New SBEII new and it hangs

Waylon

I just got got my new Super Black Eagle II, and I have a question. After purchase I completly disassembled it, cleaned the internal components, and re-assembled. However, I re-lubed the action parts with INHIBITOR rust protector. While duckhunting in 11 degree weather, my first three shots cycled perfectly. I reloaded, and got ready for more ducks. (I'm shooting 3.5" Drylocks. #2s) Well, my first shell exited the gun, but my second shell didn't enter the chamber. I could have possibly taken 2 more Mallards had this thing not jammed, and I was not very happy. I have cycled probably 20 more rounds with no problems, but will this happen again? $1500.00 guns shouldn't jam. EVER!

How much "gun oil" should I use? I didn't saturate it, but it was more than you could apply with a cloth application. Could it have been the Inhibitor? Is this stuff intended for use as a lube as well? Should I relube with actual gun oil, and discard the INHIBITOR? Please help

I have had nothing but trouble with 3.5" Drylocks.

Funny because the HV work perfectly.

I use Breakfree CLP for all my Benellis. It helps keep the black finish black.

The shell not feeding is an indicator of an interruption in the inertia system. The bolt did not travel back far enough to engage the new shell. It happens from time to time, especially on a new gun that has not been broken in.

I caused my own jam on Saturday on a straight over head shot. Just threw the gun up and didn't hold it firmly. Last shell would not feed.

Yes, it will happen again.

I have had 40 or so jams over the years...... in about 25,000 rounds...... most are as you described with yours.....

mudhen - CA

I gave up on 3.5" Drylocks years ago - the expanded hull was getting hung up on ejection and getting stuck lengthwise when the bolt closed. Maybe a crimp problem? Hull length too long? Same shells jammed in a Browning Gold too.

The sharp throat is something some Benellis get over time. The side of the chamber mouth gets rather sharp over the years and can hang up and/or shave shells that are not perfectly round. If shells start hanging up on this sharp edge, I take a diamond knife sharpener and just dull the edge a bit.

Don't know about the heavy clothing, but I did cause a few jams this year on overhead shots when I didn't hold the gun firmly against my shoulder.

mudhen - CA

• 3 weeks later...

Waylon, when oiling your gun its not good to freshley oil a gun and take it out in the cold. See you got the oil cover in your gun and when it gets down close to freezing that oil gets gummy in slows the action down and it takes time for the oil to warm up and then it will cycle. Happened to me before, dont worry bout it.

• 10 months later...

I purchased my first Benneli (SBE II) on December 3rd, 2005 and to my suprise have had a lot of problems with mine not ejecting shells either. It first began with 3.5" Drylocks, but after a day or so the 3" Drylocks were not ejecting. I would have to stick my pinky in the chamber and pull out the shell, then the next shell would automatically load. I did try other shells ( Nitro Mags and cheaper XPert) and they seemed to work for the most part with only one or two "hang ups". For the amount of money I spent on this gun I should be able to shoot anything out there especially Drylocks. Another problem I am having that may or may not be related is when the gun is loaded and chambered, and I want to replace the shell in the chamber with a different size, I depress the button on the bottom of the gun, pull back the lever as it locks in place, remove and replace the shell, but when I depress the button on the side to load the chamber, another shell trys to load and it jambs up. If anyone can help with these problems it would greatly change my opinion of benneli.

If you want to replace the chambered round, simply open the action and drop the new round in.

Do not press the mag. release button. It is normal behavior for another shell to load onto the carrier when the button is pressed.

Regarding your cycling problems, and assuming that you properly cleaned and lubed the weapon before using it, your next step would be to call Benelli Customer Service and see what they say.

I have had it with my SBE II! I have put over 100 heavy rounds thru it and still have a jam or failure to completely cycle about every 4th or 5th shot. I am shooting 3.5" Kent TMatrix, Winchester HV and Federal Non Tox. It does not descriminate. I love the way it feels, swings and points ... But when I start leaving stooling mallards over the decoys because the bolts open to a half cycle ... It's time to go back to the Gold Hunter. Good product, but needs work! HELP!

Originally posted by keydetDucks:

ID ... Yea, you are probably right ... but I would like to know if there is something that can be done to increase its reliability.

Originally posted by tucker301:

I've shot Xpert, Drylock, Fasteel, Federals, Remingtons, AA's and Estates with zero jams.

I guess I'm just lucky.

Make sure you're keeping the gun firmly seated against your shoulder through all three shots.

It woud be an instinctive tendency to start moving away from anything that just pounded you twice in the shoulder, rather than let it hit you again.

If the guns is still under warrenty just send it back to Bennelli. The fastist way to get a problem fixed, is to make the problem a burdon for the manufacturer.

Bennelli will have to do one or more of three things. 1- Nothing, and pay the price in shipping and future sales. 2- Come up with a hardware fix. or 3- Come up with a writen statement and instructions, better defining the funtion and use of the gun, that will explan some reasons for the munfunctioning and how to avoid them. ( better trouble shooting guide)

Benelli knows there's a problem here. Just do a search on the word "jam" "jams" and "jamming" in this forum.

Lets face it, If Benelli was to amitt at there issues, there added would sound like those drug adds. you know, at the end where the drug company tell you about side affects or possible death if you use this product. That not going to happen here. Not with Benelli. "When using this shotgun results may very, including possible failure ." LOL

I will also say in Benelli defence, as with rifles, some ammo works better in some guns than others. The brass case of a bullet is much more consistent in shape and spent length and a plastic shotgun shell. and here in lies most of the problems. I have never seen it stated by Benelli that their shotguns can and will handle all or every make of 12 ga. ammo.

In my life, I have only seen one shotgun add that guarenteed the proformance of there gun. and that was a Remington slugs gun using Remington slugs. Their gun with their ammo. So I guess until we see Benelli Ammo on the shelves at the local gun shops, the jam will go on.

[ 01-17-2006, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Russ F. ]