Sling for M4 with QD

SuzukiGS750EZ

I think I may go with the Magpul MS1 with QD. I have a Mesa Urbino stock on the gun and a Midwest Industries M Lok handguard. I think I’ll do a Noveske M Lok QD up front and a Noveske flush mount in the rear (drill and install). My question is…

I'm a right handed shooter… what size do I install the sling and QD points on? Also, I’ll have a two point sling so… where on the stock should I put the rear attachment point? In the center? Top? Bottom?

are there any better slings with QD for the price ($75)?

• Upvote 1

Now, this is all my opinion and to be honest you ask 20 people this question you will probably get 20 different answers. The way I set up my sling as a right-hand shooter is one contact on the left side of the weapon typically at the midway point or closer to the receiver and the other contact point at the midway point on the right side of the stock. For my rifle, I have a QD connection on the buffer tube plate so it's kind of on the bottom I guess you could say, but I like that because I will transition from double to single point if doing certain tasks so having it there works great for me. I have trained and practiced with this setup along with trying it in different ways and this way works best for me. I would say for you to take your gear out somewhere where you can practice transitions and movement with different sling points and see what works best for you. Once you find the most comfortable natural spots then train that way and be consistent.

As for slings, I only use two and that is the Magpul MS4 Dual QD and the Blue Force Gear Vickers non-padded sling. I have tried others but they did not fit me right and other little things are personal. Both I believe fall within your price range. My biggest advice to you is to practice with different setups and find what fits you then go out into the field and do some different drills to see how well that works when actually shooting. Others may have better thoughts than I do on this subject, but I figure I throw my two cents in and maybe help you along the way. A lot of very experienced and smart men on this forum who might have better tips for you. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

Now, this is all my opinion and to be honest you ask 20 people this question you will probably get 20 different answers. The way I set up my sling as a right-hand shooter is one contact on the left side of the weapon typically at the midway point or closer to the receiver and the other contact point at the midway point on the right side of the stock. For my rifle, I have a QD connection on the buffer tube plate so it's kind of on the bottom I guess you could say, but I like that because I will transition from double to single point if doing certain tasks so having it there works great for me. I have trained and practiced with this setup along with trying it in different ways and this way works best for me. I would say for you to take your gear out somewhere where you can practice transitions and movement with different sling points and see what works best for you. Once you find the most comfortable natural spots then train that way and be consistent.

As for slings, I only use two and that is the Magpul MS4 Dual QD and the Blue Force Gear Vickers non-padded sling. I have tried others but they did not fit me right and other little things are personal. Both I believe fall within your price range. My biggest advice to you is to practice with different setups and find what fits you then go out into the field and do some different drills to see how well that works when actually shooting. Others may have better thoughts than I do on this subject, but I figure I throw my two cents in and maybe help you along the way. A lot of very experienced and smart men on this forum who might have better tips for you. Hope this helps.

Thank you. After reading that, I think I’m going to try a magpul ms1 padded sling and get a standard GI swivel for 1 1/4” strap and attach that to the bottom of my m Lok rail. On the back of my urbino I’ll use the type of adapter that was supplied with the stock (the bottom hole) and see how that goes. I really only want the sling for walking into the woods and when transitioning to pistol. I’m not too particular. My bow has a sling that I get by with and it’s nothing fancy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Thank you. After reading that, I think I’m going to try a magpul ms1 padded sling and get a standard GI swivel for 1 1/4” strap and attach that to the bottom of my m Lok rail. On the back of my urbino I’ll use the type of adapter that was supplied with the stock (the bottom hole) and see how that goes. I really only want the sling for walking into the woods and when transitioning to pistol. I’m not too particular. My bow has a sling that I get by with and it’s nothing fancy.

Yeah for sure. Give it a try and see how you like it and how it feels. Let us know how it goes for you, your experience can help others trying to make the same decisions. 

• Like 1

Agree that you can get a million pieces of advice for this question. I run a standard MS1, just personal choice but I will not ever run a one point sling on a shotgun so I didn't need a MS4. As right hand shooter I typically do front connection on left side of gun, rear is on the right side. 

For some reason on my M4 it was more comfortable to run both connection points for front and back on the left side. I have a 1301 as well so I didn't mind my M4 build being a little more on the heavy side so I think it's more a balance & LOP situation. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a MagPul MS3 with a front QD and just plain strap on the back and put it on a 11723.  It’s amazing.  I removed the crappy female QD that came with the gun and added the three rails on the new forearm and put a female QD on the left rail piece.  And then I just threaded the strap around the base of the new collapsible stock.  I’m a right handed shooter and put my left arm through the sling and have it rest on my right shoulder.  A simple adjustment allows me to carry the M4 (in entry configuration) across my chest in a port arms type style with the muzzle facing down.  I can quickly and easily bring the M4 to firing position - and if I’ve set the tension on the sling just right, I can rest the sling on my left arm to increase stability of the shooting position.

This worked so well when I was at the range today I stopped at a LGS and picked up two more of them for other guns.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had previously ordered a Vicker's Blue Force sling in the same kind of configuration as I listed above (QD on one end, open strap on the other).  It was back ordered back ordered back ordered.  It showed up yesterday.  Functionally I'd exactly like the MagPul MS3.  The quality of the MagPul and ease of adjustment on the sliding part of the sling? The MagPul is 100x better than the Vicker's sling.  I'm sure I'll find some use for the Vickers sling, but do yourself a favor and just go get a MagPul sling.

• Upvote 1