M4 > loose choke and surefire forend

Fett Tracking

Hello folks.

Two things... First is My modified choke comes loose every time I shoot slugs and buckshot out of me shotty. What color/strength locktite would you all reccomend to keep that sucker in there? Or should I just get and IC choke instead of the M?

Secondly. Surefire's website has no info on the forend...where can I get one?

Thanks all!

-Fett

You can order direct from Surefire for about $235 delivered.

However, I was at Turner's the other day and they had them in stock for $199.

I would have bought one there, but I preordered one from Surefire, which I've received. I was a tad miffed that I saw that Turners had one on display before I received mine from Surefire! :mad:

Hopefully some other members like M1014, tucker, d can help, but here are my thoughts regarding your choke in the meantime:

For starters, does it screw in normally? Sit tight when all the way down? Just want to make sure the threads are clean and not stripped. Second, does this occur with any buckshot or only the big balls (OOO, OO etc) I have been taught that slugs should be shot with IC or Cylinder choke, not Mod, but others have shot with Mod on this platform (M4) without problem. The same goes for the fat buckshot (again, my rulebook). I shoot #4 buckshot for home defense without a problem. Do you notice alot of leading on the tube? You may consider trying different brands and if still the same issue, then go to a wider choke & see. I would NOT put locktite of anysort on choke tube threads. Stuck choke tubes can be pretty bad.

Is it with a certain brand or all slugs? How accurate are these slugs? If these slugs do not group well at 40-50 yards, then the constriction may be too tight and the IC choke may be your answer as you suggested. This is probably why I was taught to use a wider choke. (to confound this is the fact that others on this forum have used slugs with MOD choke no problemo)I have only used Brenneke slugs as they are inexpensive but accurate. And I only have used CYL choke with them.

Clean the threads of your barrel threads with the other end of your choke tool. You just screw it in all the way. Clean the choke with brake cleaner and then lube it lightly. Then crank down your choke tight- not as hard as you can, but pretty tight. A little harder than you would crank down on a spark plug. It shouldn't shoot loose for awhile, but you DO need to check it while shooting. Sometimes mod works for slugs in some guns and with some brands, but usually an IC or SKEET works better. A CYL. choke will be good only for close entry type scenarios, i.e., your typical home protection type deal, unless your using the flight control wad ammo and then you get tight groups no matter what the choke. The best slugs are the Federal Tru-Ball slugs in a smooth non rifled bore. They also make rifled choke tubes as well so you can shoot sabot slugs with your M4. Hope this helps.

You can order direct from Surefire for about $235 delivered.

However, I was at Turner's the other day and they had them in stock for $199.

I would have bought one there, but I preordered one from Surefire, which I've received. I was a tad miffed that I saw that Turners had one on display before I received mine from Surefire! :mad:

The Turner's in Orange has a Surefire Foreend for the M4 for $199, but the model # was M73 which is for a Colt M4 carbine.

• 4 weeks later...