Considering a Nova

Reggio

I can't believe Buckshot is not legal for hunting deer in Indiana!! You guys must have fired Buckshot before and seen the range and patterns it has at the different yardages..right? Its a super tight pattern and has a great range! Funny that you can't use any kind of rifle unless they use a handgun cartridge there either! Your state is limited to hunting with bows, slug guns, handguns with the legal calibers, and rifles that shoot handgun cartridges with the legal handgun calibers.

Great deer, Odd rules.

When hunting deer in Indiana, one is usually either in close proximty to A.) a dwelling, and/or B.) another hunter.

This is what nixes using a high powered rifle.

Buckshot was axed, since they thought, that a bad shot with a slug, will either miss, or do some damage somewhere. Whereas a bad shot with buckshot, could just wound the deer, which could bolt and live, or die much later, far far away.

I have heard stories where some have cut up deer and found a mystery pellet or two of buckshot.

Edited by Plowjockey

No buckshot in Wisconsin either. At least not for whitetails. It can be used for varmints though. Part of the lower portion of Wi. was shotgun/pistol/muzzle loader, forever. They changed that last year to allow center fire rifles throughout. That worked out well. No one was killed by a bullet from 17 miles away, as was the worry from a lot of the small town politicians. Much ado about nothing...

WI has a ton of remote wildneress. It was lame that they ever outlawed HP rifles, in the first place.

Good to see it repealed.

I'll tell you what' holding me back from the Benelli and making me lean toward a Moss or Rem combo - NO RIFFLED BARREL - and the more I read the more I realize that to properly take down a deer you need a rifled barrel with sabot slugs... I don't want to spend $400 additional dollars on top of the 550 for the Nova.. so I am probably not going to go with it... the accuracy is lacking otherwise... and I will target deer.

I'd someone can give me a really good reason to change my mind, feel free...

This will be reason enough for me. It's not Benelli, but it may be even better and a lot less expensive.

http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com/ShotGBarrles.htm

But like other's have stated, you can get deer with a smoothbore.

This will be reason enough for me. It's not Benelli, but it may be even better and a lot less expensive.

http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com/ShotGBarrles.htm

But like other's have stated, you can get deer with a smoothbore.

Interesting... Only $210 for the Nova rifled barrel. I thought it would be more expensive. So I suppose that's an option if I want to switch to a riffled bore.

The only issue is that I am in Canada and I doubt I'd get that kind of a price up here. I am not even sure they're available here, but I'm sure there are other alternatives.

Well, from the sound of it, seems like you Benelli owners don't feel the need for the rifled barrels. And you're right; most shots will be within 75 yards making the regular slugs/barrels similarly effective.

This is great... I'm learning more and more!!

And to those who've asked where in Canada I reside, I am in the Toronto area, so close to lots of urbanity! But Ontario (our province) is an awesome place to hunt.. and we now even have an excellent turkey hunt... which is recent b/c turkeys were extirpated.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for you info/help... I very much appreciate it!! :)

This may have been addressed already, but are you using the 3" with the slugs?

Thanks

I use the 3" Brenneke Black Magics right now for Bear Hunting but a 2-3/4" Black Magic will drop a deer no prob.

Glad you are finding this site Helpful! I love it when people get into the outdoors and especially when they start hunting! Have fun making your choices and do a little research on some sites that carry slugs such as Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Brenneke, and anything else your search engine will turn up. Your research has just begun!

Good Luck Hunting and Be Safe! :)

I use the 3" Brenneke Black Magics right now for Bear Hunting but a 2-3/4" Black Magic will drop a deer no prob.

Glad you are finding this site Helpful! I love it when people get into the outdoors and especially when they start hunting! Have fun making your choices and do a little research on some sites that carry slugs such as Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Brenneke, and anything else your search engine will turn up. Your research has just begun!

Good Luck Hunting and Be Safe! :)

I just checked out that Brenneke site. I got some good info. I wonder if they're available up here... I know we have federal, Remington and Winchester.... I'll look forward to shopping for these when the time comes! I'm sure I'll have a new round of questions for you guys by then!! LOL!

thanks

I just checked out that Brenneke site. I got some good info. I wonder if they're available up here... I know we have federal, Remington and Winchester.... I'll look forward to shopping for these when the time comes! I'm sure I'll have a new round of questions for you guys by then!! LOL!

thanks

Brenneke is a German Company so I doubt they sell to the US only. Even if that were the case there are plenty of sites that sell hunting supplies to Canada. Best of Luck!

This is the latest post I got from a Canadian website I frequent. It's actually more of a fishing site...

You are right about not having to use 3.l5" shells but then you are still lugging around a HEAVY 3.5" chambered shotgun for "upland" game.

BELIEVE me....I speak from EXPERIENCE.....you want a FULLY RIFLED Cantilever mount barrel for shooting slugs. I don't care if you get homemade shotgun.......if your truly interested in shooting slugs a fully rifled barrel is like night and day from a smooth bore barrel........I have had some of the best in smooth bores....a Browning vs Mossberg rifled barrel and the Mossy beat the smooth bore Browning hands down...

This is the latest post I got from a Canadian website I frequent. It's actually more of a fishing site...

You are right about not having to use 3.l5" shells but then you are still lugging around a HEAVY 3.5" chambered shotgun for "upland" game.

BELIEVE me....I speak from EXPERIENCE.....you want a FULLY RIFLED Cantilever mount barrel for shooting slugs. I don't care if you get homemade shotgun.......if your truly interested in shooting slugs a fully rifled barrel is like night and day from a smooth bore barrel........I have had some of the best in smooth bores....a Browning vs Mossberg rifled barrel and the Mossy beat the smooth bore Browning hands down...

Everything they said is mostly true, however you need to think about what YOU are doing. Lets say you get a "cheap" gun, and the rifled barrel "only" costs you $200, then you add a scope for say $150, then you start shooting $3 slugs. You probably will get better accuracy out of that setup over a smooth bore, especially at 100+ yards. But look you spent $200+$150+$30(shells to sight in) for the opportunity.

For me, who gets to hunt deer for about 5 days out of the year, I cannot justify spending that kind of money for 2 kills per year tops. On top of that most of the shots I have are

So my advice is this: take a look at how much you hunt and at what ranges. If the answer is only a few days and short, I would say save your money. If the answer is sometimes and far, then the rifled barrel and all that might be worth it. If the answer is often and far buy a rifle.

Interesting... Only $210 for the Nova rifled barrel. I thought it would be more expensive. So I suppose that's an option if I want to switch to a riffled bore.

The only issue is that I am in Canada and I doubt I'd get that kind of a price up here. I am not even sure they're available here, but I'm sure there are other alternatives.

Well, from the sound of it, seems like you Benelli owners don't feel the need for the rifled barrels. And you're right; most shots will be within 75 yards making the regular slugs/barrels similarly effective.

This is great... I'm learning more and more!!

And to those who've asked where in Canada I reside, I am in the Toronto area, so close to lots of urbanity! But Ontario (our province) is an awesome place to hunt.. and we now even have an excellent turkey hunt... which is recent b/c turkeys were extirpated.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for you info/help... I very much appreciate it!! :)

Apparently these barrels are sold nearly everywhere.

http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com///awards.htm

IMO, $400 for the Benelli slug barrel is WAY TOO MUCH.

Benelli appears to be the king of gun marketing. They probably figure that as the Nova/Supernovas become more popular, users will also want a slug barrel. A perfect time to charge high prices, coupled with scarce availability.

Brilliant! ;)

IMO, this is the typical "if you don't have my setup, you are an idiot" post. Much of what is posted is incorrect anyway.

Most Mag/Supermag shotguns are actualy slightly lighter than their 2 3/4" chambered guns anyway and are lighter than slug barreled shotgun, even without a scope.

It's true that a slug barreled shotgun is generally more accurate, especially at longer range, that does not mean that you cannot be accurate with a smoothbore, at least to around 50 yds or so.

My suggestion would be (and is what I'm going to do), is practice and hunt with rifled slugs to see how it goes. If I start seeing deer, but they are always out of range, then I'll look sat a rifled barrel setup.

Lets put a scenario in this thread to play Devil's Advocate: Up here in Maine I can hunt Bear right now, so I am out Upland Hunting with an IC choke but as we move through the forest we come upon a Bear. I always carry a slug or two on me in case of these circumstances because this does happen up here. The versatility of the smooth bore with the IC choke allows me to pop out my #6 with the handy button on the SuperNova that allows me to eject one shell without loading the next one in the magazine and insert the slug (in this case one of my 600 Gr Black Magics) and I now have the opportunity and pleasure of harvesting a Maine Black Bear along with the woodcock and partridge all with one barrel and one choke.....Just a thought, but for me if I am hunting open territory I hunt with my rifle, not my shotgun, because I will get extremely better groups and results with a rifle at long ranges of 150-200 yards or more then with a slug gun.

Yay for Options! But to get back to the Thread's Topic, I still recommend getting a SuperNova, its my favorite pump shotgun that I have ever shot.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by tyson129

• 12 years later...