Vertical Forward Grip Question

Amsdorf

So, I've got my M4, and am slowly adding things. I'm leaning toward a railed foreend for light and...a vertical forward grip.

But....

I would like some advice/observation. Is using a VFG a good idea with a shotgun? And if so, which one would you guys recommend?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1563[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1564[/ATTACH]

The use of a VFG depends on the size of your hand, accessory layout and ability to manage recoil. I wrap my hand around the front of the VFG with thumb resting on the rail parallel to the barrel; that is, I do not use a beer-can grip on the VFG. This gives me a good grip and the thumb is ready to activate the light. Also, since this is the same way I use a VFG on my AR-15, I maintain consistency.

I use the MAGPUL Rail Vertical Grip (RVG): Designed for use with 1913 Picatinny railed hand guards, the RVG is a basic, light weight, cost-effective vertical fore grip. Shape is ergonomically designed for use as a traditional vertical grip. It has also been optimized for use with the "thumb break method" of shooting as taught by Magpul DynamicsSM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1563[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1564[/ATTACH]

The use of a VFG depends on the size of your hand, accessory layout and ability to manage recoil.

Can you elaborate? Is it more difficult to manage recoil with the grip on, or off? Thank you.

Have not bought the grenade launcher, yet.;)

Recoil management is more about how you position your body behind the shotgun. For me, I see no difference from a standard forearm grip or a VFG grip.

To see some ideas about grips, stance, recoil management, etc get the Magpul Dynamics video called "The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun". The video shows use with various types of grips.