasp when fully compressed (M1 or M4 flavor) they have invariably noted that they will kink during the mayhem, belying an inalienable truth... a spring that kinks easily, takes a set easily, which in my humble opinion, cries out for remedial action. (Dozens of users with the same lament/experience can't all be wrong I hope) While the previous Wolff springs would not take an exhorbitant set, or kink near as easily, they had a 5% SMALLER wire diameter than the Benelli springs, and that is yet another instance where Unobtanium's experiences continue to hold water, the net effect was a higher quality spring, that was weaker by default. The latest offering uses Wolff's HTCS spring, in an upgraded wire diameter that compliments Benellis design parameters for the M4 wire dia/spring O.D., as well as incorporating the logical elongated configuration as was common for the M1 7 rd tube spring (which on my M1 was 31"... having took the typical set to 4" shorter than Unobtanium's 35" M1 spring), but apparently not offered for the M4. All we did was develop what everyone wished was available based on previous experience with M1's, that somehow failed to cross-over into the M4 platform. I understand Unobtaniums frustration, been there...

[email protected]

Edited by cleefurd
Hi lite the never before offered clarification/added email

Until recently I would concur with that statement... Wolff never HAD a Benelli 7 rd spring. They have no spring designated for the M4 either. Their 40" spring has unfinished ends, and incorrect wire diameter... intended as a generic way for people to fashion a remedy where one might not otherwise exist for unspecified 12 ga tubes. It (the generic 40" Wolff Unobtanium tried was and is too weak) Unobtanium previously stated that he remedied the problem in his former M4 by utilizing the M1 7rd specific spring to correct heavy recoil loads in his M4. Anyone who has tried this knows THAT won't work with the stock M4 follower, since the M1 spring is substantially larger in diameter than the M4's, thusly it won't properly nestle into the M4 follower, not even close, while it is arguable that buying an additional M1 follower (thinner stamped steel than the machined aluminum M4 follower with its constricted spring pocket) and tossing the nice M4 follower would allow the M1 spring to cross over.

Which brings us to the latest offering, produced by carriercomp with the gracious cooperation of Wolff gunspring Co, an updated previously unobtainable version developed with the M4 in mind. We (carriercomp) apparently took/endured every road/hurdle Unobtanium had. The material selection and wire diameter were UPGRADED in this joint venture, and the incoming M4 specific springs (250 to ship from Wolff to carriercomp) are unlike any previously available from them. If anyone has ever had an OEM Benelli spring slip from their grasp when fully compressed (M1 or M4 flavor) they have invariably noted that they will kink during the mayhem, belying an inalienable truth... a spring that kinks easily, takes a set easily, which in my humble opinion, cries out for remedial action. (Dozens of users with the same lament/experience can't all be wrong I hope) While the previous Wolff springs would not take an exhorbitant set, or kink near as easily, they had a 5% SMALLER wire diameter than the Benelli springs, and that is yet another instance where Unobtanium's experiences continue to hold water, the net effect was a higher quality spring, that was weaker by default. The latest offering uses Wolff's HTCS spring, in an upgraded wire diameter that compliments Benellis design parameters for the M4 wire dia/spring O.D., as well as incorporating the logical elongated configuration as was common for the M1 7 rd tube spring (which on my M1 was 31"... having took the typical set to 4" shorter than Unobtanium's 35" M1 spring), but apparently not offered for the M4. All we did was develop what everyone wished was available based on previous experience with M1's, that somehow failed to cross-over into the M4 platform. I understand Unobtaniums frustration, been there...

[email protected]

It nestled just fine in my M4 follower when I looked at it.

However, if you have a spring that is designed exactly for this application, I would recommend someone try it (I recently sold my M4).

Guest cleefurd

In the event that I misunderstood, I "thought" your M1 spring fit into the M4 follower. My apologies if I got it all backwards. Mine would not fit, but the Wolff ones did, although the old style was weak just like you said.

It could be that your era M4 had followers that were compatible with your M1's spring. The more things change....:rolleyes: ...

Funny how something as fundamental as a spring, can be the Achilles heel of supreme design.