Please help me pick out a shotgun

Goodgirlfriend

That's right. M4 it is. M2s are nice, but it's not the same. He likes tactical weapons, then he likes Benelli M4s. An M2 is a step backwards and you'll risk disappointing him since you came so close to the M4 but didn't quite get it. I would be disappointed if that happened to me. Once again. You can't go wrong with an M4. In Black. Camo is cool but it costs a little more and some people don't like them. You can't go wrong with black, everybody likes black guns..... everybody.

You might even consider the Benelli M3 Convertible which the military and police all over the world depend on. This shotgun can be quickly changed from a fast cycling semi-auto for conventional loads to a manual pump action for low energy special purpose loads such as gas, beanbag and rubber bullet loads. For semi-auto action, merely rotate the selector ring 1/4 turn, push the forend forward and release the selector, to switch back to pump action simply reverse the procedure.

The M3 can be purchased for under $1300 and as low as $1100.

The Benelli M4's can run from $1450 all the way up to $1900+.

If your man intends to put a lot of accessories and gadgets on his Benelli, then I would say that the M4 is the best choice. The super dependable Inertia Driven system was a natural choice, but to fully equip a combat shotgun with night-vision scopes and other specialized equipment would add a lot of weight and could compromise the Inertia Driven system. To ensure reliability, Benelli engineers developed the ARGO system.

pix873343673.jpg

M3

Edited by hattles

The Benelli M2 Tactical is also a great choice. It is a no-nonsense 12-gauge shotgun that is also used by police and military the world over . Like all Benelli semiautomatic shotguns the M2 Tactical is Inertia Driven. The M2 can be found for under $1200.

pix456032489.jpg

M2

Edited by hattles

The Benelli M2 Tactical is also a great choice. It is a no-nonsense 12-gauge shotgun that is also used by police and military the world over . Like all Benelli semiautomatic shotguns the M2 Tactical is Inertia Driven. The M2 can be found for under $1200.

pix456032489.jpg

I thought the M4 uses the argo system not inertia drive?

You might even consider the Benelli M3 Convertible which the military and police all over the world depend on. This shotgun can be quickly changed from a fast cycling semi-auto for conventional loads to a manual pump action for low energy special purpose loads such as gas, beanbag and rubber bullet loads. For semi-auto action, merely rotate the selector ring 1/4 turn, push the forend forward and release the selector, to switch back to pump action simply reverse the procedure.

The M3 can be purchased for under $1300 and as low as $1100.

The Benelli M4's can run from $1450 all the way up to $1900+.

If your man intends to put a lot of accessories and gadgets on his Benelli, then I would say that the M4 is the best choice. The inertia guns can have cycling issues if you hang a lot of weight from them; lights, shell carriers, scopes, other gadgets and the story on the internet was that the military specs required a gun that could handle the gadgets and that is why Benelli developed the ARGO gas system for the M4.

pix873343673.jpg

M3

I agree the M3 is another great option. My buddy has one and always rubs it in my face when I tell him about my M4 not cycling reduced recoil rounds saying " you shoulda got a M3"

Dear readers,

My boyfriends birthday is coming up and I would like to invest in a Benelli for him. He loves guns, but does not hunt. He enjoys the tactical side of shooting. A couple of his favorite guns he now owns are his Wilson Combat and Ed Brown. I am looking to get him something to keep us safe, but also a shotgun that he can play with and enjoy. I don't know a whole lot about guns, so I am looking to you guys to help point me in the right direction. I don't mind spending some money, but would like to

Keep it under $1500.

Thanks for your help!

Do you have a sister that isn't already married? :D

All,

You have been so helpful. I am leaning more toward the M2, just because I feel like it would be "enough" gun for him, would be fun for me to shoot also, and it seems like it would require a little less maintenance. What is the real difference between the M2 and the M4?

A gift certificate is not an option, as I think it would have so much more meaning to him that I picked it out. Neither gun is a poor choice and I don't see him bring disappointed with the outcome either way.

Dirtyb762 - I don't think my generous gift will warrent me a ring, I'm afraid. Maybe in a couple years.

Keep up with the good replies!

You are definitely an awesome GF for wanting to do this. Respectfully, however, there are some things in this world that just should not be given without consulting the person who it is being given to. A gun is most certainly one of these things. It's an incredibly personal decision. And I don't mean personal from an emotional standpoint. I mean from a functional standpoint. How it feels, how it's balanced, how the weapon shoulders, the positioning of the controls, etc. These things simply cannot be evaluated for another person...and should not. Especially if this gun will ever serve in a personal defense role...which you mentioned it will.

It also seems clear that you don't have enough information about what he really wants. Does he want a gun he can hunt with or shoot clays with? Does he want a gun he can compete with? Does he want a kickass tactical gun? Does he want a gun that can serve multiple roles? What is HIS definition of "play with and enjoy?"

You also mentioned one very key point that tells me more than anything that you should not be making the final decision. You said, "I don't know a whole lot about guns." I'm not trying to be mean here. What you're doing is awesome and he will love you like crazy for it. I just don't think you're equipped to make this decision for him...even if I thought it was a good idea (per my comments above)

Your thinking that it will have so much more meaning to him if you pick it out probably isn't true. I know that's how women think. And if we were talking about a tie or something here, you'd probably be right. Trust me...he will be ECSTATIC that you are doing this for him! A gift certificate or you telling him that you want to take him shopping for his new shotgun will have just as much meaning...I promise you. And it might actually mean more to him for you to go with him to the gun store to compare the M2 and M4 and make the final decision together. It's something the two of you can share together and a memory that you can create.

With that said, here are some of the differences between the M2 and M4...and some comments...

Other's have pointed out that the M2 is inertia driven and the M4 is gas. Personally I think the M4 gas system shoots a bit softer than the M2.

The M2, however, has the ability to accept different barrels. This could be key if the gun is going to be used for both home defence and clays or hunting. The M4 is strictly a combat shotgun. It comes with an 18.5 inch barrel and they don't make longer barrels for it (generally preferred for hunting and clays). The M4 is also more robust with respect to being able to add sights, lights, lasers, side saddles, etc. The added weight of these things on the M2 may affect its performance.

I really don't think there is going to be much of a maintenance difference between these two systems. Not enough to matter anyway (IMO).

Why wouldn't the M4 be fun for you to shoot? And why does that matter? I thought this was a gift for him? :D

I'm curious what "enough" gun for him means? And what if you're wrong? :D

I really hope I haven't offended you with any of this. If I did, I'm sorry as it really wasn't my intent. I hope you'll give some thoughtful consideration to what I've said about letting him pick it out.

Peace and good luck