Aftermarket black coating for barrel & mag tube?

Pack Rat

Hey folks. I was wondering if anybody had a m4 barrel coated? If so what did you go with? How’s it holding up? etc I’m thinking about sending the barrel and a mag tube in to get rid of the parkerized crap finish that’s getting rusty (not pitted) in a few spots. The mag tube will be coated for aesthetics only. I’m thinking armorlube might be a good choice (maybe a bit overkill) if it can adhere to the titanium mag tube. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated. 

Edited by Pack Rat

I don't hunt near saltwater or brackish water, but I've had my SBE since '94 or '95 and hunt a lot of ducks and geese with them where they are exposed to the wet and cold. No rust issues. Once I get back home, I do try to wipe them off if they got wet. How new is the one you are experiencing this issue with?

I think many people here will suggest Cerakote or, if the budget will allow it, NP3 finish. Both are great options but I too would suggest NP3 if one can afford it. You shouldn't ever have issues again with it.

It’s about 11 years old at this point so it did take a while to oxidize.NP3 isn’t what I’m looking for in a coating. I do understand it’s corrosion prevention effect to certain degree but the H20 conversion is something that doesn’t interest me (especially the cost and wait time to get it back). 

I was told last year the tank wasn’t large enough to do the Benelli M4 barrels in Armorlube. 

I’d probably just have the parts Cerakoted in carbon black. Avoid the threaded parts of the magazine tube and the interior. Avoid the chrome barrel extension, seat ring which seats against the face if the receiver, and gas piston channels. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

I was told last year the tank wasn’t large enough to do the Benelli M4 barrels in Armorlube. 

I’d probably just have the parts Cerakoted in carbon black. Avoid the threaded parts of the magazine tube and the interior. Avoid the chrome barrel extension, seat ring which seats against the face if the receiver, and gas piston channels. 

I thought about cerakote but wanted to go w something harder for the exteriors only. Armorloob claim to have another coating that’s superior to (and specifically meant to replace hard chrome) not sure how that would work out on a shotgun though.  I reached out to their Michigan affiliate/dealer but have yet to hear a response.

• 2 weeks later...

Cerakote when properly applied is an amazingly durable finish. It's also very thin, so thin that the coating does not obliterate even the finest markings and engravings. There is no fit  problem with the coating on the threads of mag tubes, for example.

Joe