Question for the group

Kevian

IMO. It depends of the kind of hunting that someone does. It's difficult to hunt birds or some other fast game and use a shotgun with a pistol grip. The pistol grip makes you slow especially when, from the rest position you come in a second to the aim, shoot position. The pistol grip is better for hunting static game and for a more precise shooting.

IMO. It depends of the kind of hunting that someone does. It's difficult to hunt birds or some other fast game and use a shotgun with a pistol grip. The pistol grip makes you slow especially when, from the rest position you come in a second to the aim, shoot position. The pistol grip is better for hunting static game and for a more precise shooting.

I hear a lot of people say that but I just don't find that to be true in my case. I suppose it may be true for a large percentage of the gun owners out there but having carried a pistol gripped weapon(M-16 series-M4) most of my adult life (and used it in its intended environment), I find I can drive a pistol gripped shotgun as fast as those who use normal stocks.

I suppose like most things, this goes back to an individuals training and what they are familiar with. With that said, I absolutely think that anyone can become as proficient with a PG shotgun as most people are with non PG shotguns if they train with one.

Thanks for the responses so far. I think LouDiamond is probably right in that it's what you train and feel comfortable with. However, if I ever wanted to sell a shotgun with a PG, I imagine my prospective buyers would be fewer if I were trying to sell a PG stock as opposed to a "conventional" stock. If for no other reason than perception.

Also, from what I've read on this forum, it's more difficult to clean the Supernova with PG because you have to remove (or loosen) the PG stock to clean the trigger assembly. The Comfortech stock does not require this operation. Is this really a big issue as far as saving time or are most people simply pointing this out because the owner's manual didn't mention it?

For those reasons, I'm leaning toward purchasing the Comfortech stock on a Supernova Tactical as my first shotgun purchase.

For me, it's two reasons for not using a pistol grip as I prefer a straight English style stock. For long periods of working fields and woods for Quail and Grouse, the pistol grip would be very uncomfortable for just carrying my shotgun. Secondly, for those sudden and wild flushes of birds, the pistol grip would be cumbersome. With the straight English stock, when the bird flushes, my hand slides up to the trigger as I'm mounting the shotgun and then I'm ready to shoot.

Hey Kevian,

Loosening the pg stock on a supernova doesnt take much time, it's just that now you need tools to field strip. Kinda lame, but really not a big deal.

And for the record, the manual for the supernova does tell all about the need for loosening the grip to strip it. Mine does anyway. Maybe an older version didn't...

xto