New R1 30-06 not what I expected.

Dirtnap

Went out tonight and shot the R1 from the bench. Tried 180s,165,150s, and I can shoot better groups with my SBE II at 100yds with punkin ball slugs.:mad: Anyone have any ideas to make this thing shoot? It has a 3.5x10 leupold on it in weaver rings on the factory base. It looked like the cross hairs were always on the target in the right place.Or am I expecting too much? I think 4" at 100yds is alittle much for a $1200.00 rifle.

Thanks in advance

Dirtnap

1. What kinds of groups are you able to shoot with other rifles?

2. What brand(s) ammunition have you tried?

3. Have you cleaned the gun and checked the barrel nut for proper torque?

4. Have you put the barrel through a shoot/clean/shoot/clean break-in process?

5. Have you checked the base and ring mounts for proper torques?

6. Did you lapp the rings?

7. Did you level the scope to the rifle?

8. In your opinion, what kinds of groups should a $1,200 semi-automatic hunting rifle shoot?

9. What are you using for a rest?

10. Are you subject to flinching? Have you been blind tested to be sure?

1 my 243 1/2" my 7mm-08 1/2 both bolt action

2 Fed 180,Win 150grPP,Rem 165 sp

3 Yes

4 yes

5 yes

6 no

7 no

8 1 1/2" to 2"

9 Hart front, bag rear

10 Not sure the thing don't kick that hard

The rifle may be rolling in the rest on recoil I can see the impact in the scope on the 200yd berm.

Thank you taking the time to try to help. I like the feel and the way the gun shoots but 4" and 5" groups at 100yds seems a bit much. My SBE II shotgun smooth bore will shoot this good. Just got to work it out.

Dirtnap

2 things that I did to improve groups.

#1 had the trigger worked!!!!!

#2 make sure that the barrel nut is tightened all the way down.

I use Federal Premium 180 grain Barnes TSX, when my rifle is zeroed with these and I shot remington fusions I can't even put them on the paper. Load the TSXs back up and back to less than MOA. Try a box of these.

Have someone try it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

shoud shoot 1 inch at 100yd for $1200.00 alot of these guys get touchy about benelli when you ask a question. Check nut at sling mine comes loose alot. Semi autos are picky try 168gr like winchester and try as many differ ammo you can afford. I shoot 3/4 in at 100yd with a rem 7400 STOCK out of box with 165gr. If you reload you may get even better. I can't get past the creep in the trigger on my R1 like a 10/22 ruger I am not to happy with mine but you sure can't get what you paid out of it on resale. I don't know I may try sending mine back to factory. good luck

O yeh I got a Vinci 12 ga I LOVE THAT GUN!!!

• 11 months later...
Went out tonight and shot the R1 from the bench. Tried 180s,165,150s, and I can shoot better groups with my SBE II at 100yds with punkin ball slugs.:mad: Anyone have any ideas to make this thing shoot? It has a 3.5x10 leupold on it in weaver rings on the factory base. It looked like the cross hairs were always on the target in the right place.Or am I expecting too much? I think 4" at 100yds is alittle much for a $1200.00 rifle.

Thanks in advance

Dirtnap

you may need to jb bore it to smooth the riflings