Benelli handguard rail system

rickp1

hey guys,

I got a Sidearmor rail system for my M4. I also know that surefire makes a rail system handguard. I want to add a magpul angle fore grip to the shotgun but really dont want to buy the surefire handguard unless I have to. I also don't need double side rails, one from the sidearmor and the second from the surefire handguard, its double kill.

All I need is just a rail on the bottom of the handguard. Does anyone know if those are available?

Thanks

R.

Edited by rickp1

You'll need to add a rail system that replaces the handguards in order to add an AFG. Obviously the Surefire M80 is the most popular. There are a couple other brands as well, but they're all generally the same.

I had the SideArmor rail system before. I ended up selling it and transitioning to the Surefire M80 for weight savings.

I still havent installed mine but i do have them. I was a bit surprised about weight too. let me ask you did you ahve any issues with rounds slipping out?

If i use the surefire HG then i'll have double side rails. I have a buddy here he own Boresights Solutions that can probably do a custom job and add a single rail to the stock HG. It should be right up his alley

Do you have the full rail system or just the shell carrier top rail? I never had issues with shells slipping. I determined that I'd rather run a 3 gunners velcro shell carrier that didn't penalize me in the weight department. I usually use a California Competitions belt carrier for 6 spare rounds in the field and a BlackHawk 55 round bandolier. I keep one of the bandoliers next to the M4 and filled with an assortment of buckshot and slug party favors.

If a company modified existing handguards to have a placement for a rail, this would be a huge seller. I would recommend doing the modifications to the FFT reproduction handguards though. That way people could get the 922 compliance part as well as a superior handguard. The biggest fail FTT did when they copied the factory handguard was not adding the ability to add small rail segments.

I personally prefer the stock handguard over the M80 rail system. It has better ergonomics and is lighter.

WOW, your thinking is right along with mine.

I got the full rail including the horizontal 2 shell holder for combat reloads. It beats the heavy duty rubber band i used in the past. But back to what I said earlier, because of the weight issue, Im really on the fence about it and considering the velcro setup. I think its genious for speed and efficeincy. My only concern would be shell security. I've heard guys runnning that setup that shells fall out unless you put them upside down.

I agree Benelli needs to redesign their HG and have the ability to put rails on them without replacing the whole setup.

The rails will shake loose if they're not properly tightened and blue loc-tite used on the receiver threads. I never had one strip the threads though. The full length SideArmor transfers quite a bit of barrel 'shock' through the rail and into the receiver attachment points. If you watched the M4 in slow motion, there is considerable flex in the barrel and receiver during heavy recoil. I had pitched many load bearing ideas to SideArmor, but they never implemented them. Basically, the attachments to the receiver should not be load bearing. The holes for the rear sight should have been used as well since they're on a thicker portion of the receiver.

The attachment knob at the front of the barrel/rail coupler would work its way loose during shooting from time to time. They should of added a detent to the knob like the magazine cap has.

Thanks for you answer.

I used Loctite, and so far I'm happy with it, but you made a point there, the full rail system is a heavy piece of metal, mainly held in place by 5 TINY screws in the receiver...

If I go for a second M4, I might go with Kips rail, though I really like the shell holder of the sidearmor system.

Thanks for you answer.

I used Loctite, and so far I'm happy with it, but you made a point there, the full rail system is a heavy piece of metal, mainly held in place by 5 TINY screws in the receiver...

If I go for a second M4, I might go with Kips rail, though I really like the shell holder of the sidearmor system.

i dont like side rails but... the sidearmor is the best because you can leave the track on the m4 and take off the actual shell carrier