Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
jonesbb630

What to use for Duck?

I just bought a new SBEII Adv Max 4. I plan on hunting Duck for the first time ever. Where I hunt, it's law to shoot steel only. My question is: What is the best steel shot to hunt duck? 2.75"? 3"? 3.5"? #2? #4?

Also, what choke should I use? Modified? or???

I also want to be ready should a flock of Canada Geese show-up unexpected.

Sound advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance..:o

for ducks i prefer 3 inchers...they reach out a ways and if by chance some geese sneak up on ya you are ready for that as well. 3.5 are nice for geese but really expensive and in my opinion not needed. also a number 4 shot would probably work best, but anything from bb-4 would work. good luck

There are a number of variables to be considered.

For ringnecks in open water or puddlers in swamps and timber I like 3" 4's with a modified or less choke.

For later season mallards and bigger ducks in either, 3" 2's may be better.

For geese, I like 3.5" BB's.

Where I hunt on State WMA's its mostly pass shouting with 2s. I use a Carlson extended tube, mid range which would be mod.Here the law requires 2s or bigger for geese.I use the Winchester experts 3 or 3 1/2 work fine.

I keep it simple I shoot #2's for all ducks including Seaducks, they will kill a goose as well. If I'm hunting just Geese I shoot T's.

All have given nice choices for shot, tubes, etc...my advice if you've never been duck/goose hunting before : practice, practice, practice. Find a range that will allow steel shot & get used to the new gun (not to mention breaking it in first) and firing steel shot (we all know the difference b/w lead & steel)

just my 2 cents worth...