I think I have a proble with my M4 but I'm not sure

Levallois

Just got a lightly used M4 - looks brand new - the guy said he shot maybe 200 rounds through it. I trying to familarize myself with it I find it's operation confusing. I feel pretty dumb about this but I need help in trying to understand this thing. I looked at the manual on-line and still no help. The only other semi-auto SG that I've used is a Rem model 11 where you load the shells, rack the slide and rock and roll. Not all these dang buttons to worry about.

Here are some of my questions in no real order of importance -

The M4, it seems, will not allow loading at certain times - the loading gate "locks' into closed position. I don't know why? Shouldn't you be able to top the tube off as you go?

Sometimes the slide will lock back when pulled open manually and sometimes it will cycle. Normally when a semi-auto SG is empty, doesn't it lock back like a 1911 all the time?

Sometimes with a dummy shell in the tube, I'll rack the slide and it won't load the shell. It you press the "cartridge drop lever" then a shell is popped into the carrier area? Then it will rack and load. What is the purpose of this?

Pulling back the charging handle and releasing repeatedly while fully loaded with dummy rounds doesn't produce a smooth loading operation. There seems to be a hickup about half way inside the receiver where the cartridge "pauses" before continuing to the chamber. Ejection seems fine.

So, am I doing something wrong here or is there something wrong with my M4? I got it for a good price but not if it's defective. Do you think it's ok to take it to the range and see what's what with live ammo?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Hey John! No worries! Your M4 sounds fine...You just need to get used to how it operates....the cartrige drop lever allows you to change to say a rifled slug by port-loading it instead of it feeding the next round in the mag tube. (by not pulling trigger on the chambered round and not pressing the cartridge drop lever you can eject the round in the chamber without the next one in the mag tube feeding)

The rounds don't leave the mag tube and go onto the shell lifter unless the trigger is pulled. (or cartridge drop lever depressed)

Bolt should lock back when empty if the last round was fired. if it was ejected without being fired (like when changing out a round) it doesn't lock back

The shell lifter is only not allowing a round to be fed into the mag tube if you have dropped the hammer say on a dummy round and the bolt has not cycled. As soon as you rack it again (simulating a fired round you'll see that it will allow you to top off the tube.

A lot of people new to Benelli have this issue so no worries. Play a little more with dummy rounds and remember to pull trigger if you are trying to simulate a round firing and it will all become more clear.

Take Care

Hookster :)

Edited by Hookster

The Benelli Cartridge Drop Lever and the Carrier (latch) Button are genius by simplicity of their mechanical interaction however this combinations is not too clever for the new operator figuring out how to manipulate them to achieve their weapon loading status intentions.

Cartridge Drop Lever

When the Red Dot is visible it indicates:

1. The hammer is cocked.

2. The carrier is “free” to move and the magazine can be loaded. IF the cartridge drop lever is depressed BEFORE loading, the carrier loses its “free” status.

To “free” the carrier on a cocked weapon, DEPRESS the carrier latch button and load normally. This contradicts the assumption “no red dot seen, not cocked” !

IF the magazine is loaded, DEPRESSING the cartridge drop lever releases a shell from the magazine on to the carrier.

IF the magazine tube is empty, DEPRESSING the cartridge drop lever will allow the bolt to be locked in the rearward position (breech open).

The available Benelli M4 Anatomy Manual explains and illustrates these complex interactions in detail.

I would add a minor comment in re: concept.

Your M4 has some loading options that enable you to swap out or unload rounds without feeding from the mag tube.

It may help if you imagine these options in terms of intent (it helped me - I got my M4 and my first thought was, what the heck is this button for and why does it do that? Why won't the mag gate move?).

Imagine you have a slug loaded in the chamber and buckshot in the mag tube. How would you load the buckshot from the tube without firing? Click the cartridge drop lever, then cycle the weapon manually with the charging handle.

If you practice this with dummy rounds it will become very familiar. Also you will get used to manually unloading the shotgun by using the Cartridge Drop lever. The alternative is to push the mag gate back with your finger and free the rounds from the tube. This actually works very well with practice but it's kind of awkward if you're used to pump guns.

Hope that helps.

Took the M4 to the range yesterday. What a machine!! No wonder the Marines adopted it as their combat shotgun. Had two 870 Police Magnum shotguns there as well. Still like the 870 - great pump - but the M4? Once I got the hang of the buttons etc.it was beautiful. Less recoil and very accurate. Used buck at 15 yards and no. 8 bird shot at 10 yards. 75 rounds without a hitch.

And FLAWLS1, take it to the range. All will be revealed.

Thanks to all who replied!!

Took the M4 to the range yesterday. What a machine!! No wonder the Marines adopted it as their combat shotgun. Had two 870 Police Magnum shotguns there as well. Still like the 870 - great pump - but the M4? Once I got the hang of the buttons etc.it was beautiful. Less recoil and very accurate. Used buck at 15 yards and no. 8 bird shot at 10 yards. 75 rounds without a hitch.

And FLAWLS1, take it to the range. All will be revealed.

Thanks to all who replied!!

Hard to explain, frustrating to play with in the living-room, completely intuitive in action.