Installing the Briley Carbon Fiber Mag Tube

GTTom

1 hour ago, Kyuss said:

After buying the Briley carbon fiber mag tube I had this problem as well.  I cut the spring a couple times, but still couldn't get it where I wanted it.  I ended up buying a spring from Carriercomp and it worked perfect, no cutting.  

with the briley CF, wolff spring and FFT follower..I have no problem fitting 7 rounds

• 4 months later...

A couple install notes since I’ve been putting a bunch of these together lately. 

Don’t use thread locker on the receiver when using a carbon fiber magazine tube. If you ever need to remove the tube, you’ll need heat and the heat will break the bond between the stainless threaded end near the receiver and the carbon fiber wrapped central tube portion. 

Revisions have been made to the Briley follower. I had a unit made around March that did not seem to be chamfered at all. So the leading edge of the follower was like a 90 degree angle. This would easily hang up on the transition point inside the magazine tube where the stainless threaded end and the carbon fiber tube meet. This small lip was enough to cause malfunction that took me a while to isolate to the follower being the problem. The failure was the last round did not eject onto the carrier with enough authority. The round would hang up at the front of the carrier on the receiver and would not be able to lift it up to load. This kind of failure is akin to a weak spring or one that has a lot of debris inside the magazine tube. 

When you get your carbon fiber magazine tube, make sure it is the correct length. I stumbled across one that was about two inches too short. I didn’t notice until I went to seat the barrel. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...