M1 Super 90 for homedefense

SHusky57

I generally switch out home-defense weapons every few months (partly to save on magazine spring wear, sometimes for novelty).

I always keep the magazine loaded, but never a round in the chamber for my home defense weapon, for a variety of reasons (prevent accidental/negligent discharge, cooking off in a fire), plus it doesn't take much to bring a weapon into action as long as the magazine is loaded.

I have an M1 Super 90. My question is, what is the best condition to keep it in for home defense? Currently, I have it set up where all I have to do is pull back on the bolt-handle ("charging handle", I am use to M-16s from military training), and then turn off the safety. Is this a good set-up?

My only concerns are that in the middle of the night, I might forget to turn off the safety. (Previously I had a Sig220 set up for home-defense, but I like shotguns much better. I have a double barrel which I don't want to use for a) limited ammo capacity, and b) in order for the weapon to be ready quickly, ammo has to be kept chambered. I have a Benelli Nova, but the 26" barrel is quite unwieldy in the confines of the house).

Also, does anyone have any experience with lights or rails on the M1? I am looking at the Brugger and Thomet rails to mount a TLR-2 on, or buying the Surefire grip/light, as well as adding tritium sights.

No need to switch out due to springs...springs get worn from expanding and contracting constantly, think of a car that sits there for years its fine. If your used to handling shotguns you should be familiar with the safety in other words if your going to remember to cock the bolt you should be able to remember about the safety. You could just leave safety off, you could always get a glock .45 or XD then u dont have to worry about that problem =) or actually now that i see it, go back to your 220...gotta use what your comfortable with, I hunt with a shotgun so im constantly aware of safety and have never failed to disengage it in the field while trying to fire at game. hope this helps

That's the one thing I like about my coach gun, and that I like in the mossberg series of shotguns. It's really intuitive to push the safety on top of the receiver, a little less so next to the trigger. I just like to think up various scenarios.

does anyone have experience with mounting lights on their benelli? B&T makes a quad rail, and Surefire has some lights/mounts. What's good to go with?

If you don't have any kids, I'd say to leave the tube loaded and the safety off. I think the safety is in a natural position, but you may very well forget it if you're stressed. I don't leave a round in the chamber, but I sometimes have rounds in the tube/on the lifter. I never leave the gun with the safety on.

It's personal preference, and depends on who else has access to your stuff.

Just a thought:

I got in the habit of pushing off the safety on my SuperSport for every shot when I had a "lost bird" (skeet) from the safety being pushed on in the case. It's now an automatic motion but I've practiced it a lot!

I'm sure that of you put it on, shoulder the gun and push it off and repeat 100 times, it'll become a thoughtless action.

If you don't have any kids, I'd say to leave the tube loaded and the safety off. I think the safety is in a natural position, but you may very well forget it if you're stressed. I don't leave a round in the chamber, but I sometimes have rounds in the tube/on the lifter. I never leave the gun with the safety on.

It's personal preference, and depends on who else has access to your stuff.

SAFETYS ARE MADE FOR A REASON. IF YOU CAN'T TURN THE SAFETY OFF AT ANY TIME BEFORE YOU SHOOT, YOU SHOULDN'T OWN A GUN. There is a reason why they put a safety on the seat of a riding lawnmover. YOU DISCONNECTED YOURS DIDN'T YOU. Sorry, I'm a firm believer in having your safety on until your ready to fire. It's the same thing as don't point a gun at someone or something unless your planing on shooting it. That is how people get hurt. Then its the guns fault. I know in all the time you have had on this earth you have had a problem or mishap. (or you would have the safety on.) It doesn't mean you won't have a problem later.

I say all in the tube, none in the chamber,safety on is the way to go. If your someone in my house and you here the racking a round in the chamber, you will think twice before coming up my stairs.

The biggest thing in HD or any thing, is practice. The miltary practice over and over and over. Why are world class shooters so good. Practice. You need to practice HD many times. Have a game plan, what are going to do.

KNOW YOUR GUN!!! Know how to run your gun in and out. What if it jams. Bad primer. Bolt didn't close. WHERE IS THE SAFETY!! HOW DOES THE SAFETY WORK. Don't use the (I'm nervous) as a accuse.

Don't get me wrong. Is is not a personal attack. The safety thing was my first rule to follow and safely should be on everyones minds when it comes to gun. The good people (gun owners) don't need anything else taken away from us and we don't need to give the goverment an accuse to try to take more away.

Novaking

I'm buying a glock specifically because it has no real safety.

If nobody else is touching your weapon, and there's no round in the chamber, there's no reason for the safety to be on. YMMV.

Safeties work for most people ... I never use mine unless I have a round in the chamber.

Personally, I don't leave my m4 loaded. I leave it in my closet, against the wall, bolt back, safety off. I have loose shells lined up on the shelf above it in my closet. I can grab my gun, throw a shell in and close the bolt in like 2 seconds. If I lived by myself I'd keep it loaded.

Like I said, it changes based on your living situation.

I'm buying a glock specifically because it has no real safety.

I'm not a big glock fan because your holding a single action gun with "no real safety". That is why I like wheel guns. The safety is the tigger. The round will not go off if your finger is not on the trigger. Plus, I like the longer trigger pull, gives you a little more time to think.

Novaking

SAFETYS ARE MADE FOR A REASON. IF YOU CAN'T TURN THE SAFETY OFF AT ANY TIME BEFORE YOU SHOOT, YOU SHOULDN'T OWN A GUN. There is a reason why they put a safety on the seat of a riding lawnmover. YOU DISCONNECTED YOURS DIDN'T YOU. Sorry, I'm a firm believer in having your safety on until your ready to fire. It's the same thing as don't point a gun at someone or something unless your planing on shooting it. That is how people get hurt. Then its the guns fault. I know in all the time you have had on this earth you have had a problem or mishap. (or you would have the safety on.) It doesn't mean you won't have a problem later.

I say all in the tube, none in the chamber,safety on is the way to go. If your someone in my house and you here the racking a round in the chamber, you will think twice before coming up my stairs.

The biggest thing in HD or any thing, is practice. The miltary practice over and over and over. Why are world class shooters so good. Practice. You need to practice HD many times. Have a game plan, what are going to do.

KNOW YOUR GUN!!! Know how to run your gun in and out. What if it jams. Bad primer. Bolt didn't close. WHERE IS THE SAFETY!! HOW DOES THE SAFETY WORK. Don't use the (I'm nervous) as a accuse.

Don't get me wrong. Is is not a personal attack. The safety thing was my first rule to follow and safely should be on everyones minds when it comes to gun. The good people (gun owners) don't need anything else taken away from us and we don't need to give the goverment an accuse to try to take more away.

Novaking

If you have any Glocks, Sigs, or revolvers, I will buy them from you at a greatly reduced price. They are obviously unsafe :p

Seriously though, safety off, tube full, shell on the lifter, hammer down. That is how my M4 is stored.

I'm not a big glock fan because your holding a single action gun with "no real safety". That is why I like wheel guns. The safety is the tigger. The round will not go off if your finger is not on the trigger. Plus, I like the longer trigger pull, gives you a little more time to think.

Novaking

Do you know how the Glock Safe-action pistol works?

Your comments lead me to belive that you are unfamiliar with it. Handle one sometime. Try to get it to go bang without pressing the center tab on the trigger. Go on. Try it.

Do you know how the Glock Safe-action pistol works?

Your comments lead me to belive that you are unfamiliar with it. Handle one sometime. Try to get it to go bang without pressing the center tab on the trigger. Go on. Try it.

I have a sigma smith-wesson 9mm. Same gun. The trigger in the safety. (center tab) Got it. Not dumb. I was I was talking about duncans post about the glock not having a "real safety". Go head read it for yourself. Go on. Read it.

"Duncan" commented on liking the lack of a "real safety", not a "real trigger". By real safety, I mean one that has to be turned off prior to pulling the trigger, not one that automatically turns off when the trigger is pulled.

Sorry,

Its late. Thats what I meant.

I've always been drilled in:

rule 1 - safety on until you are ready for fire.

rule 2- a gun is always "loaded", so treat it that way.

rule 3 - look at rule one and two

You said that you don't use the safety unless the gun is loaded. My first reaction is the gun is always "loaded".

I just had handguns for about 3 years now and my rules change with handguns.

rule 1- keep your finger off the trigger until your ready for fire

rule 2 - a gun is always "loaded"

And yes I know there are trap guns( and other guns) that have no safety at all. Rule change again.

ETC ETC ETC

Novaking

Sorry,

Its late. Thats what I meant.

I've always been drilled in:

rule 1 - safety on until you are ready for fire.

rule 2- a gun is always "loaded", so treat it that way.

rule 3 - look at rule one and two

You said that you don't use the safety unless the gun is loaded. My first reaction is the gun is always "loaded".

I just had handguns for about 3 years now and my rules change with handguns.

rule 1- keep your finger off the trigger until your ready for fire

rule 2 - a gun is always "loaded"

And yes I know there are trap guns( and other guns) that have no safety at all. Rule change again.

ETC ETC ETC

Novaking

There is a time and a place for everything. Hunting deer with your buddies, time for the safety. Taking your kid shooting, time for the safety.

However, going into combat, a dedicated carry/self defence weapon that doesn't have an exposed hammer or one that has a means to stop the hammer from striking the firing pin if it does, time to excercise finger-control.

YMMV