M3 Functions

Don60

Hello Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum and very happy to join.

If I may, I would like to ask a few questions of the members about the M3. I am considering a purchase soon but from research on the net I am confused about a few things that possibly someone could clarify for me.

First in pump action mode does the action lock when a round is chambered,I have read some conflicting statements that it may or may not.And second some statements I have read imply that the pump action mode is only for the use of light loads and not intended for full power loads.

Thanks in advance...Don

Thankyou for your reply,

I have considered the M4, and may purchase one at some point.

The M3 has always interested me in its dual capability and also the possibility of using a longer vented barrel if I desired.

So far from what I read the M4 has no barrel options. I understand that for the purpose it was designed it seems to have no rivals, but at this time I am looking for a little versitility as oppose to a straight combat weapon.

Thanks, Don

Hello Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum and very happy to join.

If I may, I would like to ask a few questions of the members about the M3. I am considering a purchase soon but from research on the net I am confused about a few things that possibly someone could clarify for me.

First in pump action mode does the action lock when a round is chambered,I have read some conflicting statements that it may or may not.And second some statements I have read imply that the pump action mode is only for the use of light loads and not intended for full power loads.

Thanks in advance...Don

First of all, Yes, the action is locked in the pump action mode, as is the action in all modern firearms that I know of, (except blowback operation) it keeps a high powered firearm from blowing a cartridge up when it is fired, by containing the "explosion" confined in the chamber.

Secondly, the pump action can be used for light loads, and "special purpose" loads (gas, bean bag, other less lethal LE loads) that don't have enough energy to operate the "semi-auto" action.

I have an M-3 that I have used for several years, with all kinds of loads, light and heavy, in both pump and semi-auto actions, and it has never failed to function as long as I pay attention to the power of the loads. Generally, Low Brass=Pump / High Brass=Semi-auto, allthough there are some heavier low brass that will function the semi-auto action, the Wal-mart cheapies won't. There are 26" barrels with interchangable chokes available, but they run nearly $600.00 and if your M-3 has ghost ring sights mounted on the receiver, you will have to remove them to use the new barrel, as the GR sights will be in the sight plane of the new barrel. Some here on he Forum say that adding weight will affect the inertia action of the gun in semi-auto, but i have added a Benneli mag extension, a 8 shot side saddle and rail, and a 4 shot side saddle on the butt stock, and it still works fine. The Bennelis are expensive, but if you want one BUY IT!! I love mine, and I trust it to function when it is needed. My opinion is based on owning and using one for several years, some opinions you get here are just that, "opinions" based on "my buddy says" or "I heard of a guy once".

It is a good, dependable gun. If you want it Buy it. They're are several on Gunbroker right now. The cheapest is at: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154326592

Hopes this helps.

I also have a Benelli M3 that i do enjoy. Rifle sights on mine with a pistol grip. I can see one reasion to go with the M3 instead of the M4 for a few reasion. 1 reasion would be the price, and the second reasion still having the dual mode of operation. I also picked up a used 26 inch field barrel for hunting.

Its a shame i am not a very good picture taker.

JesseDSC00791-1.jpg