M4 Field Stock Install

Diesel79

I just purchased a M4 field stock from MGW and they state I also needed a new swivel plate as well.  

Do I need to remove all of the parts from the inside of existing PG stock and reinstall in the field stock, or does this sling plate just slide into the slot and you twist the stock on the receiver?  Looks like several washers, bolt, nut etc inside the stock   

Are you saying that your new field stock came with all the guts disassembled from the stock?

I have never seen a Benelli OEM stock that did not come from the factory fully assembled with butt pad and sling plate already installed.

All you should have to do is remove the trigger group from the receiver then unscrew the existing stock and screw on the replacement stock to the extension. Just like that.

Edited by Evolution
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Evolution said:

Are you saying that your new field stock came with all the guts disassembled from the stock?

I have never seen a Benelli OEM stock that did not come from the factory fully assembled with butt pad and sling plate already installed.

All you should have to do is remove the trigger group from the receiver then unscrew the existing stock and screw on the replacement stock to the extension. Just like that.

It hasn’t arrived yet so don’t know for sure what’s coming.  It is an OEM Benelli field stock.  On the MGW website I ordered from,  it says you need the purchase the sling plate as well so I was confused.  All the videos I’ve watched are simple twist off twist in install.  

I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what shows up. 

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/81041

1 hour ago, NCswamp13 said:

I'd be a little surprised if it didn't come with all the hardware. I can't remember if mine came with the sling plate itself, but it definitely came with the rest. Hope these vids help show you what's inside the field stock.

Thanks!  Very helpful.  Mine is supposed to deliver Friday so hopefully get them swapped out right away. 

I ordered a field stock from MGW a few years ago and remember being confused also about that note on their description. The stock did come complete of course. I returned it because it looked used somehow, and reordered another from benelli parts.net. Good luck with your order I love the field stock on my gun. 

• Upvote 1

Just delivered.  It came fully assembled and the extra sling plate is not needed.  MGW should really update their site.

I like this stock a lot more.  

I don’t think my Vortex razor red dot is gonna work anymore, at least not on this factory mount.  Seems to sit too high.  I could make it work on the PG stock but not sure on this one. Need to get outside and do some shooting. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b5da6efaf640b40e8621da78dd57a89f.jpeg

Edited by Diesel79
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Diesel79 said:

Just delivered.  It came fully assembled and the extra sling plate is not needed.  MGW should really update their site.

I don’t think my Vortex razor red dot is gonna work anymore, at least not on this factory mount.  Seems to sit too high.  I could make it work on the PG stock but not sure on this one. Need to get outside and do some shooting. 

Which version of Streamlight is that? How are you liking it? I was going to get the Green laser and light version of it but would like to get someone's experience who has had it on their M4.

12 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Which version of Streamlight is that? How are you liking it? I was going to get the Green laser and light version of it but would like to get someone's experience who has had it on their M4.

It is the TLR RM2.  I really like it.  With the IWC amount with their picatinny section it puts the activation pad in the perfect spot.  It’s a rubber pad button vs a rocker switch. The light works great at 12 o’clock on an AR too  

It’s definitely a spill type of light vs throw so great for HD set up.  

Edited by Diesel79
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Diesel79 said:

It is the TLR RM2.  I really like it.  With the IWC amount with their picatinny section it puts the activation pad in the perfect spot.  The light works great at 12 o’clock on an AR too  

It’s definitely a spill type of light vs throw so great for HD set up.  

How well does it hold up to the recoil of the M4? 

3 hours ago, Diesel79 said:

I'm curious as to why they supply an additional sling plate. Do they both accommodate a 1" sling? Or is one for a 1" and the other will fit a 1-1/4" sling?

That is one reason why I changed both of mine to the NOVESKE QD plate.....the OEM plate limits you to using a 1" sling. Or at least that used to be how they came from the factory.

Edited by Evolution
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Evolution said:

I'm curious as to why they supply an additional sling plate. Do they both accommodate a 1" sling? Or is one for a 1" and the other will fit a 1-1/4" sling?

That is one reason why I changed both of mine to the NOVESKE QD plate.....the OEM plate limits you to using a 1" sling. Or at least that used to be how they came from the factory.

It’s not necessarily supplied with the stock. MGW states it’s needed for the install and it is to be purchased separately. 
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/81041

The stock arrives in a Benelli box fully assembled and there is another separate part in the shipping box that you purchase that is not needed. 

Edited by Diesel79

On 1/22/2024 at 5:14 PM, Diesel79 said:

What footprint does the vortex have? If you could get it mounted to a scalarworks sync, I think it would solve the height problem.

16 minutes ago, NCswamp13 said:

What footprint does the vortex have? If you could get it mounted to a scalarworks sync, I think it would solve the height problem.

It’s a goofy one called C-More.  I don’t think anyone uses it.  Kind of dumb.  
After shouldering it many many times, I think it will be doable.  I just have to have my head in a slightly more upright position.  Was thinking about this ADM mount but I don’t think it will be any lower than the factory one.  

https://www.admmfg.com/cvrd-low-mount

I might get a Scalarworks set up eventually.  I just bought a couple new MOS Glocks and 2 Acro P2’s with FCD mounting plates so my wallet is still smoldering. 

Edited by Diesel79
  • Upvote 1