My Pattern

sdkidaho

That is just with open sights, from a seated position. I don't have a rifle sled or anything like that, so I just sat down on my turkey seat that I hunt with and shot from the same position I expect I'll be in while hunting. The target is a 13" circle.

Not too bad for lead 5's at 40.

The Feds appear to be hitting low.

The Wins look a bit thin. That 76 is not so great.

I'd try the Win XR 6's to get more pellets that hit as hard, if not harder, than lead 5's.

I was putting 180-220 XR 6's and Fed HW 7's in the ring at 40 yards all day today.

Are these the Win XR 6's that you are talking about? I don't think I've seen those while I was looking for turkey loads. Pretty sure I would have noticed shells that were $55 per box. :eek:

Yes. They are the best shells that work in my SBE II. They have been out for several years.

5-6 states, tags, trespass fees, 20-25 hunts, flights, rental cars, hotels, $1500 shotguns, etc. I spend $100 on each trip to the patterning board.

Does $55 for ten great shells ($29 at Bass Pro - $40 at high dealer) even phase me :confused: You gotta be kidding......

Yes. They are the best shells that work in my SBE II. They have been out for several years.

5-6 states, tags, trespass fees, 20-25 hunts, flights, rental cars, hotels, $1500 shotguns, etc. I spend $100 on each trip to the patterning board.

Does $55 for ten great shells ($29 at Bass Pro - $40 at high dealer) even phase me :confused: You gotta be kidding......

$29 is up there, but I could swallow that much I suppose. I've just never paid that kind of money for shells.

Mud, what do you do for a living? That would be nice to be able to do all that just for turkeys. Of course I'd spend it all on waterfowl.

Does it matter?

We all are free to make choices in life.

I drive a Subaru. My friends drive $40,000 monster trucks. I have no children. No cable TV (saves about $1000/yr). I have spent many nights sleeping in a rental car before an early hunt. I've eaten many meals of 12 hour old pizza at Casey's.

I kill birds on private land, mostly trespass hunts. I kill many birds on public land out of state. I select states with cheap tags and/or over the counter tags.

There's lots of ways to skin a turkey :)

I spend a pretty good sum on a waterfowl lease as well.

I choose to hunt as much as possible before I take my last dirt nap....

3.5" only.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably go see if I can round some up to try out.

Does it matter?

I don't think it necessarily matters, though the reason I believe he asked is that Jr. is a young fellow, still in school and living at home, and it sounded like you were doing well, and so I assume he wanted to know as he's getting old enough to start thinking about some of those life choices. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I go to the Bass Pro in Gurnee to. Got to tell my dad to pic up a box before all you guys buy them before me. Today on the way to my volleyball game we passed by a small corn field and saw a big tom messing around with two hens. Beautful sight. Made me even more excited for the season.

By the way, when does your guys's turkey season begin?