Strut Stopper Xtreme in SBE II + Win XR's

mudhen

Well, I was able to get the SSX choke to fit in my SBE II, barely. No thanks to Tru-Glo who did not return my e-mail or faxed message.

I only grade chokes on 40 yard patterns. Every choke I have ever bought can kill out to 30 yards. In

I shot from a set of shooting sticks, sitting on my normal turkey seat. I used the same POA as in the field, where the neck feathers meet the bare skin on the neck. This allows me to watch the bird's head all the way up to the shot.

I had one good hit, but then the rest were all pretty much the same. All shots were Winchester Xtended Range 3.5" #6's:

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

The best was 137 hits in the 10" circle, followed by 77, 76, and 58. All decent hits, but not what I was expecting.

Mudhen, what other loads are you considering testing with your setup?

I tried XR 5's and got 50 hits in the 10". Actually 50 hits of XR 5's will probably kill well past 40 yards. I tried Wingmaster HD 6's and got a poor pattern. I might try some H-13 6's. I'm not going to spend much more time on the SSX unless someone can let me know about a magic combination :)

This tube mystefies me a bit. If you are able,try some "cheap" loads like Kent Ultimate #6 and Rem Nitro #6. These loads didn't set the world on fire,but were pretty impressive to around 40yds +/-. My dream was always to find a tube that made affordable shells shoot like premium ones,but the quest continues I guess.My Supernova loves this tube,but my autoloader doesn't.

Mudhen ,look at your pattern for the SSX again,looks like there may be a lil bit of change in POI ,from the Jellyhead tube.Might just be me but it looks like alot of your pattern hit a lil bit higher with the SSX than the Jellyhead.

Yes, the SSX does appear to hit a bit higher than the Jellyhead, but it did have one decent pattern. I think it's more that the SSX prints a bit higher and to the right. It may have something to do with the poor fit of the SSX in my SBE II. I will mentally adjust the POA a bit to accomodate a choke's POI, but given that I have maybe 7-8 chokes that all hit right where I want them to, I really have no desire to monkey with the SSX's internal preferences. Also, I have no desire to install one of those silly sights to correct a POA POI issue. I need a gun to hit where I want it to without too much Kentucky windage.

I get a different POI in a couple of different shells,but as i recall my change is due to velocity.The ones I remember having a big difference is between the Win XR's and the Hevi-13.There is a velocity difference of 135 -150 fps according to the manufacturers.

H-13 is sure some slow stuff at 1090 fps, but it just whaps the heck out of the board and the birds. I've got tons on 1.75 oz H-13 and a few of the 2.25 oz loads. I might test those before the season starts.

i'd keep shooting the jellyhead if you are going to stick to those win xr's!

my take on these patterns you posted in the ssx is too tight....i'll bet it patterns 7-1/2's, 8's or even 9's beautifully....but that's a card shooter set up not a turkey setup!

I axed and axed, but I was told that the .643 SSX was not a card shooting choke :(

I hear that EM might consider HS #7's, but not this year.

I axed and axed, but I was told that the .643 SSX was not a card shooting choke :(

I hear that EM might consider HS #7's, but not this year.

i'm waiting on a case of EM's new 10GA #5's in Hevi-13....the dealer said they would not be available until mid-late march!?!? i hope they come earlier....but i can always use my "reloads" if they don't!

personally, i consider anything under .645" a "card shooter" but i ain't no card shooter so what the heck do i know?!?! i just won't shoot anything tighter than .655" with shot size #6....i'd would reach for 7-1/2's or smaller if i do....i have a .640 tube in a hastings wadlock/paradox barrel on an A5 Mag12 and that is a wicked patterning rig with 7-1/2" nickle plated lead, but i've only shot turkey's with that combo inside 25yds!

finally, when i pattern i average my number of pellets inside a 10" diameter over a minimum of 5 shots of any particular load....so the ssx is posting an average of 87 pellets in 10". The JellyHead (.660"?) is more consistant with the same load so i'm thinking an even more open choke might pattern better than either the Jelly or the SSX...have you tried a .675 or .680 yet with the XR #6's?