M4 LE 11733 can I shoot slug ammo

x143x

I have a new M4 LE 11733 shotgun with the NO ADJUSTABLE CHOKE … I want to purchase some Winchester Defender Ammo which has the one slug and 3 pellets. I’ve heard you should not shoot slugs with the adjustable choke versions of the M4 but for mine, which is not adjustable, is it ok to shoot? 

It isn't a matter of fixed choke versus screw-in chokes, it is the constriction of the choke that can cause issues with slugs. Most slugs recommend cylinder or improved cylinder chokes with their slugs. Your 11733 shows it has a fixed modified choke. That is the absolutely tightest choke I'd ever shoot a slug through personally, but I generally would use the CYL or IC chokes mentioned above. I haven't used a rifled choke for years however after I bought a rifled slug barrel for my Benelli SBE.

I think this is the ammo you are talking about. Normally they list a max (or tightest) choke recommendation, but they don't on their site. https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Defender/S12PDX1
You might actually want to look around at the reviews before you consider that ammo as many people say it is just a gimmick. I won't link those here, but they are easy to find with a quick search so you can make your own informed decision.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I don't recommend that ammo either. I bought a bunch of it and it shot like crap. Stick with either slug or buck. I would recommend Ddupleks for slugs. you can safely shoot those slug rounds all the way up to a full choke with no problems. But again, this goes back to all the choke questions, which I also had a bunch,and there are tons of post on this topic if you search this forum for it. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 2

Fixed choke? Fire away to your hearts content.

Honestly...  I've fired slugs through Xtra-Full Turkey chokes. Shot like crap, wouldn't do it a lot, but hurt nothing. I'm not telling you to do that, they were thick wall, extreme long chokes with lots of thread and along gradual tapper. Shorter thinner ones might not take it as well.

My experience is what choke shoots best varies gun to gun, slug brand/type to slug type.  I've had them that shot open best. Some preferred Mod, Light Mod. I have my Grandfather's Browning A5 with a fixed full choke and it shoots slugs amazing. (that's what he used it for)  The old axiom "Every gun is a law unto itself" really shows through when it comes to shooting slugs.

It will be fine but not ideal. I shoot slugs more than anything else so I keep an IC choke in my LE M4. It's too bad they decided to make the Gen2 LE versions all fixed modified chokes.

Posted (edited)

Benelli USA website:

Which chokes are recommended for slugs?

These chokes are recommended for slugs:

• 4 notches = Improved cylinder
  • 5 notches = Cylinder

A cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth-bore barrel. Sabot slugs should only be shot through our fully-rifled slug barrels.

It is not safe to shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here.

———————————

I had similar question as my M4 T Pro came with Modified Choke. So I updated it to IC just to be sure. 

Edited by CEBEP
  • Upvote 1