Definitive M4 Lube Guide

NHnewbie

I am looking for a detailed guide to lubing the M4 along the lines of SD's photo essays on trigger group assembly etc (lots of detailed photos or a video). Have searched this forum, utube, and looked at the mil manual, but these are pretty vague when it comes to exactly what and where to apply lube. Any pointers/links?

I'm afraid you may not find a detailed guide for lubrication. The driving reason is that such specifics are not needed. Lubricate all moving, or contact, parts. The exception are the gas pistons. Lubricated this area can result in very high pressures due to hydraulic properties of the oil. The choke threads will be coated with choke grease or anti-seize compound.

Or you can just slather it in motor oil. Werks for me :)

I'm afraid you may not find a detailed guide for lubrication. The driving reason is that such specifics are not needed. Lubricate all moving, or contact, parts. The exception are the gas pistons. Lubricated this area can result in very high pressures due to hydraulic properties of the oil. The choke threads will be coated with choke grease or anti-seize compound.

Or you can just slather it in motor oil. Werks for me :)

I'm not sure if you're saying not to lubricate the gas pistons at all or just not with the motor oil you're using, but I shoot my M4 at least once a week, usually I lube the gas pistons with the Benelli lube that came with the gun and the rest with CLP. This last time I took it out I didn't lube the gas pistons at all, just forgot to. It fired the first 50 or so fine, then every few rounds wouldn't cycle. I took it apart and everything looked fine except both gas pistons were covered with carbon build up. I cleaned and lubricated them, reassembled, and it shot fine the rest of the day.

The carbon on the pistons is like the carbon on an AR bolt. The carbon build-up is self limiting.

If you must clean them to "factory fresh" remove them and soak overnight in MotorCraft Carburetor Cleaner.

Get it from the parts counter at your dealer, it is liquid, in a can not in aerosol form.