my new m1014 and legal issues, any help?

texas skeeter

alrighty then, someone here suggested registering my type of shotgun and all its componants as an SBS. if i sent off the paperwork and paid the 200$ and it was approved, would it then be legal w/ all my parts i have? i also have no desire at this time the shorten my stock 18" barrel. but would it be legal w/ current laws? thanks skeeter

Dude, you're a green youngster and you don't know any better, and you're forgiven for that. However encouraging others to willfully engage in acts of downright stupidity is unforgivable.

If the BATF wants to put the wood to you, they will. Why give them an opening? It only takes one ***hole to ruin your life.

Take for instance the David Olofson case. He's doing prison time now, and for what? Something far less egregious than some nitpicking 922r compliance. Even someone from Olympic Arms was there at his trial ready and willing to testify in David Olofson's defense (about a recall on that particular production series), yet the judge wouldn't allow it. That testimony would have exonerated David Olofson. This is only one example how overzealous g-men can turn your life upside down.

This was the same trial where a BATF agent on the stand testified that a double barrel shotgun would qualify as a 'machinegun' under some circumstances.

Don't be asinine (an inexcusable failure to excercise intelligence or sound judgment). :rolleyes:

You are technically correct, but every cop I ever shot with or talked to or sold stuff to (including an M4) never had a problem. It's just one of those things I guess.

'One of those things' is actually a combination of issues.

First of all, while there has been little if any enforcement, the law remains on the books and creates a liability for anyone not staying 'within the lines'.

But the most important aspect is where this country is headed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=77039&stc=1&d=1249614146

Have you heard about the official 'hotline' where calls can be placed to rat out people dissing Maobama's health care plan? It's the sign of things to come. Gunowners are despised even more than socialized health care malcontents. Do the math.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

I still want to know how FN imports their SLP shotgun...it has an 8 round capacity. It is obviously not meant for sporting purposes...it has police shotgun in the name!

They don't import it, it's made in South Carolina. I'm sure this is a reason why too.

Edited by BigHat

where did you see that? The only info i have seen says they are built by FN in belgium and that fnh usa is just the marketing and sales part of the branch? I have also heard some of them also have built in portugal stamped right on them

Edited by tinman1975

where did you see that? The only info i have seen says they are built by FN in belgium and that fnh usa is just the marketing and sales part of the branch? I have also heard some of them also have built in portugal stamped right on them

Let me try to find it and I'll post or give you the website. As I recall it was a discussion not unlike this one and the FN SLP wasn't "foreign." I see no way they could be circumventing rules Benelli has to live by. I almost bought an FN instead to avoid all this 922r nonsense, but couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

I'll be back.

By the way, FN in the US is far more than marketing and sales. I know the SAWs and other other military weapons they make for the US military are built in South Carolina. I used to work in USMC legislative affairs and was friends with the FN lobbyists. Shot the P90 and FiveseveN at their Fredericksburg VA facility along with their bolt-guns and 50 cal MG the Marines ended up buying for aircraft use.

Edited by BigHat

This doesn't support what I read elsewhere, shotguns not mentioned. From their website:

In the United States, FN is represented by two entities.

FNH USA, located in McLean, Virginia, is responsible for sales, marketing and business development with the U.S. military, government agencies, law enforcement and the commercial sector.

FN Manufacturing, located in Columbia, South Carolina, is the U.S. manufacturing arm of FN and is currently producing M16 rifles, M249 light machine guns, M240 medium machine guns, FN bolt-action rifles and FNP pistols. FNM is one of only three manufacturers designated by the U.S. Government as the domestic industry base for small arms production. Sharing design, engineering and manufacturing expertise with FN Herstal in Belgium, FNM’s reputation for quality and reliability is clearly demonstrated by the fact that 70% of the small arms used by U.S. Forces around the globe bear the FN name.

I'll keep looking.

Edit: From another FN board: "I emailed FNHUSA and they responded that the FN SLP is manufactured in Portugal and the USA if that helps this discussion." and

"This is probably your answer. FNH is now making the SLP in SC to comply with the 922r law. The barrel is on the list of 922r compliance parts. They are probably now using barrels that are made in the good old USA. Most shorter US made shotgun barrels are 18.5" long instead of 18".

Edited by BigHat