how about this for a M11707 SBS?

d

We have all read that 14" barrels are impossable to come by. I have photoshoped what I think may be a solution. The difficultys associated with converting a standard barrel to a short barrel includes moving the forend fastening ring (as well as the sights.)

My thought is: what if the barrel was cut just forward of the barrel guide ring, then cut and re-thread the (standard) mag tube, move the sight, and if desired, have the barrel cut for a choke. by my measurments the firearm would still hold 4+1+1. Any comments on this?

m11707SBSTHEORY.jpg

vs. factory

177xbena.jpg

I bought an actual gun that was a factory short barrel. I am taking the barrel and putting it on my registered receiver, then cancelling the class 3 on the other gun, so I can take possession of it. I wanted 2 Benelli's anyway. As far as I know, a barrel by itself still aren't available.

I bought an actual gun that was a factory short barrel. I am taking the barrel and putting it on my registered receiver, then cancelling the class 3 on the other gun, so I can take possession of it. I wanted 2 Benelli's anyway. As far as I know, a barrel by itself still aren't available.

Very clever Sir!

good to know HDRDKG I live in the cali so I dont think I can apply for the stamp and pay the $$ cause of the ban! :(.. but I have to say I see alot of "assault weapons" at ranges and I know my weapons and I dont think they were bought before cali's ban! lol , but when I move states I will most deff turn my M4 into a SBS .. how is the recoil on yours?

Hey guys, There really is no FACTORY short barrels. All Benelli short barrels are cut down from regular length ones by Benelli gunsmiths here in the US. The ATF will not allow italy to ship in short barrels. I called Benelli to try and get a cut down barrel and they refered me to Beretta defense and I have not been able to get a response from them yet. If this fails I will get Briley Mfc. to do it. I think I'm looking at about 400.00 + 200.00 tax stamp. Pretty spendy to give up 2 shots, so I'm not sure it's worth it, particularly in lieu of the fact I have to get another regular length barrel so I can switch back and forth.

What is the contact information for Briley Mfc.? Or does anyone else have any experiance with anyone that could cut my barrel down? Thanks JM

Hey guys, There really is no FACTORY short barrels. All Benelli short barrels are cut down from regular length ones by Benelli gunsmiths here in the US. The ATF will not allow italy to ship in short barrels. I called Benelli to try and get a cut down barrel and they refered me to Beretta defense and I have not been able to get a response from them yet. If this fails I will get Briley Mfc. to do it. I think I'm looking at about 400.00 + 200.00 tax stamp. Pretty spendy to give up 2 shots, so I'm not sure it's worth it, particularly in lieu of the fact I have to get another regular length barrel so I can switch back and forth.

You are right on the 14" barrels. They are cut here in the US to 14", but the front sight and barrel locking collar are in the correct area prior to being shipped to the US. All Benelli does is cut the barrel and refinish it.

Dude, your one erudite son of a gun. It looks like it might be easier to do the Israeli SF SBS. What is the capacity with this gun? It looks like 4 in the mag? How many inches is the barrel? Will it hold up without a locking collar? One bad thing though is your going to lose a lot of velocity!

:confused: First we have people trying to figure out how to make it legal to put a full length mag tube with a collabsible, pistol grip stock, now we have people trying to figure out how to make the same gun smaller. So it will hold less, have less velocity, and you'll have to register it as an SBS. Why not get a 45 semi-auto pistol for really close quarters, and keep your M4 the way it is? It would cost less to get the 45 then to get 2 barrels, one cut and resighted, plus the registry. Just my .02

: now we have people trying to figure out how to make the same gun smaller. So it will hold less, Just my .02

You are right sir, we need someone to manufacture a twenty round drum mag for the entry version.

In all seriousness it is not about the money, it is just something to do.

four inches would not make much of a difference (to me) but the measuring and mock-up I did in the begining of the post would make an 11" barrel. That would be interesting. Who makes the 11 round drum? regards-d